• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,030 posts in this topic

On 2/9/2024 at 6:26 PM, comicguy123 said:

Looks like the Fantastic Four book cgc7.5 was on ebay sold  on Feb 6,2020. Has that book you see there, in the holder. Same book.

I bought it in July 2020 locally. If I had to guess, someone bought the impacted book on eBay then it changed hands once or twice because they were worried about price drop (covid).

On 2/10/2024 at 1:42 AM, justafan said:

7. This wasn't isolated to just reholders. Comic swaps and sales bypassing cgc has likely been occuring and will continue to occur with 3rd Gen slabs.  I believe this due to a personal experience.

Ironically, the scammer may have  repurchased one of his early resubs or that of another scammer. 2 years ago I bought an ASM 238 Newsstand 9.8 w in a 3rd Gen slab from a comiclink auction that looked perfect. But when it arrived the bottom right corner post was separated cleanly but there was some cloudiness to the bottom right slab edge. To my dismay, when I tested the corner. I was able to pry the bottom right side of the slab open enough for the inner well to slide out completely. The book itself looked perfect except for a light pressable bend near the top front cover staple. I rechecked the comiclink listing photos and saw the same cloudiness in the photos. I think I reached out to comiclink about it but I was so disgusted by it that I just put it aside figuring I'd need to get it regraded and hope that it was a true 9.8. I forgot about it after buying a replacement in what I now hope is a legit 9.8 canadian newsstand copy with a perfect wrap. Later that year I cracked out the older newsstand copy from the damaged slab, confirmed that it contained the tattooz and submitted it along with a 9.6 direct edition asm 238 copy for a press and grade to sell. To my amazement both came back as cgc 9.8 white copies. Satisfied but prefering my canadian newstand copy, I listed the regraded newstand copy for sale and eventually sold it to Ulysses Zanello last year who then cracked it out and did the reholder swap with a canadian price variant. If it was a previously swapped 9.6, it became a legit 9.8 after a press.

So comiclink never responded to your concerns about the grade and the obvious way that the inner sleeve could have been slid out?

What was the selling format that you sold it to Zanello?

On 2/10/2024 at 7:39 AM, awakeintheashes said:

I have no idea how or why it took that many times to fix such a simple problem, but I am not surprised this extreme level of incompetence was exploited. 

Seeing evidence that CGC definitely intends for all of the inner sleeves to be opened on reholders (not just previous gen slabs), plus the evidence of them marketing their service as tamper PROOF, I have no belief left that they expect to be successful in these lawsuits.

I think it's all posturing.

On 2/10/2024 at 2:42 AM, justafan said:

15. Lastly, what will cgc do with all those confiscated books once their use as evidence is completed and all compensation is made? Will they be graded and handed over to their insurance company to be auctioned off/liquidated to offset payouts? Shouldn't they be given to an independent 3rd party grading company to conduct the regrades to prevent any conflicts of interest? Will cgc attempt to resell them, destroy them, or donate them?

Maybe all will be given a new custom label??

CGC presents... The Reholder Scam Collection!

Edited by comicjel

On 2/9/2024 at 5:51 PM, comicwiz said:

FF 48 CGC 5.5 - UNLISTED  ⬇️

Reading about unlisted books from CGC's 350 impact list being treated "differently" is both perplexing and disappointing.

I thought it was time to share at least one I found, applying some details on the retrospective and current comparabiles analysis for books impacted by this "holder tampering." The purpose here is to use this unlisted book as an example of how one might arrive at a valuation suitable for redress and/or compensation.

While the serial number from the ComicVerify badge below is a sample, the data is live, and the screenshot takes you right to the sample appraisal and assessment, with notations, working links to diagrams, etc. Full disclosure, ComicVerify is an online appraisal service I began in March of 2022, along with an appraisal service called ToyVerify. It allowed me to streamline reports, and uses proprietary software I developed which helps accelerate the process of calculating comps for a desired valuation method, as well as offering real-time reporting, accessible in a digital format.

