• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,030 posts in this topic

On 12/29/2023 at 7:58 AM, WolverineX said:

For now, it should just be limited to books that have been reholdered which is a tiny percentage.  Plus they know the scammer's acccount.  This is probably a blessing disguise if it's only one bad actor.  

Unfortunately, as just seen with the 252 posted above…every book has become suspect. 

• Administrator
On 12/28/2023 at 11:50 PM, migmtl76 said:

@CGC Mike Is CGC sending an email statement to all members or is it only being posted on this forum, Instagram, Facebook and the CGC website ? Thank you

Hi

I have not been informed about any e-blast at this time.  

On 12/29/2023 at 8:03 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Unfortunately, as just seen with the 252 posted above…every book has become suspect. 

I don't think that it's as bad as we think.  

Once the scammed book is found,  CGC can go through and tag every book submitted under that submission.  I gut feeling is that this is just one or two bad apples... and all of them can be found with CGC records. If this was happening a lot, it would be been noticed a long time ago....  

On 12/29/2023 at 8:07 AM, WolverineX said:

I don't think that it's as bad as we think.  

Once the scammed book is found,  CGC can go through and tag every book submitted under that submission.  I gut feeling is that this is just one or two bad apples... and all of them can be found with CGC records. If this was happening a lot, it would be been noticed a long time ago....  

This scammer has apparently been at it since 2006.

On 12/29/2023 at 8:08 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

He's been selling that long, and given how chock full of information this thread has become I may have missed it, but are there examples of the tampering going back that far, or just the perp's selling?

The opening of outer wells and sliding in and out of inner wells at will seems especially tied to the newest slab iteration.  And the reholdering as a major piece of the scam is also of relatively recent vintage, as new problems such as Newton Rings and lousy quality control have become especially acute only over the past few years.

I'm hoping, anyway, the tampering scheme is a relatively recent phenomenon, or at least the sheer volume of examples will prove to be.

Im not sure why CGC would call in the FBI   ...UNLESS...  someone inside the company is involved.

Seems to me that calling the police would be up to the individuals that were scammed by the scammer.

-------------------------------------------------

I was also thinking about this though:

Does CGC get paid more for reholdering the more expensive books?

If yes then they will have benefited financially from the scam by collecting higher fees than the scammers books were actually worth.

So financially, this scam may actually have made CGC money because of the unnecessary reholders involved in the scam and the inflated fees.

Of course, CGC takes the huge loss to their reputation, which, im sure they would never see as an even trade but still...

• Administrator

I want to remind people that while we do allow criticism, we do not allow promoting our competitors books.  Tread very lightly regarding this.  If I need to issue warnings I will, and they will start at 3 points or more. I have removed about 6 posts in this thread.   Most (possibly all) surrounded a video with a lot of bad language.  Lets move away from the slab comparison between our books and our competitors.

On 12/29/2023 at 8:08 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

That's okay because every book he has submitted is known. Sounds like they are open to reimbursing anyone who was scammed. 

As long as CGC is transparent with how they fix this, we should be able to survive this problem.  

On 12/29/2023 at 8:15 AM, namisgr said:

He's been selling that long, and given how chock full of information this thread has become I may have missed it, but are there examples of the tampering going back that far, or just the perp's selling?

The opening of outer wells and sliding in and out of inner wells at will seems especially tied to the newest slab iteration.  And the reholdering as a major piece of the scam is also of relatively recent vintage, as new problems such as Newton Rings and lousy quality control have become especially acute only over the past few years.

I'm hoping, anyway, the tampering scheme is a relatively recent phenomenon, or at least the sheer volume of examples will prove to be.

Hopefully you’re right, and the switcheroo is a relatively recent phenomenon.

On 12/29/2023 at 7:31 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:
On 12/29/2023 at 7:15 AM, namisgr said:

Hopefully you’re right, and the switcheroo is a relatively recent phenomenon.

Someone has mentioned shill bidding evidence from before 2016, but the ebay seller IDs, all tied to this particular radius of NY, seem to have really started around the 2016-17 timeframe.

Latest holder timeframe.

On 12/29/2023 at 7:36 AM, DougC said:

Wasn't there just an example of a switched ASM #129 from 2015 a couple pages back?

The 8.0 was graded in 2015 that was swapped in to a 9.0, graded in 2012, that has a new style label (reholder).

Edited by sledgehammer

On 12/29/2023 at 8:35 AM, sledgehammer said:

Someone has mentioned shill bidding evidence from before 2016, but the ebay seller IDs, all tied to this particular radius of NY, seem to have really started around the 2016-17 timeframe.

Latest holder timeframe.

That’s still a long time.  

On 12/29/2023 at 8:36 AM, DougC said:

Wasn't there just an example of a switched ASM #129 from 2015 a couple pages back?

The actual timing of the switch(reholder) is unknown. I believe the buyer bought it in 2019.

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 12/29/2023 at 7:42 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:
On 12/29/2023 at 7:36 AM, DougC said:

The actual timing of the switch(reholder) is unknown. I believe the buyer bought it in 2019.

I'm not positive, but I think it was heritage 2017, ebay ? twice in 2021.

I'm running out of time to check GPA. Sales meeting this morning.

lol

Has CGC ever stated the slabs were tamper proof?

Getting a book graded and slabbed is pretty affordable and as the saying goes: "You get what you pay for"

What exactly are we asking for here? ...to pay $100+ for a tamper proof slab?

I dont think CGC was founded as a comic book flipping company but as a company that would grade and slab your most valuable comics.

We kinda turned it into what it is today.