• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,030 posts in this topic

On 2/6/2024 at 6:04 PM, agamoto said:

Finally! A lawyer in our midst!

I've been harping on CGC to bring the FBI into this for hundreds of freakin' pages, which I know they absolutely could do with a phone call if they wanted to.

The problem with those who actually would like to see some *criminal* justice here is that certified collectibles group already has a track record where no criminal investigation takes place, and the whole messy incident winds up locked down in secrecy via settlement agreement.

NGC, CGC's sister company, went through these paces with a fellow named Richard Albright over on the collector coin side of things. Everything CGC has filed thus far in this case mirrors what they did in that one. See: Provenance NGC LLC v. Albright, 1:23-cv-00406

That suit was settled last August. We've yet to see Mr. Albright face any criminal charges for wire fraud. 

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/11938/

My fear is history repeating itself.

While I understand it's still possible charges could drop before any SoL expiry, is it not unusual CGC would be asking victims of this fraud to send their books/evidence in to CGC for their review instead of suggesting those victims reach out to local/state or federal law enforcement agents to at least file a complaint? Wouldn't having all of that evidence fumbling through the multiple hands (heck, even possibly some alleged bad employees who walk out with books!) at CGC not create a problem for any future criminal investigation and prosecution? 

There is no reason victims of the fraud can't call the FBI themselves.

On 2/6/2024 at 7:45 PM, paqart said:

There is no reason victims of the fraud can't call the FBI themselves.

How could that even compare to CGC taking their accumulated investigation research to the FBI?  If it's agreed that this issue should go to the FBI, then it should go to them through CGC.  

On 2/6/2024 at 9:20 PM, Nick Furious said:

How could that even compare to CGC taking their accumulated investigation research to the FBI?  If it's agreed that this issue should go to the FBI, then it should go to them through CGC.  

I disagree on "should." It "can" but there is no reason it has to. Also, one could argue that it "shouldn't" go through CGC. The reason is that the most easily identified victims are the collectors or dealers who bought the counterfeits, not CGC. CGC did suffer reputational harm, but they are dealing with that via their civil lawsuit. If a criminnal case emerges from customer complaints, all of CGC's research will still land on the desks of law enforcement. CGC does not have to initiate a case for that to happen.

I was on a brief vacation for making the CGC natives restless which was related to posting a meme that has been posted several times before but I included CGC name & name of alleged fraudster. Meanwhile the head CGC cheerleader can post about things he’s done with CGC that are a violation of CGC policy but gets a pass cause he submits a 100 books a week. As stated below:

“For reholder, I don’t care about the broken case, I just send in the label & book and CGC reholder's my book, no problems” xD

in any case, to answer a question about Pacer, it’s easy to sign up and almost free. You are charged 10 cents a page and billed quarterly, if your quarterly bill is less than $30 then you are not charged. I downloaded most of the relevant documents to this CGC disaster and I think I’m at a total of $5 or $6 

in my opinion, it’s beneficial for all citizens to have a Pacer account, download a digital copy of Federal Rules of Civil Procedure (FRCP), a digital copy of United States Code (USC) and the Civil Code of your state. 20 years ago I used to have a Westlaw account but I think you now have to be an attorney to have Westlaw, not sure but it was very beneficial to destroy a bonehead law firm as a Pro Se litigant & was well worth its weight in gold. I learned a long time ago that just because someone is an attorney, doesn’t mean they’re competent. :insane:

The CGC attorneys in this current filing for Cause of Action :facepalm:

if someone wants the entire CGC complaint uploaded here, let me know and I’ll do so if I can post the entire PDF, not sure if it’s allowed or perhaps it may upset the CGC natives and be my last strike :banana:

Edited by comeaux

On 2/7/2024 at 3:01 AM, Gonzimodo said:

rantrant

This is one of my biggest pet peeves in life.  Someone will say "about" or "approximately" followed by a very specific number.  JUST ROUND IT SO YOUR STATEMENT MAKES MORE SENSE!!! :censored:

Sorry, everyone, back to business...

Yes, that happens approximately 64.732% of the time

On 2/6/2024 at 4:43 PM, WolverineX said:

what makes you say that

The fact that it was graded 9.8 in 2011 and is now in a different holder than it was in 2011 (i.e. reholdered)... and that it is one of the books that the scammer liked to swap out through the reholder scam.

Lastly, it looks a little loosely graded IMO for a 9.8 - a lot of dirt on back cover and lower spine corner looks soft.