Certification: 0212408029 (NOT ON THE LIST)

Fantastic Four (1961) #48 CGC 5.5

Beginning first with the screenshot of the Cert for posterity:

FF-48-verify.thumb.png.520a75f40cadb06256c70401fcadf77f.png

Based on the assessment arrived at, replacement value would be the method of valuation best suited to handle the market fluctuations seen from the time the book was sold in Jan 2019, and the time which the current day, where consumers are being made aware of an alleged incident involving "holder tampering."

Click screenshot below to visit the online appraisal for further details

FF48-CV-screenshot.thumb.png.5c632f4682ef784be38e0c56d1369f43.png

Additional notes for comparison, review, and posterity:

Sales history, this FF 48 appears 3 times for sale, the order that follows is from the first appearance of this cert to the last

1. 202507080375 | ebay | the.boss | 11/28/2018 | $1,100

FF48-Nov2018-listing.thumb.png.520148a1b7ecb96b795cd0634b784041.png

FF48-Nov2018-front.jpg.1bf218e48e15d3b096dce3918daed2a4.jpg

FF48-Nov2018-back.jpg.35be5ddfa3a28c6902233097f054aa1c.jpg

Second appearance (This is when we notice a change of the book inside the holder, still keeping with the same certification number)

2. 283298999496 | ebay | briva3 | 12/18/2018 | $1,025

FF48-Dec2018-listing.thumb.png.29fb1668a3e06d14bce7c0cffc0fd13f.png

FF48-Dec2018-front.jpg.738582883e77e5ba927bb21ad630dccf.jpg

FF48-Dec2018-back.jpg.feacd57a5b1f8d7d2af5d7870c33d982.jpg

Third attempt is less than a month from the last time this appeared, same seller attemping to sell - as such, this sale is redacted as an outlier, despite it appearing as a valid recorded past sale comparable for FF 48 CGC 5.5.

3.  283323890210 sellerID: briva3 Cert: 0212408029 [1/8/2019] - $1,110
FF48-Jan2019-listing.thumb.png.b4f82e9b1513a4f2242e14cb38c435e1.png

FF48-Jan2019-front.jpg.81d31a337b5494c170b0c1bf529846d2.jpg

FF48-Jan2019-back.jpg.9fb2b20ec884f4e4d1be3d4d2e59adc1.jpg

Yikes…how many more?!?

On 2/10/2024 at 2:42 AM, justafan said:

11. I believe the last thing cgc wants is a class action suit against them by those impacted for their failure to catch this in their reholder process. I'd imagine a class action judgement/settlement may be way more costly than having their insurance pay out replacement value for all books affected.  It is probably in their best interest to quickly recover and satisfy as many buyers of impacted slabs as possible. I would also expect they would not mind even paying out the 2 defendents for all remaining impacted books so they can declare they've identified and recovered all books on their list restoring faith in all existing slabs.

12. I would imagine that all those impacted should probably sync up with other impacted buyers and consult a lawyer to see if following cgcs requirements are currently in their best interest given the lack of recourse once they hand in their books.

My guess is that CGC either contains this by identifying, finding, and buying every affected comic or they get a class action against them.

If I was in the shoes of any of the affected customers, I'd be happy to walk away if CGC's offered compensation was appropriate. Meaning, I don't feel like I've lost anything. That includes, btw, any value that comic might have accrued since the time of purchase, providing it was the right comic. It also includes whatever money I spent, regardless how much value the comic lost in the meantime. This is why I think the fairest thing they could do is literally replace the comic with another that is untainted with the same grade.

Anything less than this, and I'll be looking elsewhere for satisfaction. CGC's failure to follow their own rules may have impacted the value of all comics in their holders, as customers wonder if the contents match the label. For all we know, there is an IH 181 out there that is just a cover attached to a bronze age Archie. It may be unlikely, but it is a fair concern. Speaking for myself, I'm now wondering about my bronze Marvels, hoping they all have their Marvel Value Stamps. I assume they do, but I'm no longer as confident as I was.

