• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,029 posts in this topic

On 1/4/2024 at 2:26 PM, LordRahl said:

Perfect illustration of what NWO @NewWorldOrder and I have said multiple times in this thread. 

I'm not sure Ewert did anything illegal. He submitted books and CGC missed the fact they were micro-trimmed.  It's unethical and immoral, but where is the crime? 

On 1/3/2024 at 7:35 PM, Book Guy said:

As I don't keep up with more modern prices I'm sure any guesstimate by me as to the $$ value of his sales were would be pathetic. Anybody else want to take a swing? I know he sold over the course of a big rise in prices so copies sold in 2016 will likely be a lot less than similar copies in 2021. Also we don't know what % were truly Sold and how many were simply shill bidding exercises.

Still, take a shot! Anybody got a $$ range?

I originally thought the total value of this scam topped out at around $400k. That was before CGC published a list with ASM 1, AF15, and multiple JIM 83's on it, most signed. Now, think the scammer could have made of with over a million dollars over the last three years.

On 1/4/2024 at 8:40 PM, ShaggyB said:

Look at it this way.

While your faith in cgc is shaken, the fact that the scammer was doing this to books you have at the grade level you have them at means they are more desirable as he was cheating people out of money who want what you legitimately have.

So again, short term it feels devalued and may be harder to cash out on today, but long term it retains and grows in value because it is highly sought after and it never really lost that value due to its age and rarety

See I am not worried about cashing out. I am not a reseller or anything like that I am a collector I collect books that I like and I grade them in cases that I like. For e.g. all my golden age books are in other slabs because I like the minimalist design of the previous labels, now that they changed the label they don't get my golden age books. 

In this situation I was asked if my personal collection ha lost value. Yes my personal collection has lost value to me.

Edited by gmasstermcd
removed company name

On 1/4/2024 at 5:40 PM, wombat said:

In your head does this seem like you are making a good point? Just curious. 

I am just asking an honest question about the falling knife that some of you claim is happening.

I mean if I owned stock in a company and it was going to zero I would love to have someone like me there to buy it before you lose it all.

Would you like to sell your CGC books before they go to zero?  I will give you 50% of current market value.

On 1/4/2024 at 5:41 PM, MyNameIsLegion said:

Looks like Roy hacked this guys account  judging by the number of relentless irrelevant posts 

Roy is my arch enemy.

I yell at him at least 2 a year.

On 1/4/2024 at 8:45 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

I am just asking an honest question about the falling knife that some of you claim is happening.

I mean if I owned stock in a company and it was going to zero I would love to have someone like me there to buy it before you lose it all.

Would you like to sell your CGC books before they go to zero?  I will give you 50% of current market value.

50% of market value is not that low. It's what decent comic shops offer. Anyone trying to pitch a collection that would go to a shop maybe they get offered 60-65% on already graded books but 50% isn't a horrible offer to start

On 1/4/2024 at 8:43 PM, gmasstermcd said:

See I am not worried about cashing out. I am not a reseller or anything like that I am a collector I collect books that I like and I grade them in cases that I like. For e.g. all my golden age books are in CBCS slabs because I like the minimalist design of the previous labels, now that they changed the label they don't get my golden age books. 

In this situation I was asked if my personal collection ha lost value. Yes my personal collection has lost value to me.

I can understand that and respect that. I have certain books i would never part with for the same reason.

I just dont share that view. But again, thats a personal way of looking at it and i do get where you are coming from.

If its any consolation to you, others could still value your collection at a level above where you currently do based on an issue by issue approach.

On 1/4/2024 at 8:45 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Well if you are a collector and have the books you have because you want them and not an investor or seller everything you said makes zero sense. I have never sold a book in my life. I'm sure I have some that have dropped in value. I don't care. 

Apart from that your agonizingly long endeavor to prove your "point" was painful to watch. 

On 1/4/2024 at 8:47 PM, gmasstermcd said:

50% of market value is not that low. It's what decent comic shops offer. Anyone trying to pitch a collection that would go to a shop maybe they get offered 60-65% on already graded books but 50% isn't a horrible offer to start

Hahaha i see that a lot... in fact the newest fancy LCS near me gives 35% value on slabs if you sell to them.

People have to be desperate for that in my opinion

On 1/4/2024 at 8:48 PM, wombat said:

Well if you are a collector and have the books you have because you want them and not an investor or seller everything you said makes zero sense. I have never sold a book in my life. I'm sure I have some that have dropped in value. I don't care. 

Apart from that your agonizingly long endeavor to prove your "point" was painful to watch. 

Exactly value to collectors rarely has anything to do with how much you can sell a book for.

On 1/4/2024 at 8:43 PM, gmasstermcd said:

like the minimalist design

I feel your pain... I just want a clean, minimalist design across my entire collection, but I can never get there. It's like an OCD itch that I can never fully scratch.  By the time I start getting close, labels change.

On 1/4/2024 at 5:47 PM, gmasstermcd said:

The point I was getting some of people here *see below* are the same people who complain on these boards 24/7, and are total hypocrites.  They say for example in this thread values of CGC are now drastically heading downward, but if they sold any of their CGC books they would certainly not discount them because of this scandal.  Nothing was directed at you personally.

On 1/4/2024 at 5:48 PM, wombat said:

Mostly you provide nothing to the CGC boards besides constant negativity and whining for years.

On 1/4/2024 at 5:49 PM, MyNameIsLegion said:

Somebody please sell him your Eternals, Ms. Marvel, and She Hulk #1s :devil:

I might pay you extra just to get them out of my house!

On 1/4/2024 at 8:53 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

I might pay you extra just to get them out of my house!

I mean that movie sucked and those disney+ shows were substandard.

Ill give you $5 and 5c for that She Hulk

On 1/4/2024 at 5:51 PM, gmasstermcd said:

Exactly value to collectors rarely has anything to do with how much you can sell a book for.

You usually buying at Market Value, and most sell at Market value.

I understand you point, but when it time to sell I am sure you wont be okay with 50% of the value just to be a nice guy lol