• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Daredevil #43
1 1

23 posts in this topic

Pretty nice looking copy… until I got to the inside. I was never made aware of the detached centerfold, so wondering how this will ultimately affect grade as intital plan was to submit this one to CGC for PC purposes.

thanks to all in advance! 

IMG_9293.jpeg

IMG_9294.jpeg

IMG_9295.jpeg

IMG_9296.jpeg

IMG_9297.jpeg

IMG_9298.jpeg

IMG_9299.jpeg

IMG_9300.jpeg

IMG_9301.jpeg

IMG_9302.jpeg

IMG_9303.jpeg

IMG_9304.jpeg

IMG_9305.jpeg

IMG_9306.jpeg

IMG_9307.jpeg

Tanning, edge wear & color breaking creases along the top edge, color breaking stress lines on the spine, slight cover tearing at the staples. Maybe a small light stain on the TRBC, but it's hard to tell in a photo

On 12/20/2023 at 9:41 PM, scburdet said:

Detached wrap is 4.0-7.5. This is well within that range. 

My apologies. This is what I meant by going more in depth on. So if it was less than a 4.0 copy (without considering the detached wrap) then it would grade a 4.0?

By the cgc guide, the upper limit for a range means an otherwise perfect book with only that defect would grade there. The lower limit means if there were other defects (e.g. staining or missing pieces) warrant a lower grade, the defect would not cause a further deduction. Where a book falls in the range with the combo of defects in the same range is the tricky part.

On 12/20/2023 at 11:50 PM, scburdet said:

By the cgc guide, the upper limit for a range means an otherwise perfect book with only that defect would grade there. The lower limit means if there were other defects (e.g. staining or missing pieces) warrant a lower grade, the defect would not cause a further deduction. Where a book falls in the range with the combo of defects in the same range is the tricky part.

Thanks for clarification. That makes a lot more sense to me now. I also heard you have to be careful sending books to a presser to reattach your staples, because CGC can catch that and green label you 

IDK about reattachment. If a wrap is detached, the paper is usually torn, so there's not a good was to reattach without finding somewhere else to attach the wrap. I'd call that restoration (purple) & it would misalign the centerfold with the rest of the wraps. I don't think people do this. Replacing a wrap with an undamaged one from another book is called marrying, and that would be qualified (green). If one tried to replace the wrap, I'd bet the staples would end up breaking & need to be replaced. Replacing staples is conservation (grey). None of these options make any sense with this book. The wrap isn't the most impactful defect IMO & restoration or qualification of this type only makes sense if the book is really high value. FMV for a Universal copy in this grade is under $100. I mean maybe if it was a 9.6/9.8 candidate with a detached centerfold, but even then I'm not sure this book commands a high enough value/interest with a green or grey label. A good book to enjoy ungraded as it looks pretty nice.

On 12/21/2023 at 1:32 AM, scburdet said:

IDK about reattachment. If a wrap is detached, the paper is usually torn, so there's not a good was to reattach without finding somewhere else to attach the wrap. I'd call that restoration (purple) & it would misalign the centerfold with the rest of the wraps. I don't think people do this. Replacing a wrap with an undamaged one from another book is called marrying, and that would be qualified (green). If one tried to replace the wrap, I'd bet the staples would end up breaking & need to be replaced. Replacing staples is conservation (grey). None of these options make any sense with this book. The wrap isn't the most impactful defect IMO & restoration or qualification of this type only makes sense if the book is really high value. FMV for a Universal copy in this grade is under $100. I mean maybe if it was a 9.6/9.8 candidate with a detached centerfold, but even then I'm not sure this book commands a high enough value/interest with a green or grey label. A good book to enjoy ungraded as it looks pretty nice.

Thanks for going further in depth with all of that, your help has been greatly appreciated!

On 12/21/2023 at 12:22 PM, Ahsoka Tano Jedi Apprentice said:

Scburdet.......he is da man....Very informational just reading his remarks.     

His vast knowledge has helped me tremendously during the time I’ve been using the forum 

On 12/21/2023 at 2:53 PM, scburdet said:

Mostly just parroting what I read here: https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/10586/cgc-guide-grading-comics-nelson/

Useful, although much is left ambiguous or open to interpretation. 

I’ll take a look. There’s so much information to take in at a short amount of time.

Unless this is a book you've owned for a long time and want to slab for sentimental reasons, you may be better served by putting your funds towards a higher graded or already slabbed copy. Unless you have something rare or valuable, slabbing low to mid-grade '60s or '70s run-filler books often isn't very economical. Although DD #43 has a semi-classic Kirby cover and is higher demand than surrounding issues, Daredevil in general doesn't have many sought-after issues. The 12 month average sale priced for a CGC 6.0 is $73, 90 day average $67 and most recent sale $40. For a CGC 4.5 you're looking at 12 month avg, $50, 90 day avg. $35 and most recent sale $35. I don't know what you have in the book, but with grading and shipping costs it's not a route I would take.

On 12/22/2023 at 1:09 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

4.5 to 5.0 in my eyes, with the detached c/f making me lean more 4.5

What's going on in that top left corner, back cover? Looks like white out fluid or is it just a bent corner catching the light in a particular way? 

Thanks for your input. The corner is exactly as you perceived it. I believe it’s either a stain or heavy discoloration. I was too focused on the detached centerfold to really examine it but don’t believe it’s a foreign substance like white out.