• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,028 posts in this topic

On 1/25/2024 at 5:33 AM, Murphman13 said:

I would also like to get a complete explanation by CGC for the books being crossed off the list. Because right now it looks like it means “the issue is resolved”. But does that mean,

1) The book was not tampered with and is staying in its original slab? or 

2) The book was cracked out and determined to be untampered with and re-slabbed with the same certification #? or

3) The same as #2 but it had to be re-graded to fully determine it wasn’t tampered with so it was re-slabbed with a new certificate #? or

4) It was tampered with and they have resolved (or are resolving) the issue.

Secretive lot, aren't they? The only thing transparent about them is the plastic they use.

On 1/24/2024 at 9:43 AM, comicwiz said:

The method being used is completely counter-intuitive to be able to track progress or developments on this impacted list. 

There should be no reason (I can't see this being indeliberate either, because someone planning out the books on the  "impacted" list would surely recognize the issues this would cause) for strikethroughs to comingle books that have been reviewed as legitimate with those deemed compromised.

They're calling it in with the reportfraud@ email in red notation:

They're striking it off the list (we know from precodemonster he's been told it's compromised):

Add this to the ever growing pile of things that make no sense in the the methods being used, not to mention the confusion this creates for those monitoring this list and/or using it to assess what's been impacted and what's been struck off the list (appearing prior to this, books that were determined to be ok).

Protect this man, the CGC natives are restless 

On 1/23/2024 at 10:48 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Best in the Industry?  Yes, I personally feel CGC's case is the best in the industry.  Now some will disagree, and that's fine. 

Then allow me to disagree. I have slabs from four different companies and while I place a higher value on the integrity of CGC slabbed books - I will pay market value for them, while I won't with the others - the physical slabs themselves are probably the least appealing of the four. Ironically, the very nicest slabs I've seen are from the least brand recognised of the companies, which I will only buy if the price is low enough.

On 1/24/2024 at 9:26 PM, wiparker824 said:

Probably bought 2 green label or raw 238’s missing tattooz insert same day as initial buy, swapped into the 9.8 blue label books and subbed both on same day as reholders with custom labels, got em back same day, put them up on eBay together and sold together again. Also resubbed the legit books likely on another submission. 

2 green label + 2 blue label become 4 blue label 9.8’s. This is what they really meant when they said “Hard work has already been done for you”. lol

More like 2 legit blue 9.8, purchased in 8/2022, along with 36 inferior books, become 36 reholdered 9.8's (based on the "list"), and they still have the legit 9.8s to keep churning (until the music stopped).

On 1/25/2024 at 2:57 AM, Steven Valdez said:

Anyone who still submits to CGC has Stockholm Syndrome.

I'm putting together a submission too. My books that I buy or sell are generally around $100 to $200 in value so I'm not concerned about shenanigans. 

On 1/25/2024 at 3:57 AM, Steven Valdez said:

Anyone who still submits to CGC has Stockholm Syndrome.

The incident has had absolutely zero impact on the amount I am sending in for grading. 

You can have whatever opinion you want but I don't believe a panic response is even remotely warranted. 

On 1/25/2024 at 9:34 AM, Stefan_W said:

The incident has had absolutely zero impact on the amount I am sending in for grading. 

You can have whatever opinion you want but I don't believe a panic response is even remotely warranted. 

Really. Just because there is a chance the 9.8 book you buy is a 9.4 that was switched at CGC is no reason to lose faith in the company.  The notion that the scammer gets an awful lot of notes on his 9.8 submissions compared to the general public shows how much CGC cares. It will take more than their slabs having no integrity to cause me to lose faith in them.

On 1/25/2024 at 11:43 AM, shadroch said:

Really. Just because there is a chance the 9.8 book you buy is a 9.4 that was switched at CGC is no reason to lose faith in the company.  The notion that the scammer gets an awful lot of notes on his 9.8 submissions compared to the general public shows how much CGC cares. It will take more than their slabs having no integrity to cause me to lose faith in them.

Cool. I will continue to send in my higher end books so I can maximize the value and my return on investment, and you can continue to express your anger on message boards by arguing with people you don't know who are opting to continue submitting books. No judgment, but from an objective standpoint I think I will be better off in the long run.  

Unless someone at CGC is swapping out my books, I see no issues with ME submitting MY books for grading. I think the concern would be if I tried to then sell MY graded books. But like many others on here, my usual submissions are not really in the wheelhouse of this scam. I did recently submit an ASM 252 newsstand and ASM 238 newsstand with tattoos. Based on the grades (9.2 white and 6.0 white respectively), even if I do opt to sell, I doubt folks will suspect they were swapped. If anything, I just created more "doner" books for a scammer to use for a swap. :pullhair: Knowing that though, I think I'll just keep these for myself. At least for now. I know their origin. I know they are legit.:banana:

On 1/25/2024 at 10:43 AM, shadroch said:

I agree that the unusual amount of (generic and consistent) grader notes is the most unsettling piece in this puzzle.  It doesn't fit very well into a narrative that this was just a random guy pulling one over.  The grader notes wouldn't happen at reholdering, they would happen at initial grading.  It does lead one to wonder if someone on the inside was anticipating that whatever book was inside the case down the road might come under scrutiny.  The grader notes could be designed to give some reassurances to someone in the reholder department who had any hesitations about the book they were reholding.  Also would give some reassurances to a consignment house or eventual buyer who might have concerns.