• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,028 posts in this topic

On 1/9/2024 at 10:40 AM, agamoto said:

Do you buy/sell/trade CGC branded slabs? If so, you're entitled to know what the hell is going on. 

I am not a shareholder of Blackstone nor do I work for the company so no unfortunately I am not entitled.

I dont' need a play play from them.  I am sure sometime in the near future CGC will make another announcement on the cliff notes of the current state of how this situation is being handled, and that's it.  I have no connection to my knowledge to any of the books or people supposedly involved. 

Yes, I only sell graded slabs as my main income.  Scanning books as we speak. 

:preach: I sell tamper-free CGC books since 2009! Come take a look. :shy:

On 1/9/2024 at 1:45 PM, Heronext said:

The quiet collector, the reader who enjoys, the kid who bought his comic for ten cents in 1940 and read it a hundred times are the soul of this hobby

Unfortunately this whole event has crushed my joy... ATM, every slabbed book looks like a scam.

On 1/6/2024 at 8:03 PM, Heronext said:

A few seconds of this are interesting.  The pic below is the scenario as I see it.  A = zaneglor and & B = briva3. Likely real names have been put forth from what I've seen (not in this video).  YouTuber refers to the A-C relationship, casts particular suspicion on C and partially names them.  This is what he seems to be putting forth as the 'scoop'.

scammer2.jpg

Of course nothing being said today confirms the above theory, but this diagram is probably a bit more relevant for everyone now that didn’t watch Thoro’s stream. 

Edited by wiparker824

On 1/9/2024 at 10:46 AM, pdags said:

I was thinking about this the other day, but in the opposite direction.    With some of these books being high profile/expensive, what if he sold some to the wrong people.   People have disappeared for less.

I don't wish ill on anyone and want justice to be done... but nothing more.

You know what they say, if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

On 1/9/2024 at 11:27 AM, mrd160 said:

THE MOST INFAMOUS RUG IN HISTORY.....like a scarlet letter.......

It looks like the old rug at my house that I thankfully replaced with hardwood years ago.

On 1/9/2024 at 1:57 PM, wiparker824 said:

Of course nothing being said today confirms the above theory, but this diagram is probably a bit more relevant for everyone now that didn’t watch Thoro’s stream. 

If they haven't from the start, CGC perhaps might consider implementing a form of KYC policy -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Know_your_customer

Know Your Customer (KYC) guidelines and regulations in financial services require professionals to verify the identity, suitability, and risks involved with maintaining a business relationship with a customer. The procedures fit within the broader scope of anti-money laundering (AML) and counter terrorism financing (CTF) regulations.

KYC processes are also employed by companies of all sizes for the purpose of ensuring their proposed customers, agents, consultants, or distributors are anti-bribery compliant and are actually who they claim to be. Banks, insurers, export creditors, and other financial institutions are increasingly required to make sure that customers provide detailed due-diligence information. Initially, these regulations were imposed only on the financial institutions, but now the non-financial industry, fintech, virtual assets dealers, and even non-profit organizations are included in regulations.

KYCC or Know Your Customer's Customer is a process that identifies a customer's customer activities and nature. This includes the identification of the customer's customers and assessing the risk levels associated with their activities.

KYCC is a derivative of the standard KYC process that arose because of the growing risk of fraud obscured by second-tier business relationships (e.g. a customer's supplier).

On 1/9/2024 at 12:45 PM, agamoto said:

What's really bad, to me, is that CGC is not telling us they are having feds investigate this fraud. All they want to tell us is they are self-investigating the matter.

This is a potential $1,000,000+ case of good ol' fashioned federal, felony, interstate wire fraud and those guilty of their crimes can end up serving ZERO jail time if evidence of the matter is not gathered and handled in a manner that is admissible in court.

Unfortunately, these type of scams will continue to occur with other shady characters in the future, if CGC does not get law enforcement involved. Just like Ewert, the ramifications for these type of scammers is that hey, we found out what you were doing, so now you have to leave the hobby, but can keep all the money you stole. For CGC, they would much rather incur a few million dollars in losses (via design of new cases and reimbursement of scammed customers), than have this go to court where all the dirty laundry is out on display. A court case could also bring some media coverage to this issue, which they'll avoid like the plague.

On 1/9/2024 at 11:55 AM, skybolt said:

Unfortunately, these type of scams will continue to occur with other shady characters in the future, if CGC does not get law enforcement involved. Just like Ewert, the ramifications for these type of scammers is that hey, we found out what you were doing, so now you have to leave the hobby, but can keep all the money you stole. For CGC, they would much rather incur a few million dollars in losses (via design of new cases and reimbursement of scammed customers), than have this go to court where all the dirty laundry is out on display. A court case could also bring some media coverage to this issue, which they'll avoid like the plague.

They will certainly continue to occur if those with the balls to commit the crimes aren't put in prison for it. Now you've got GoCollect chiming in saying they'll delete records of affected books too. Let's just light ALL the evidence of any criminal acts up with some lighter fluid and a match.

On 1/9/2024 at 9:29 AM, Mikey C said:

The issue with faking signatures, they’d have to take it out of the inner well and then reseal it within the inner well. We haven’t seen proof of this capability yet. My brain hurts. 

True...that would add a whoooolllleee other concern to the situation. So in addition to being super elaborate, it would have been an even more difficult scam to pull with this book. Perhaps that means there is a good chance it is legit for the owner then

On 1/9/2024 at 1:57 PM, wiparker824 said:

I took a break for a few days.  Is there a quick summary or youtube video about what has been uncovered about the seller? 

On 1/9/2024 at 2:09 PM, comicginger1789 said:
On 1/9/2024 at 8:29 AM, Mikey C said:

My brain hurts. 

True...that would add a whoooolllleee other concern to the situation. So in addition to being super elaborate, it would have been an even more difficult scam to pull with this book. Perhaps that means there is a good chance it is legit for the owner then

Spoiler

It is funny, when y'all said it, it sounded normal :insane: 

giphy.gif