• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,030 posts in this topic

On 1/1/2024 at 10:08 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:
On 1/1/2024 at 10:07 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

To avoid a regrade…it does 

No it doesn't 

When cgc assesses a reholder it is the book not the case they assess simple as that

The only reason I think y'all are hung up on it is because he could swap labels with the more flawed book. That has nothing to do with the case being flawless though

Cgc first assess the book, then if there happens to be a label case with it see if the book matches the label, not vice versa

Cgc does not just print labels, or their not supposed to.

I've sent for reholder. @Iconic1s has too but idk how badly his case was damaged.

I dropped mine in the garage, it barely fit together. Cgc looked at the book!

The after looking at the book and assessing that condition looked at the label, said close enough and REHOLDERed.

At no point during that was I thinking I need to break out a sonic weld and glue doh!

On 1/1/2024 at 11:08 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

When cgc assesses a reholder it is the book not the case they assess simple as that

On 1/1/2024 at 11:15 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Cgc does not just print labels, or their not supposed to.

I've sent for reholder. @Iconic1s has too but idk how badly his case was damaged.

I dropped mine in the garage, it barely fit together. Cgc looked at the book!

The after looking at the book and assessing that condition looked at the label, said close enough and REHOLDERed.

At no point during that was I thinking I need to break out a sonic weld and glue doh!

If the case wasn’t tamper evident, they are more likely to just reholder the book without further scrutiny.

On 1/1/2024 at 9:07 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

To avoid a regrade…it does 

I think you’re talking about what should have been happening, but as someone who submitted multiple reholders with things like a cracked corner of the slab and had no regrade, just straight reholder with the same cert number retained I can tell you the slab definitely didn’t need to be flawless to get a reholder without a regrade. Will it need to be going forward? I guess time will tell. It certainly could have been one way to have avoided this mess.

There were some reholders that people would get rejected, and they’d have been sent to regrade, these would be cases where the case wasn’t even close to flawless. The case essentially completely shattered or shattered enough to where it was obvious the book could easily be taken in and out. The other way people hit regrades on reholder attempts was when the book looked like it had been damaged within the holder from whatever caused the case to be damaged in the first place.

On 1/1/2024 at 10:18 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

If the case wasn’t tamper evident, they are more likely to just reholder the book without further scrutiny.

That's not the way they've told us in mechanical errors about shipping damage, shaken comic syndrome, and etc. it was always, "we will inspect the book not the case" 

Sure having a case and label help but that's neither here nor there.

My reholder the case had a big chip but book wasn't damaged. Reholdered just fine with no sonic weld or glue. No need whatsoever for these videos

On 1/1/2024 at 10:19 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

willem-dafoe-willem(5)(1).gif.148b6f1af6ab09ff436afbe28f2c1511.gif

That's not funny I'm trying to help. If you ever had a damaged case did you ever feel the need to play humpty Dumpty before sending in for reholder?

Ludicrous 

On 1/1/2024 at 10:22 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Cgc doesn't require you to play humpty Dumpty and put a case back together for reholder.

Period the end

Which makes this scam a lousy excuse to try and post videos of how to scam cgc slabs creating a dumpster fire where everyone gets there own smoking. Gun

On 1/1/2024 at 10:23 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

And…,

fade to black

Lol I hope 🙏 Lord willing I was clear enough.

When normal reholder slabs break it ain't pretty or flawless. I dropped mine on the floor. I didn't then stick it in the oven like the video really and try to melt the plastic back together. :roflmao:

On 1/1/2024 at 10:26 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

When normal reholder slabs break it ain't pretty or flawless. I dropped mine on the floor. I didn't then stick it in the oven like the video really and try to melt the plastic back together. :roflmao:

Therefore it wasn't "needed for this scammer to pull off a reholder", therefore there "is no reason for people to make these videos of how to do it lol

Ludicrous 

On 1/1/2024 at 11:26 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

The scammer was trying to avoid CGC scrutinizing the book itself.  A slab that shows no damage helps achieve this goal.

On 1/1/2024 at 10:24 PM, Microchip said:

It doesn't affect the story, the grader had it right all along :sumo:

It should be assigned it's own pedigree really... with a custom label thrown in for good measure :shy::whistle: 

Instead thanks to CGC polling some "Trusted members of the community " this is what the label for that book looked like.Hulk1.jpg.a3536e8699eb7e3fe673009a3f7cee81.jpg.d171633728479a528436170e4da7ae6e.jpg