• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,030 posts in this topic

On 1/1/2024 at 9:16 PM, BlancoBros said:

I don't think it ever had to be picture perfect. It just had to be good enough to get by cgc for reholdered.
Since things have come to light, we will look closer, and question any little crack.

But two weeks ago, most people would not have looked twice. The swap in his second video would have fooled a lot of people.

I've been wondering if they ever swapped a book and sold it, without sending to to cgc for reholdering?

That's not true, the "case didn't have to be good enough or in any kind of condition to "get past cgc' for reholder"

If mechanical errors with damages in cases happen? They're not always going to be pretty or  "good enough to get by cgc honestly" 

That makes no sense. If a book needs a reholder, they're to look at the book and see if it matches the grade period the end. That wasn't happening.

If what your saying is to fool other collectors WITHOUT sending to cgc, well that is a lame excuse to make youtube videos showing how, and i suspect cgc will send a cease and desist.

If I made videos of how to make Kentucky fried chicken and was even close to where it hurt KFC profits, I'd be in for legal battles too.

Sending a reho,Der to cgc doesn't have to be pretty! :sumo: why? Cause then there would be NO NEED FOR REHOLDER IF IT WAS ALREADY PERFECT. doh!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 1/1/2024 at 9:28 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

At least we almost have a way to fix these issues at home without being detected.  :baiting:

See post above.

On 1/1/2024 at 9:28 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

That's not true, the "case didn't have to be good enough or in any kind of condition to "get past cgc' for reholder"

If mechanical errors with damages in cases happen? They're bot always going to be pretty pr "good enough to get by cgc honestly" 

That makes no sense. If a book needs a regolder their to look at the book and see if it matches the grade period the end. That wasn't happening.

If what your saying is to fool other collectors WITHOUT sending to cgc, well that is a lame excuse to make youtube videos showing how, and i suspect cgc will send a cease and desist.

If I made videos of how to make Kentucky fried chicken and was even close to where it hurt KFC profits, I'd be in for legal battles too.

Sending a reho,Der to cgc doesn't have to be pretty! :sumo: why? Cause then there would be NO NEED FOR REHOLDER IF IT WAS ALREADY PERFECT. doh!

When people thought they wanted to "see the video?" We probably thought because there already was one.

Nobody meant go make one and try to discover the secret recipie and get yourself in a lot of trouble.

If those videos surfaced at any other time, we'd be saying oh this is how you 3d print a weapon/kfcrecipie/ cgc slab...

All same difference in subject matter, but on different scales of legal activity. @NewWorldOrder thoughts?

On 1/1/2024 at 9:31 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Label notations :gossip:

The slab doesn't need to be perfect to correct label notations doh!

On 1/1/2024 at 10:32 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

The slab doesn't need to be perfect to correct label notations doh!

???

You said there would be no reason to reholder books if the swap was already perfect. The reason for the reholder is to get the MJ insert notation.

On 1/1/2024 at 9:35 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

???

You said there would be no reason to reholder books if the swap was already perfect. The reason for the reholder is to get the MJ insert notation.

If the label notation needs to be fixed the slab is not perfect is what I said

Cgc was supposed to make sure the BOOK matches the case and hasn't diminished in grade with the examining the BOOK period the end.

People who are new must not have never sent for a reholder.

1. Reason one the case broke, then determine the BOOk and see if it still matches the grade in the case. Slabs don't need to be resealed nor look pretty for reholder. The BOOK has to be evaluated period the end. Your lucky if the slab breaks retention and still has the label with the slab. It doesn't need to be resealed as the case isn't the inspection it is the BOOK.
  2. A resealed case that looks pretty or even a regular sealed case with wrong notation on the label? It is STILL THE BOOK that needs the inspection then the correct label.
  3. ABSOLUTELY NO ONE NEEDS TO BE ABLE TO RESEAL A CASE THEN SEND TO CGC FOR REHOLDER. THE REASON THE SCAMMER DID IT WAS TO HAVE CHC RESCAN FOR LEGITIMACY ON THE CERT LOOKUP.
  4. THE ONLY REASON ANYONE NEEDS TO RESEAL A CASE AT HOME IS TO FOOL OTHER BUYERS not to fool cgc @THE_BEYONDER
  5. SHAME ON THE VIDEO FOR EXISTING AND SOME OF US FOR ASKING TO SEE IT!
  6. :roflmao:
Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 1/1/2024 at 10:43 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Cgc was supposed to make sure the BOOK matches the case and hasn't diminished in grade with the examining the BOOK period the end.

