• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,029 posts in this topic

On 12/30/2023 at 11:46 AM, MAR1979 said:

image.png.d5d9fec3b8cda68944841f5de88685d4.png

Nixon Ends Convertibility of U.S. Dollars to Gold and Announces Wage/Price Controls

August 1971
With inflation on the rise and a gold run looming, President Richard Nixon's team enacted a plan that ended dollar convertibility to gold and implemented wage and price controls, which soon brought an end to the Bretton Woods System.

Before my time, but i learned it in Elementary school :)

Check out The Gold Room at the Omni Mount Washington Resort next time you are in town

On 12/30/2023 at 9:51 AM, Steven Valdez said:

As CGC themselves have stated, there are 'hundreds' of books involved. And Hulk #181 seems to have been a scammer's favourite.

Still a drop in the bucket for CGC/Blackstone. Now if the scammer’s favorite was ‘Tec 27 they might have been in trouble.

On 12/30/2023 at 11:49 AM, NewWorldOrder said:

If those are proven to be compromised and its CGC fault they will pay.

still not a lot of money to them.

Worse case scenario is what many have said happens sooner than expected and Blackstone finds they’ve made what they can from this CGC acquisition and it’s no longer as profitable as they like and dump it. With a nearly $160 Billion market cap Blackstone can dig CGC out of whatever mess this winds up being as long as they actually find it profitable in the end to do so.

IMG_1645.jpeg

On 12/30/2023 at 10:51 AM, trademarkcomics said:
On 12/30/2023 at 10:49 AM, NewWorldOrder said:

Still havent seen those movies believe it or not.  Not sure why just never have.

Sacrilege! It's a rite of passage to watch at least the first two...

Has He Seen Loaded Weapon though!!!

image.png.19cf36facf05d77f9ef36964a1028c8f.png

On 12/31/2023 at 3:54 AM, wiparker824 said:

Still a drop in the bucket for CGC/Blackstone. Now if the scammer’s favorite was ‘Tec 27 they might have been in trouble.

CGC said 'a few hundred' books are affected. I like how they played it down with 'a few' hundred rather than 'several' hundred. Tip of the iceberg in any case... no pun etc etc.

On 12/30/2023 at 8:56 AM, Mephisto said:

Worse case scenario is what many have said happens sooner than expected and Blackstone finds they’ve made what they can from this CGC acquisition and it’s no longer as profitable as they like and dump it. With a nearly $160 Billion market cap Blackstone can dig CGC out of whatever mess this winds up being as long as they actually find it profitable in the end to do so.

IMG_1645.jpeg

There is so much more to this case then just what CGC will do.

First and foremost a lot of the money should come first from the scammer.  There isnt any punitive damages here that I can think of as long as the buyer is made $ whole again. Right?

On 12/30/2023 at 11:54 AM, wiparker824 said:

Blackstone's entire cost of this mess can recouped simply by eliminating the next bonus or 2 of CGC Exec's. Blackstone probably will not do so, but who knows? if they do MCS should be receiving a few resumes soon.

Edited by MAR1979

On 12/30/2023 at 10:00 AM, Nick Furious said:

My Predictions: 

1) CGC will not need to design a new slab to restore confidence in new submissions going forward.  There are easier ways to give a buyer an opportunity to verify that the correct book is in the slab.

They’ve likely been working on a new slab since they registered the last one, so it’s just a question of timing really.  I think it’s all about optics now. The case is frankly embarrassingly easy to tamper with. Pretending otherwise isn’t good for the hobby long term.  

On 12/30/2023 at 12:00 PM, trademarkcomics said:

One of the best spoof movies ever! But you do actually have to see Lethal Weapon to get a lot of the jokes. 

"I'm just taking one of those unmotivated butt in the moonbeam walks."

xD

LOADED Weapon > Lethal Weapon .  IMHO by a lot!

Edited by MAR1979

On 12/30/2023 at 9:02 AM, trademarkcomics said:

It's funny, I just realized I come here because comics are my life and end up derailing every thread I get on talking about everything but comics. I'll stop now, don't want the "moderator" to call me on this. :fear:

That is every CGC thread since 2005 when I joined lol

Example if you look at the QC thread more than half of it just nonsense rather than real issues.

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 12/30/2023 at 9:03 AM, Steven Valdez said:

Or just getting rid of their comics grading division.

Yup expect a shutdown by 1/2/2024

The hobby is over.  Action #1 are now worthless.:ohnoez: