• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,029 posts in this topic

On 2/16/2024 at 2:52 PM, HighGrade said:

OK, But it is the same copy, it's not a problem, 100% both are the same Windy City Marvel #1, no shenanigans. It was pressed and cleaned at lest twice went from a 8.5 to 9.0 to 9.4, the last cleaning and pressing was amazing, they pressed a crease out on the back that really jumped the grade up. I posted that a while ago and then @MasterChief posted a beautiful timeline showing everything from start to finish a few pages ago.

This just continues to illustrates my point that CGC needs to put more notes on the holder and in the cert lookup, plus keep original images and reholder images. These changes are simple and make a huge difference, otherwise questions will continue to pop up and cause a lack of confidence in books being legit. These side by side images with new cert# and pedigree will haunt CGC because 99% of the people do not know, a simple note on the holder and all this never happens.

Unfortunately due to scammers now everyone needs to see a book they are selling or buying is legit... need to be able to go back and see each time CGC slabbed it, so the buyer/seller knows it's the book they are buying/selling, and any notes describing it, of course the bigger the book the more cost, more notes etc.. some of these notes should be right on the label too, like here showcasing the year the Windy City pedigree was recognized.

We'll get there, all this is good.

So, damn...it's almost as if this book has been restored to NM condition.

:whistle:

On 2/16/2024 at 5:33 PM, lostboys said:

So, damn...it's almost as if this book has been restored to NM condition.

:whistle:

Sometimes when I buy a book that has pressable defects, or has some dirt on back cover that I know could be easily cleaned, I almost feel it is already in the grade it would be after said clean and press - those types of flaws kind of become invisible to me.  It's enough that they could be removed.   

Edited by comicjel

On 2/16/2024 at 1:26 PM, Nick Furious said:

Curious if anyone knows what ever became of the Mark Jeweler book that started this whole thread?  

4277700004 Amazing Spider-Man #252 9.8 Mark Jewelers is still out there. It has not been sent back to CGC and is therefore still on the census.

I can't imagine the buyer doesn't know. Maybe they're waiting for the storm to blow over so they can resell. Or let it live in infamy as "the book that started it all" or something. Or maybe pursuing charges of their own and don't want to surrender the evidence to CGC. (shrug)

Edited by brute_nm

On 2/16/2024 at 2:29 AM, lou_fine said:

You DO realize what you are asking is for both CGC and sellers to FULLY DISCLOSE that a book they are trying to sell for maximum dollars has been worked on in order to artificially manipulate it from a lower graded copy into a higher graded copy.  :screwy:

Sure, it's "legit" from CGC's point if view, but have you ever seen any auction listing with a description that says the book bring auctioned used to be a former lower graded copy.  There's a clear reason for why this is NEVER EVER disclosed and it's all to do with money.  doh!

:golfclap:

On 2/16/2024 at 6:14 PM, comicjel said:

Wouldn't it be ironic if the EBAY sale was a shill sale to pump up the price before actually trying to sell it later??

I enjoy that thought.  

On the other hand, there's a side of me that has no concern whatsoever for anyone who actually bought that book for that price.

Edited by Nick Furious

On 2/16/2024 at 6:38 PM, comicjel said:

Sometimes when I buy a book that has pressable defects, or has some dirt on back cover that I know could be easily cleaned, I almost feel it is already in the grade it would be after said clean and press - those types of flaws kind of become invisible to me.  It's kind of good enough that they could be removed.   

I agree, I have a LOT of books like that, I purposely look for books that are either under graded or have defects that can be cleaned/pressed away. They are fine the way they are to me, or maybe I'm just too lazy to do the work.

So yeah I love and hate what that Marvel Comics #1 went to, part of me says it's not original, looks artificial and pushed too far, but part of me says WOW! looks amazing....so I learned to accept it. Kinda like women, I still prefer natural, not all made up, original. But all made up pressed and cleaned into a shiny new outfit, and WOW looks amazing!  You just learn to accept it, pressing and cleaning is fine, but you can push too far and it loses that authentic look.

On 2/16/2024 at 11:51 PM, brute_nm said:

In the absence of any info from CGC, I decided to put together my own summary of where we're at.