People who are new must not have never sent for a reholder.

1. Reason one the case broke, then determine the BOOk and see if it still matches the grade in the case. Slabs don't need to be resealed nor look pretty for reholder. The BOOK has to be evaluated period the end. Your lucky if the slab breaks retention and still has the label with the slab. It doesn't need to be resealed as the case isn't the inspection it is the BOOK.
  2. A resealed case that looks pretty or even a regular sealed case with wrong notation on the label? It is STILL THE BOOK that needs the inspection then the correct label.
  3. ABSOLUTELY NO ONE NEEDS TO BE ABLE TO RESEAL A CASE THEN SEND TO CGC FOR REHOLDER. THE REASON THE SCAMMER DID IT WAS TO HAVE CHC RESCAN FOR LEGITIMACY ON THE CERT LOOKUP.
  4. THE ONLY REASON ANYONE NEEDS TO RESEAL A CASE AT HOME IS TO FOOL OTHER BUYERS not to fool cgc @THE_BEYONDER
  5. SHAME ON THE VIDEO FOR EXISTING AND SOME OF US FOR ASKING TO SEE IT!
  6. :roflmao:

The scammer had a legit 9.8 ASM 252 newsstand slab.  To turn that into a 9.8 MJ insert book….they needed to have it reholdered.  Prior to the reholder, the 9.8 MJ slab doesn’t exist.

What am I missing?

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

If a slab breaks and needs a reholder. The only reason they wouldn't straight regrade is if it broke intact with label, but REGARDLESS cgc would inspect the book

Just because a slab looks nice doesn't mean they shouldn't STILL examine the BOOK. If it so happens to still be "assessed too the grade" According to CGC then it doesn't get FULLY regraded.

No part of that requires a flawless case doh!

Some of them have flawless cases because cgc sends out mislabeled correctly sealed cases that get sent back, but they STILL rexamine the BOOK.

On 1/1/2024 at 9:49 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

The scammer had a legit 9.8 ASM 252 newsstand slab.  To turn that into a 9.8 MJ insert book….they needed to have it reholdered.  

What am I missing?

That case and book for reholder was only sent so cgc would rescan it for the cert lookup. So it would "appear" that CGC graded it that way with the flaws. There is no need in that reholder for the slab to look perfect, only the BOOK NEEDED TO LOOK PERFECT NOT THE "CASE !" @THE_BEYONDER

THESE VIDEOS SHOULD NOT EXIST FOR THEIR OWN LEGAL MATTERS. NONE IF THESE VIDEOS HELPED cgc examine the BOOK!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

No amount of videos showing how to open a case and swap labels undetected help cgc assess the book itself.

A "case doesn't need to look flawless for reholder, "only the book"!!

If the book assessed matches the label even though the case is badly damaged, if gets that grade still because cgc examined the book still.

These videos of proving cgc cases aren't tamper proof are only going to get the YouTuber in trouble, as it is a lousy excuse to make the video, which has nothing to do with why cgc messed up.

The book needs to look at the BOOK not the case 

Same as when you buy a slab, the book needs to look the grade.

Now with these videos showing the world how to swap labels, you really do have to inspect the case as well, because now the videos have an "excuse to exist" and aren't being pulled.

But again that is only going to fool regular buyers not cgc, BECAUSE CGC WILL AND IS "SUPPOSED TO ASSESS THE BOOK AND CAN OPEN INSPECT AND RESLAB WITH THEIR GUARANTEE!" 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 1/1/2024 at 10:04 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’m still trying to ascertain what point you’re trying to drive home….

Why the video of case label swapping,  it isn't needed to somehow trick cgc into a reholder