• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,029 posts in this topic

On 1/4/2024 at 7:35 PM, comeaux said:

You stalk these boards 24/7 but you didn’t know this lol

Actually I am barely on the boards anymore.  Only come back on for special occasions. 

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 1/4/2024 at 10:33 PM, wiparker824 said:

Like I said there are other grading companies that provide yellow labels for books that aren’t witnessed. So the question is, hypothetically of course, does a 6.5 CGC SS + 5.0 CGC go for more than a 6.5 CGC SS + 6.5 “company which won’t be named” SS? 

That's the only avenue I see to send off another signed book but even then you are running the risk that the book will not be verified.  Now, maybe a Stan Lee forgery is 'worth it'.  Stan's signature was really a cringeworthy thing in the later years so there are many opportunities to forge that.  However, J Scott Campbell? 

On 1/4/2024 at 10:35 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Yup you are reading my mind, from that FF book you can get the tats right?

FF 252.  When I was a kid FF 252 was a hard book to find because comic stores would keep them behind the counter to donate the tattooz when a ASM 238 entered the store. 

On 1/4/2024 at 7:37 PM, Buzzetta said:

FF 252.  When I was a kid FF 252 was a hard book to find because comic stores would keep them behind the counter to donate the tattooz when a ASM 238 entered the store. 

Interesting.

You were around back in the day, what do you think is bigger this or the Ewert?

IMO Ewert by a mile.

On 1/4/2024 at 8:36 PM, Buzzetta said:

That's the only avenue I see to send off another signed book but even then you are running the risk that the book will not be verified.  Now, maybe a Stan Lee forgery is 'worth it'.  Stan's signature was really a cringeworthy thing in the later years so there are many opportunities to forge that.  However, J Scott Campbell? 

Yeah I mean for the record I don’t think all of these yellow labels are fraudulent. I specifically don’t think the AF15 or the JSC ones are. The AF15 like I said many pages ago at this point was signed in AZ (where the scammer was located) at the Ace Comic Con in one of Stan’s last signings. We have no record that book has ever been sold after this and more than likely was a PC or long term investment book for the scammer and isn’t fraudulent at all. The scammer probably sent it back to get the custom label, and that was it. But again we don’t know for certain, and if it’s on this list and gets sent back it does pose the question of what CGC plans to do, because if they suspect tampering then one would expect them to strip the yellow label.

Edited by wiparker824

On 1/4/2024 at 9:08 PM, paqart said:

Th eonly reason I can think of for including SS comics is that they suspect he is forging signatures. For the record, the silver ink back cover "Stan Lee" on the AF15 looked wrong to me. Every other SL sig that I've seen is clearer than that. As for the interior sig, no way to tell. Maybe that sig is legit but the scammer wanted an SS label, impossible for a sig that pre-dated the CGC, so he figures there's no harm in adding a fake one?

On 1/4/2024 at 9:29 PM, Buzzetta said:

Right.  And that is what I am not getting.

What is the purpose of monkeying around with a signed book to begin with? 

That is kinda where I was going with this.

On 1/4/2024 at 8:56 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Does anyone have pictures of the $2000 AF #15 that was auctioned off by the Nassau County PD in the forfeiture of Wall of Fames "authentic " portion of inventory seized during the "Carlos Seneca" aka Danny Dupcak in 1998 ?

How crazy would it be to think this might have actual ties to that case? 

As someone already mentioned some of these books may be from or for his personal collection. 

Now imagine that Danny during his forgery days added a Stan Lee 86 sig to that 1st page on an AF #15 that was originally missed when they sold off the Wall of Fame books and they believed it to be real. Later he repurchased the book and decided to get  a CGC signature series label added by having it witnessed and signed by Stan on the back . 

On 1/4/2024 at 7:44 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

That is kinda where I was going with this.

As someone already mentioned some of these books may be from or for his personal collection. 

Now imagine that Danny during his forgery days added a Stan Lee 86 sig to that 1st page on an AF #15 that was originally missed when they sold off the Wall of Fame books and they believed it to be real. Later he repurchased the book and decided to get  a CGC signature series label added by having it witnessed and signed by Stan on the back . 

Danny also makes this scammer look like a warmup I agree.

On 1/4/2024 at 9:45 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Danny also makes this scammer look like a warmup I agree.

With the addresses and the sheer amount of 9.8's there isn't anything that says this isn't Danny or he isn't involved. 

On 1/4/2024 at 7:46 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

With the addresses and the sheer amount of 9.8's there isn't anything that says this isn't Danny or he isn't involved. 

You know who knows. (shrug)

Danny never came up that's for sure.

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 1/4/2024 at 10:18 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Listen dude tough to have a real conversation with someone who doesnt know what auction sites even charge or knows the difference between market value and net profit.

Not an accountant, I see.

Quite funny that you are criticizing someone for these terms when you don't have them correct either. I think they call that being hypocritical. 

From your earlier post, you are defining net profit as what you receive after auction fees. This would actually be "net proceeds". What your net profit is would be the difference between what the book sold for, and all expenses involved (auction fee, shipping, original purchase price, etc.). 

On 1/4/2024 at 9:48 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

You know who knows.

Danny never came up that's for sure.

He has been brought up a few times. About opening the older cases. Micro trimming to attain 9.8 and forged signatures. 

On 1/4/2024 at 9:06 PM, gmasstermcd said:

Calling someone a jerk and saying someone is being kind of a jerk are not the same.

EXACTLY the same.

Just like if you said that someone's response was based on ignorance, you are inferring that they are ignorant. 

On 1/4/2024 at 7:48 PM, Lightning55 said:

Not an accountant, I see.

Quite funny that you are criticizing someone for these terms when you don't have them correct either. I think they call that being hypocritical. 

From your earlier post, you are defining net profit as what you receive after auction fees. This would actually be "net proceeds". What your net profit is would be the difference between what the book sold for, and all expenses involved (auction fee, shipping, original purchase price, etc.). 

Wait isnt that Gross Profit? Or isn't that more RoE? or Options Call or puts?

I forget you are right. Thanks for the correction.

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 1/4/2024 at 10:53 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Wait isnt that Gross Profit? Or isn't that more RoE?

Gross profit would have been an acceptable term. But not net profit.

And I think you mean ROI, not RoE. And it wouldn't be ROI, which is expressed as a %.

You mock a guy who got it wrong, as got it wrong. Priceless. 

On 1/4/2024 at 7:58 PM, Lightning55 said:

Gross profit would have been an acceptable term. But not net profit.

And I think you mean ROI, not RoE. And it wouldn't be ROI, which is expressed as a %.

You mock a guy who got it wrong, as got it wrong. Priceless. 

Wouldnt that also be Ordinary income or capital appreciation after expenses were taken out?

You also have to add back in the sales tax right?

On 1/4/2024 at 11:01 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Wouldnt that also be Ordinary income or capital appreciation after expenses were taken out?

You also have to add back in the sales tax right?

In Bizzaro World, yes.

On 1/4/2024 at 8:10 PM, greggy said:

WTF?

Is this a need for some accounting advice?

xoxo

greggy

Assets-liabilities = comics are now over.

That's what is going on here Greggy my old friend.

I have been doing it all wrong for years.

Edited by NewWorldOrder