Speaking of "number of charges" I wonder if a lawyer can answer this question:
Which would receive the heavier sentence:

1. A thief steals a single comic worth $1,000,000
  2. A thief steals 20 comics worth $50,000 each, in 20 separate robberies.

It seems to me that the second option would draw a much heavier penalty than the first, because each robbery carries its own set of risks to the victim, and that is more important than the values involved. Am I right?

On 2/10/2024 at 11:44 AM, paqart said:

2,000 than 350

This point raises something I feel is also critical to point out.

That 2000 flat count could very well represent what we see being mentioned in the filing, as the submissions from the CBS account.

If I had this data, the very first thing I would have done is make all the connective ties between the submissions and sales. I'm concerned they did not only NOT do this, but from the filing, they make some statements which lead me to believe there were gaps in their research on the accounts used by the alleged perp. This largely had to do with the shuttering activities of the alleged perps of this scandal that created difficulty in mining the data that could be used as evidence against them.

From the details of their lawsuit filing, and this unlisted example I shared, I believe the sales history exposes one of the gaps in their assessment of the scale of this holder tampering incident, both in terms of count and how far back in time, and perhaps also helps explain why the "impacted list" is deficient.

Edited by comicwiz

On 2/10/2024 at 8:25 AM, sledgehammer said:

So comiclink never responded to your concerns about the grade and the obvious way that the inner sleeve could have been slid out?

What was the selling format that you sold it to Zanello?

Something happened to my earlier reply so here's the condensed version. It was a while back but I think they did offer to have it sent in for a reholder but I'd gotten so busy with other personal things that were a higher priIority and was so dissappointed with it I just kind of ignored it. Looking back I should have addressed it with them but I don't hold anything against them. I'm sure they would have done the right thing.

We negotiated the sale on instagram.

On 2/10/2024 at 11:59 AM, comicwiz said:

This point raises something I feel is also critical to point out.

That 2000 flat count could very well represent what we see being mentioned in the filing, as the submissions from the CBS account.

If I had this data, the very first thing I would have done is make all the connective ties between the submissions and sales. I'm concerned they did not only NOT do this, but from the filing, they make some statements which lead me to believe there were gaps in their research on the accounts used by the alleged perp. This largely had to do with the shuttering activities of the alleged perps of this scandal that created difficulty in mining the data that could be used as evidence against them.

From the details of their lawsuit filing, and this unlisted example I shared, I believe the zaneglor sales history exposes one of the gaps in their assessment of the scale of this holder tampering incident, both in terms of count and how far back in time, and perhaps also helps explain why the "impacted list" is deficient.

Yes. And speaking of which, it makes sense to me that Zannello could have, or did, work with more than one LCS to submit. This operation of his was in some ways better than printing money, because they output was closer to genuine than a counterfeit hundred dollar bill. His resources would have been llimited only by the number of transactions he could process, meaning the vendors he could submit to. 
Once this operation starts, he's getting guaranteed profits every month, and it was happening for several years that we know about.

On 2/10/2024 at 8:39 AM, awakeintheashes said:

Same thing happened to me, except I sent the same book back to have the same problem fixed 3-4 times and it wasn’t fixed until the final time. All it took was adding the correct notation for the book. The variant and artist noted was incorrect, and like you I noted all over what change needed to be made.    

I have no idea how or why it took that many times to fix such a simple problem, but I am not surprised this extreme level of incompetence was exploited. 

I swear it feels like they just unpacked it, took a quick look over the case looking for damages but finding none they figured ot was a mistake and put it right back into the same shipping box and shipped it back ignoring the order form. 

My first attempt they let me ship it fedex overnight for free! They paid over $300 in shipping for both attempts. I can only imagine how much in shipping they covered for all 4 of your attempts! Bleeding money.