• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,028 posts in this topic

On 1/5/2024 at 6:42 PM, HighGrade said:

I still firmly stand by the fact that any attempt to swap and reseal will be noticeable if you look, and CGC should be talking about that fact that there will be signs of tampering.  Maybe they fear saying that plain and simple an employee just did not checked well enough on cracked holders would be worse for them, but eaving this "you can easily swap and reseal good enough to fool CGC themselves is hurting MUCH more than just admitting a "bad" employee did not do his job on cracked holders would be better.

I think CGC is realizing they can't easily or cost-efficiently differentiate between tampering and an accident.  If they can't easily tell the difference than collectors can't either.

IMHO the re-holdering process is going to become way more expensive (basically the cost of *verifying* the grade and slab and re-sealing everything), way more stringent, or for un-damaged slabs only.  If the later, all damaged slabs will end up being re-graded.  I don't think CGC wants this as the cost will only go up due to time and effort, so they're looking at it very carefully trying to figure out how to keep costs down.

I'm actually thinking about sending in a few books for re-holdering before any changes in price or the service happen.  ;-)

Edited by pdags

On 1/6/2024 at 8:32 AM, pdags said:

I'm actually thinking about sending in a few books for re-holdering before any changes in price or the service happen.  ;-)

I’m wondering if CGC is going to put out revised reholder protocols.  

On 1/6/2024 at 7:57 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Have we ruled out his involvement in this debacle?

I don't believe anyone has been ruled out.  

However, to be fair, there are about two million people who live or work in Queens so the stuff getting mailed from there doesn't mean much.

Just goes to show how awful Marvel comics is and their fanbase. Marvel fans have been trying to push their comics hard to raise values. These same fans have been trashing and destroying anything DC for many years on the internet as well (especially DC movies). Marvel movies are the worst. Its boring kiddie trash, just like their comics.😂🤣😂🤣

On 1/6/2024 at 9:57 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Dupcak is a loner, he wouldn't get involve with this guy and spill HIS trade secrets. He does have lackeys that he uses for his aliases, like Ed Kelly. Although, I am not sure Ed is still with us anymore. :angel:

On 1/6/2024 at 10:03 AM, shadroch said:

I don't believe anyone has been ruled out.  

However, to be fair, there are about two million people who live or work in Queens so the stuff getting mailed from there doesn't mean much.

Correct.  Queens Pop is  ~2.4Million. Plus as was pointed out earlier contains the largest Fedex and UPS Hubs in the United States. Please some of the largest USPS hubs as well. 

Then you have Brooklyn with ~2.5Million right next to and partially surrounding Queens served by some of the same distro hubs.

Lastly Nassau County border Queens with ~1.3 Million Pop.  The western half of the county is also served by the same hubs.

Bottom line Queens is a HUGE Metropolitan Area.  Easily in the top 2 most difficult places in the United States to narrow down anybody.

Edited by MAR1979

I'm not putting a name on scamboy, because at this point, 1000 miles away, I can't document that the faces that we are positive are Bree and "Zaneglor", officially are.

Despite clear evidence that both have had facebook accounts, so far I have not spotted a photo on one of Bree's friends that says something obvious, like "Me and Bree at the Rangers game".

"Zaneglor's" facebook page is clearly gone.

Bree's facebook page offers no clue.

The logic in the connection is irrefutable, and whether it is a federal agency, or a local NY agency, someone will officially document it.

I will say that it appears to me that scamboy applied for a license for a new business name, connected to "comics" in December.

Any other speculation at this point, probably doesn't add anything to the thread at this point.

On 1/6/2024 at 10:25 AM, sledgehammer said:

I will say that it appears to me that scamboy applied for a license for a new business name, connected to "comics" in December.

Before or after this thread appeared?

On 1/6/2024 at 1:41 AM, Iconic1s said:

OR they, meaning CGC, just weren’t checking for the evidence of the tampering.

Based on the tonnage of posts in the QC thread and my own experiences with MEs, I can easily believe this is where the weak point was. 

On 1/6/2024 at 5:12 AM, mr_highgrade said:
On 1/6/2024 at 4:57 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Dupcak is a loner, he wouldn't get involve with this guy and spill HIS trade secrets. He does have lackeys that he uses for his aliases, like Ed Kelly. Although, I am not sure Ed is still with us anymore. :angel:

Quick question: This may have been confirmed elsewhere, as it's been discussed multiple times in past threads, but is eBay seller "kellyssuperheroes" Daniel Dupcak?

On 1/6/2024 at 9:16 AM, MasterChief said:

Quick question: This may have been confirmed elsewhere, as it's been discussed multiple times in past threads, but is eBay seller "kellyssuperheroes" Daniel Dupcak?

Almost certainly.

On 1/6/2024 at 7:32 AM, pdags said:

Good luck!  I’m personally not sending in any reholders until this all blows over.  I’d hate to have my book there and then suddenly be subject to a new policy I don’t agree with (such as sending everything back for regrading all books).

On 1/6/2024 at 8:21 AM, MAR1979 said:

Correct.  Queens Pop is  ~2.4Million. Plus as was pointed out earlier the largest Fedex and UPS Hubs in the United States. Please some of the largest USPS hubs as well. 

Then you have Brooklyn with ~2.5Million right next to and partially surrounding Queens served by some of the same distro hubs.

Lastly Nassau County with ~1.3 Million the western half side is also served by the same hubs.

Bottom line Queens is a HUGE Metropolitan Area.  Easily in the top 2 most difficult places in the United States to narrow down anybody.

If Queens was still a separate city and not the newest part of NYC, it would be the fourth biggest city in the country.