CGC has asked customers to send books back for verification.  So have all 350 been checked?  Let's see.  From my count, only 76 out of the 350 (22%) have been checked; 274 (78%) have NOT been checked.  Of those checked:

• 63 had their grades REMOVED, which I assume means they were deemed fraudulent
  • 13 maintained their grade, which I assume means they were VERIFIED as legit

checked.png.69d4c2743a7a78fd6dc77c4160cb63fd.png

Here is a table of the books that had their grades REMOVED:

removed.thumb.png.715a6db716db73bf7c8c310ba5a895a4.png

Here is a table of the books that were VERIFIED and maintained their grade:

verifiedtable.thumb.png.8e29bcbf55660b036846e79b48c83381.png

A couple oddities... the following cert numbers have a strike-thru on the Hot 350, but they do not have a new grade date, nor have their grades been removed.

image.thumb.png.c0fd9c84f917ba07a408354b1f3cf5aa.png

@CGC Mike, are these 4 books legit or not?  If not, why do they have a strike-thru and why is their grade still present?  Why don't they have new grade "verification" dates?

Now, let's go further.  Starting with the initial Hot 350 list, I used the cert numbers to "fill holes."  When there were multiple cert numbers from the same larger submission, I added all the rest of the books from that submission.  In my opinion, any book submitted by this account should be flagged as potentially fradulent, regardless of if it was sent for reholder or not.  Filling holes gets us 216 additional books + the original 350 = 566 total.

Here is a breakdown of these 216 additional books... 22 more ASM 194's, 16 more ASM 238's, 12 more ASM 252's, 36 more ASM 300's.

holesfilled.thumb.png.74ab30424bedb41e620fc740e434338f.png

@CGC Mike, please increase the list to include ALL books submitted by Zanello/CBS account, even non-reholders.  At MINIMUM, the list should be 566 (as shown above), but more likely should be ~2000 (as stated in the legal filing).  @comicwiz has proof of fraudulent books that are NOT on the 350 list, and the legal filing states that Zanello sometimes skipped the reholder process all together.  We MUST verify every book this guy touched.

Thank you for putting this together.

Let's say you have a Spider-man # 300 that was on the list at 9.8....you send it in....

CGC cracks it and and sees its a 9.2 0r 9.4.....CGC does their own clean and press and bumps it to a 9.6/9.8 ...doesn't matter...

They label it a 9.8....leave same same cert. number, re-seal, .... and mail back and say not affected....

On 2/16/2024 at 11:51 PM, brute_nm said:

In the absence of any info from CGC, I decided to put together my own summary of where we're at.

CGC has asked customers to send books back for verification.  So have all 350 been checked?  Let's see.  From my count, only 76 out of the 350 (22%) have been checked; 274 (78%) have NOT been checked.  Of those checked:

• 63 had their grades REMOVED, which I assume means they were deemed fraudulent
  • 13 maintained their grade, which I assume means they were VERIFIED as legit

checked.png.69d4c2743a7a78fd6dc77c4160cb63fd.png

Here is a table of the books that had their grades REMOVED:

removed.thumb.png.715a6db716db73bf7c8c310ba5a895a4.png

Here is a table of the books that were VERIFIED and maintained their grade:

verifiedtable.thumb.png.8e29bcbf55660b036846e79b48c83381.png

A couple oddities... the following cert numbers have a strike-thru on the Hot 350, but they do not have a new grade date, nor have their grades been removed.

image.thumb.png.c0fd9c84f917ba07a408354b1f3cf5aa.png

@CGC Mike, are these 4 books legit or not?  If not, why do they have a strike-thru and why is their grade still present?  Why don't they have new grade "verification" dates?

Now, let's go further.  Starting with the initial Hot 350 list, I used the cert numbers to "fill holes."  When there were multiple cert numbers from the same larger submission, I added all the rest of the books from that submission.  In my opinion, any book submitted by this account should be flagged as potentially fradulent, regardless of if it was sent for reholder or not.  Filling holes gets us 216 additional books + the original 350 = 566 total.

Here is a breakdown of these 216 additional books... 22 more ASM 194's, 16 more ASM 238's, 12 more ASM 252's, 36 more ASM 300's.

holesfilled.thumb.png.74ab30424bedb41e620fc740e434338f.png

@CGC Mike, please increase the list to include ALL books submitted by Zanello/CBS account, even non-reholders.  At MINIMUM, the list should be 566 (as shown above), but more likely should be ~2000 (as stated in the legal filing).  @comicwiz has proof of fraudulent books that are NOT on the 350 list, and the legal filing states that Zanello sometimes skipped the reholder process all together.  We MUST verify every book this guy touched.

Major props for pulling this together!! 👍

When I see three! JIM #83s... one in 8.0, one in 7.0, one in 6.5... knowing how this scammer operated... just makes me wonder what these guys accomplished that is not on our radar!!