Just has a lot of characteristics that the scammers inferior reholder books had.

Maybe not 99% but a higher percent than most of us would have likely thought before this scam was uncovered. 

On 2/6/2024 at 11:37 PM, comicjel said:

The fact that it was graded 9.8 in 2011 and is now in a different holder than it was in 2011 (i.e. reholdered)... and that it is one of the books that the scammer liked to swap out through the reholder scam.

Lastly, it looks a little loosely graded IMO for a 9.8 - a lot of dirt on back cover and lower spine corner looks soft.

Just has a lot of characteristics that the scammers inferior reholder books had.

Maybe not 99% but a higher percent than most of us would have likely thought before this scam was uncovered. 

everything is in question now...

On 2/6/2024 at 10:19 PM, comicwiz said:

As I'm slowly going through the mined data for the eBay accounts alleged to be connected to the employees lawsuit, I notice something.

We now have a note that states the following:

If the information displayed above is incorrect or does not match the collectible you are verifying, or if you believe that you have a counterfeit or tampered CGC holder, please contact Submissions@CGCcomics.com. To learn more about counterfeit or tampered CGC holders, click here.

This notation appears below the photos of the book under CGC Cert #: 4355451009

Now, take a moment to look at the cert screenshot below. Look at the notes. Then look at the book.

Seller: omni_collector Cert: 4355451009 [01/07/2024] - $575

Looks like a 1.8 to me.

On 2/6/2024 at 11:38 PM, WolverineX said:

Agreed!

But when you look at the 350 list, there were clearly certain books that were targeted more than others... ASM 194, 238, 252, 300 among them.

Also, reholdered books need to be viewed with more skepticism now (especially 9.8 reholders).

On 2/6/2024 at 8:29 PM, paqart said:

I disagree on "should." It "can" but there is no reason it has to. Also, one could argue that it "shouldn't" go through CGC. The reason is that the most easily identified victims are the collectors or dealers who bought the counterfeits, not CGC. CGC did suffer reputational harm, but they are dealing with that via their civil lawsuit. If a criminnal case emerges from customer complaints, all of CGC's research will still land on the desks of law enforcement. CGC does not have to initiate a case for that to happen.

Exactly. Which is why it is near certain it will never happen.  CGC is banking on this, literally and figuratively. They would much rather pay-off any known victims that send their books back in, and destroy the evidence in the process. NO single victim that could file a credible criminal complaint is out more than a few thousand, maybe 5 figures in a few instances, and they don't know that for certain without cracking it themselves or sending it in to CGC. The perp will never see the inside of a criminal court. This is a romantic notion borne from watching too many courtroom dramas on TV.  The individual victims are spread far and wide, across states, so local and state authorities won't bother. the feds won't bother either, because no one that comes to them can name any of the other victims to join the complaint, and I seriously doubt they can convince a Fed to read 396 pages of this thread to get an inkling of the crime. Only CGC is in a position to make that happen, and they are possibly the LAST entity on earth that would feel compelled to do so. There's literally nothing in it for them, and probably only more embarrassment. 

Looking at this again:

image.png.03f4c313605b163f273ec8b82b3eac9c.png

If that has been prepared as carefully as I would hope legal documents are prepared, it reads as if the 2021 number (253) is 'approximate', while the others for later years are exact. Or is it an error, and they meant 'approximately 253, 345 and 329 submissions in 2021, 2022 and 2023 respectively'?

Edited by AJD

On 2/6/2024 at 10:38 PM, WolverineX said:
On 2/6/2024 at 10:37 PM, comicjel said:

I don't think everything is quite as in question as that ebay sale is.

It smells like somebody got rid of it RIGHT NOW.

It's exactly the kind of situation to absolutely be on the look out for before you would buy something, and something everybody should make note of in new listings.

A book graded 13 years ago, in a brand new holder, that may easily  now NOT be a 9.8

Plus, no bidding now that I can view, to see if somebody actually popped the bin,

A very easy way to launder responsibility, or custody.

On 2/6/2024 at 9:19 PM, comicwiz said:

As I'm slowly going through the mined data for the eBay accounts alleged to be connected to the employees lawsuit, I notice something.

We now have a note that states the following:

If the information displayed above is incorrect or does not match the collectible you are verifying, or if you believe that you have a counterfeit or tampered CGC holder, please contact Submissions@CGCcomics.com. To learn more about counterfeit or tampered CGC holders, click here.

This notation appears below the photos of the book under CGC Cert #: 4355451009

:facepalm: