• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,028 posts in this topic

On 1/12/2024 at 11:18 AM, BrashL said:

Aaaaaaaand it’s gone. 

I still see the post (shrug)

On 1/11/2024 at 10:15 PM, HighGrade said:

With people bringing up Comic Book Station, someone found a listing and CGC wrong book error and they removed listing after someone contacted them. I think I saw this mentioned a week ago in someones Youtube comments, anyway it was a Captain Atom 83 CGC 6.0 from 1977 the 35 cent Modern Comics version, but the CGC label was "wrong" it showed it as the original 1966 12 cent Charlton version, They had it up for sale as the 1966 version by mistake. Not really a big deal, but I just thought it was interesting with people bringing them up, I was like hey I remember that name. here is the link, it was about a week ago. I never knew there was so many error labels until this thing hit I started looking into stuff, even found errors in the subs from the 350.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115965985978

Oh man, CGC issues TONS of wrong labels. Here are two slabs I have on me just as an example, and I'm about to write a topic asking the community for advice.
This Detective 400 has CK Elite Edition erroneously written on the top and the B&B 200 does not mention that it's the Canadian Price Variant.

IMG_0998.jpeg

IMG_0997.jpeg

Edited by William-James88

On 1/12/2024 at 8:47 AM, EastEnd1 said:

They also need to be more transparent than they have been.  Their last posting was on January 3rd.  A LOT of questions have been raised with no answers forthcoming.  I'm sure they, and many others, would like for this incident to just disappear.  Me too!  But if the situation is in fact substantially larger than these 350 books (which still haven't been defined as to why they are on this list), CGC is just delaying the inevitable.  As we've learned, there are MANY amateur comic detectives that are quite adept at sniffing out shenanigans.  The last thing CGC or any of us need is a slow bleed of scandals.  I wouldn't be rolling the dice on that possibility.  Either give us assurance that we're good to go, or tell us that you're still investigating and here's an update on our efforts.  I'll still be patient as I know investigations take time (though I'm not sure why carefully worded updates aren't forthcoming).  But at some point, for me, silence becomes "Houston, we have a problem."     

They could be taking a page from software developers' approach to this: letting the public do the footwork, while they collate information everyone else has gathered, formulating their next step internally. Software companies have been releasing buggy software for two decades, letting end-users troubleshoot the problems for them, where the make all the bug fixes and push an update. We may not see a response from them until they've made the next significant step behind the scenes.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 1/12/2024 at 9:34 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

Can't Guaranty Case. :frown:

OOOoooo that one might stick.

On 1/12/2024 at 11:31 AM, Dr. Balls said:

They could be taking a page from software developers' approach to this: letting the public do the footwork, while they collate information everyone else has gathered, formulating their next step internally. Software companies have been releasing buggy software for two decades, letting end-users troubleshoot the problems for them, where the make all the bug fixes and push an update. We may not see a response from them until they've made the next significant step behind the scenes.

Let's hope so :wishluck:

On 1/12/2024 at 8:39 AM, Nazirite said:

Just a heads up CGC is a little…. sensitive…. when it’s come to comparing slabs with the competitions, especially nowadays. You may want to delete. 

On 1/12/2024 at 9:43 AM, MrPcfixer said:

If CGC sensors 100% honest truth thats entirely up to them. But it will clearly show the integrity of the person deleting it, along with the companys narrative and bias. I believe CGC can and will recover from this. Unless FACTS are presented in a well articulated environment without obstruction it will be insanely bad for their optics. 

Both of these statements are true - it will be interesting to see how this shakes out.

On 1/12/2024 at 10:53 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'm of the opinion videos that show and describe how to undo cgc holders on the internet shouldn't be allowed, not only here but also on youtube. This is a lousy excuse for said videos, and any other company with videos being made ie KFC secret recipe, weapons, and etc wouldn't be allowed.

Using this to somehow shame cgc into a 3rd party trying to be hired as an independent contractor to help their company with quality slabs is pennywise and pound foolish.

That is what most people see it as, whether they would say it or not. 

Should lock pick videos be illegal too? 

I'm of the opinion videos that show and describe how to undo cgc holders on the internet shouldn't be allowed, not only here but also on youtube. This is a lousy excuse for said videos, and any other company with videos being made ie KFC secret recipe, weapons, and etc wouldn't be allowed.

Using this to somehow shame cgc into a 3rd party trying to be hired as an independent contractor to help their company with quality slabs is pennywise and pound foolish.

These boards are a privilege not a "right"

The fact that people can contact cgc at all isn't an entitlement. It is optics for CGC and I wouldn't plug yourself and everyone else in the foot just to prove how "smart you are"

On 1/12/2024 at 10:57 AM, BrashL said:

If the lock was under contract! Am straight. No one gets away with videos of how to break into bank vaults. CGC is all rights and perpetuity, and if you mess with that, you're the same as the scammer imo

On 1/12/2024 at 10:57 AM, BrashL said:

On 1/12/2024 at 11:00 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

These boards are a privilege not a "right"

The fact that people can contact cgc at all isn't an entitlement. It is optics for CGC and I wouldn't plug yourself and everyone else in the foot just to prove how "smart you are"

If the lock was under contract! Am straight. No one gets away with videos of how to break into bank vaults. CGC is all rights and perpetuity, and if you mess with that, you're the same as the scammer imo

Lets put it this way lol 

CGC is debating doing legal action against said scammer, and your 1st thought is, "well I'm going to do exactly the same thing, but in the name of "good?"

Pennywise pound foolish @CGC Mike if CGC prosecutes this individual, I wouldn't be surprised if they sent these Youtubers a cease and desist at the very least.

Don't youtubers "get  paid" if they reach enough likes and subscribes? I mean that just makes the prosecution so much easier and worse.

I'm just a post in the wind, take heed or don't, it's up to you :cheers: carry on

On 1/12/2024 at 9:05 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Lets put it this way lol 

CGC is debating doing legal action against said scammer, and your 1st thought is, "well I'm going to do exactly the same thing, but in the name of "good?"

Pennywise pound foolish @CGC Mike if CGC prosecutes this individual, I wouldn't be surprised if they sent these Youtubers a cease and desist at the very least.

Don't youtubers "get  paid" if they reach enough likes and subscribes? I mean that just makes the prosecution so much easier and worse.

I'm just a post in the wind, take heed or don't, it's up to you :cheers: carry on

This is a ridiculous comparison.

Testing the integrity of a case and demonstrating the ease, or not, with how it can be opened is LIGHT YEARS away from cracking a case, swapping labels/books, sending back to CGC for a reholder and/or attempting to resell that book to an unsuspecting buyer. 

On 1/12/2024 at 11:53 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'd at least put the asterisk of "undoing CGC holders in a way to scam". Because videos of undoing CGC holders in general have been beneficial to me since I wanted to remove comics from their slabs (for space, signatures, CPR) without causing damage to the book or myself.

I'm not saying CGC "will"

I'm saying, "CGC has the right to"

They stand to lose revenue because of this, already up in arms and to poke the bear is silly.

"Oh you're up on charges for tampering with CGC cases? I got to get me some of that!"

1st day in sentence, "what are you in for?.... "oh money laundering scamming a billion dollar business out of their main source of income" :whatthe:

2nd day of sentence, "what are you in for?, "oh I should everyone with a click on the internet to do what that guy did, making no money except as a youtuber to show how I'm clever and smart I am.

• Administrator

While we do allow criticism, we do not allow promoting our competitors.  The video was removed.  No warnings through the point system were issued this time.

On 1/12/2024 at 11:22 AM, agamoto said:

This is a ridiculous comparison.

Testing the integrity of a case and demonstrating the ease, or not, with how it can be opened is LIGHT YEARS away from cracking a case, swapping labels/books, sending back to CGC for a reholder and/or attempting to resell that book to an unsuspecting buyer. 

Except that is not at all what he describes in the video.

"how to swap! This is how he did it! crime 1" this is how you and the world can do it too!" this is the specific oven degree to get past CGC!"""

What you're trying to describe is, "hey I accidentally put my cgc slab in the oven and it cracked I wonder CGC will notice" 

Which of these sound absurd to you? More importantly which do you think a jury will believe

On 1/12/2024 at 11:22 AM, William-James88 said:

I'd at least put the asterisk of "undoing CGC holders in a way to scam". Because videos of undoing CGC holders in general have been beneficial to me since I wanted to remove comics from their slabs (for space, signatures, CPR) without causing damage to the book or myself.

Well ya, that is the discussion these vidoes are having lol it would be weird to think ( if you've watched some of them) that it is just how to deslab and get the raw.

That isn't what "these videos" discuss, and I shouldn't have to clarify. Not saying "CGC will" but they have every right too.

And that is all I have to say about that :) but thanks to the precious videos, that are "MUST SEE" AND OH WOW"! 

I now know how to do it too, and I wish I didn't hm 

In short people could call it myth busters or true crime TV shows but that this is being blindly accepted as just another day around the campfire just made me scratch my head.

Any video on 'how to do a crime, especially one that is under investigation"

Hit me as iffy at best. If not well hey, call me more wary or ignorant either one. :)

Edited by ADAMANTIUM