• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,030 posts in this topic

Good to see some acknowledgement from CGC. No surprise it's as high level as it is as I'm sure there are many moving parts. Unfortunately any real info about the who and how will likely take a long time before it becomes public knowledge. 

We have already made significant improvements to our processes as a result of this incident, and we will continue to take appropriate steps to help ensure that this type of incident does not happen again.

I do hope that these "improvements" and any further changes will be communicated sooner than later so we can all feel a bit better about the their product. 

Question for the masses. The impact is for the latest version on the CGC slabs or any/all?

On 12/28/2023 at 3:16 PM, CAHokie said:

You don’t just “call in” the FBI. Even if something falls into their jurisdiction, they have to decide to run with a case based on their internal guidelines, priorities, and manpower. A couple million dollars is pocket change compared to a lot of crimes out there.  It doesn’t mean local police or another agency wont pick it up, but the more info CGC can learn first, the better.

Of course it falls into their jurisdiction, the perp's committed multiple instances of interstate wire fraud selling books all over the internet that slipped through CGC's cracks. CGC can't investigate anything about those crimes outside of their part in the book scramble. Calling them is the right thing to do, and CGC should do it because they would have the best idea of how many books are in play and of course who is responsible. The feds can take it from there and locate the people directly harmed by the scammer. I'm too tired to continue typing, falling asleep at pc

On 12/28/2023 at 4:17 PM, pdags said:

Anybody know how long it takes CGC's Cert Lookup Count to reset?

I was looking up various high value comics in my collection and after 10 or 15 I started getting the:

Your search activity has exceeded our limits. These limits help to protect the security of our database. Please try again later.

Lol, I feel your pain. I looked up around 120 submissions by the perp the other night. Luckily I have remote access to client's machines all over the country so I would just fire up remote access and keep going when I hit that wall then bounce to the next. I want to say it's at least 15 minutes wait.

On 12/28/2023 at 5:06 PM, bc said:

hm

If the perp has been expanding for several years, he'd likely have a distributed network for both originals, donors and sales. If he's making as much profit as shown by examples in this thread, I'd want to play it low key and have it spread out to avoid IRS scrutiny.

-bc

I've found the perps ad copy going all the way back to 2006. It's hard to say when he started running the swap game, but he appears to have been shill bidding on his own auctions, another one of his little fun fraud activities, and resubmitting them to auction again and again since 2011. The book swapping accelerated rapidly after the custom labels came out. Most of the real big books were swapped from summer of 22 onwards.  

On 12/28/2023 at 8:17 PM, agamoto said:

Of course it falls into their jurisdiction, the perp's committed multiple instances of interstate wire fraud selling books all over the internet that slipped through CGC's cracks. CGC can't investigate anything about those crimes outside of their part in the book scramble. Calling them is the right thing to do, and CGC should do it because they would have the best idea of how many books are in play and of course who is responsible. The feds can take it from there and locate the people directly harmed by the scammer. I'm too tired to continue typing, falling asleep at pc

A lot of things fall into certain jurisdictions, it doesn’t mean they have time to handle it or to make it a priority.  Do you realize the number of scams that go on that make this peanuts? There are movies and there is real life.  The more information CGC can provide showing who did it and how, the more likely a response will happen. 

Edit: Where did you pick up the term “calling them in?” They are not the Pinkertons of the 1800’s.  Yes, if it’s a reportable crime, report it. They will decide from there. 

Edited by CAHokie

On 12/28/2023 at 7:36 PM, agamoto said:

I've found the perps ad copy going all the way back to 2006. It's hard to say when he started running the swap game, but he appears to have been shill bidding on his own auctions, another one of his little fun fraud activities, and resubmitting them to auction again and again since 2011. The book swapping accelerated rapidly after the custom labels came out. Most of the real big books were swapped from summer of 22 onwards.  

I might be wrong, but I thought that the link to zaneglors feedback was working a week ago, and now it's "poof".

https://www.ebay.com/fdbk/feedback_profile/zaneglor

Am I wrong? This was in relation to a specific feedback that was visible, that you guys were talking about on the 21st.

On 12/28/2023 at 8:42 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Contact the FBI at (202) 324-3000, or online at www.fbi.gov or tips.fbi.gov.

Exactly. Report it and let them handle. Heck, maybe Blackstone has some connections. 

On 12/28/2023 at 8:41 PM, sledgehammer said:

I might be wrong, but I thought that the link to zaneglors feedback was working a week ago, and now it's "poof".

Am I wrong? This was in relation to a specific feedback that was visible, that you guys were talking about on the 21st.

It was and that how I was able to find his other name augeliiar 

On 12/28/2023 at 6:41 PM, sledgehammer said:

He made his feedback private shortly after removing all items he had for sale. He also made his Instagram private.

On 12/28/2023 at 7:46 PM, Mdesimone said:
On 12/28/2023 at 7:41 PM, sledgehammer said:

You were able to see his feedback within the last week?

aureliaag is now "private"

Edited by sledgehammer

On 12/28/2023 at 6:46 PM, Mdesimone said:

Can you double check this username? I have another one as aureliaag, which is close to yours, but not exactly. Just want to confirm we have a new one

Edited by brute_nm

On 12/28/2023 at 7:49 PM, brute_nm said:

Can you double check this username? I have another one as aureliaag, which is close to yours, but not exactly. Just want to confirm we have a new one

My mistake. Fixed

On 12/28/2023 at 5:36 PM, CAHokie said:

A lot of things fall into certain jurisdictions, it doesn’t mean they have time to handle it or to make it a priority.  Do you realize the number of scams that go on that make this peanuts? There are movies and there is real life.  The more information CGC can provide showing who did it and how, the more likely a response will happen. 

Edit: Where did you pick up the term “calling them in?” They are not the Pinkertons of the 1800’s.  Yes, if it’s a reportable crime, report it. They will decide from there. 

What do you think "calling them in" means? Anyways, tired of arguing with you about it. CGC is in the best position to report the crimes because of the information they possess, not me.

For everyone's amusement... https://chat.openai.com/share/381a4a54-166e-43de-995c-5d50f9df3264