• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,030 posts in this topic

On 12/31/2023 at 7:19 PM, Lightning55 said:

My understanding of it is that it works in a very targeted manner. This allows a weld (plastic surfaces melting together) without heating up the entire frame. It's joined on a molecular level at these surfaces, but it still is not as if it was a single piece of plastic in a mold.

And it isn't applied around the entire perimeter of the frame. So it has vulnerability, but you are supposed to see the seam fracture if separation is attempted. 

Thanks... I mean, it doesn't seem to be a very effective way of sealing anything. Maybe the CGC guys just aren't applying it for long enough? I wonder why they don't just use a plastic-melding super glue or similar.

Edited by Steven Valdez

On 12/30/2023 at 8:55 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Sometimes I dont even send in the case when I need a reholder to save on weight costs.  I smash it and just send the inner well and the label.

@cgcmike  can you confirm that this is acceptable procedure at CGC?  That we can just send a sealed book and some label and it gets reholdered?

Things aren't really that careless there are they?

And here I thought this guy was a huge fan?   Why would he point out such a huge flaw?

• Administrator
On 12/31/2023 at 8:25 AM, Sigur Ros said:

@cgcmike  can you confirm that this is acceptable procedure at CGC?  That we can just send a sealed book and some label and it gets reholdered?

Things aren't really that careless there are they?

And here I thought this guy was a huge fan?   Why would he point out such a huge flaw?

This is not acceptable.

"ReHolder: A comic book in a CGC holder is encapsulated in a new CGC holder. The grade assigned to the book should not change, unless any damage occurred post-encapsulation, in which case the grade will be adjusted accordingly. To qualify, the book must still be encapsulated in its original CGC holder."

The one thing the CGC could publically do next week, that may restore some confidence is announce changes in the reholdering process. Just make an announcement something like,

Do to recent events CGC must temporarily suspend the current reholdering service.  It will still be possible to get books reholdered, but we have determined due to security issues, all books in cases showing any damage must be fully re-evaluated and potentially regraded.  We must also open all inner wells to i sure that the lable and the i formation on the lable are accurate. We will offer this service at a discount from initial grading, but it is necessary to insure the authenticity of books that have been entrusted to us.

On 12/31/2023 at 2:25 AM, Steven Valdez said:

Thanks... I mean, it doesn't seem to be a very effective way of sealing anything. Maybe the CGC guys just aren't applying it for long enough? I wonder why they don't just use a plastic-melding super glue or similar.

I don't think it's done to be airtight or watertight- it's just "good enough" to make it fast. They didn't build these to be reusable either. They designed them to be quick to assemble firstly, and reholder if necessary because they have thousands to do a week. Anything to shave off time and increase their throughput.  

On 12/31/2023 at 9:12 AM, pdags said:

But we don't know for certain if what Briva3 was doing showed any notable damage to the slabs.

But, he was asking for label changes, this should trigger a full re-evaluation also.

On 12/31/2023 at 9:26 AM, drotto said:

But, he was asking for label changes, this should trigger a full re-evaluation also.

I agree.  But this would only catch the MJI type change requests, etc.  Everything needs to be evaluated from the top down, not just the reholder process.

Edited by pdags

On 12/31/2023 at 12:53 AM, Steven Valdez said:

Remember, any tell-tale scuffs or scratches can be easily buffed out using Polywatch (see 1:52 on the video below).

so, the new strategy for selling in this post-Holdergate world is to highlight BA slabs that have scratches and nicks, scuffs and surface wear to ensure it hasn't been monkeyed with. Just lay those new slabs out on the floor around the litter box and let the cats trample them a bit. ^^