• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can anyone provide the Clift notes on the CGC case tampering incident?
4 4

58 posts in this topic

On 12/30/2023 at 12:41 PM, batman_fan said:

I must have missed this one.

Someone was swapping lower grade books into higher grade slabs, reholdering them, along with submitting the higher grade books for grading. Double profiting. 

someone caught on when they did the mark jeweler 9.8s, found out it is fraud by spotting the lower grade books in the 9.8 holders, then a video and post was made on the boards about it.

CGC found out and posted a statement afterwards.

something like that in a nut shell.

On 12/30/2023 at 5:18 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Someone was swapping lower grade books into higher grade slabs, reholdering them, along with submitting the higher grade books for grading. Double profiting. 

someone caught on when they did the mark jeweler 9.8s, found out it is fraud by spotting the lower grade books in the 9.8 holders, then a video and post was made on the boards about it.

CGC found out and posted a statement afterwards.

something like that in a nut shell.

So far board detectives have discovered in addition to those it appears that several Hulk 181s of various defects missing MVS missing pages etc [Green Label ] books were swapped into [Blue Label ] higher grade slabs and also reholdered. Leaving those original blue label books to be resubmitted.

So far it is undetermined the scope of how many books . 

On 12/30/2023 at 3:42 PM, Gambold Vintage said:

There is a lot of screaming and breast-beating going on about this all over YouTube and various forums.  Obviously this is an issue for super-high grade comics that are traded like commodities on the market.  The impact on collectors and dealers who invest in such cannot be denied.  It should be noted, however, that the vast majority of collectors who own slabbed comics will be unaffected...because they own slabs that are not super high grades of "commodity comics" like IH181. 

So before you go running to your CGC box and start scanning for tampering, ask yourself if anyone would bother swapping out your sub 9.4 grade GA or SA or BA issues. The short answer is no, they wouldn't. The payback simply isn't there. This is limited to the ability to scam, for example, a 9.8 grade off a 9.2 comic that already has a very high market value. To engage in this practice you've got to have a lot of $$ upfront, the ability to tamper with CGC holders successfully, and the willingness to risk getting nailed by CGC and likely the Feds for wire fraud (for which the penalties are very unpleasant).

I won't call it a mountain out of molehill, because I know some collectors and dealers are going to be hurt by this. I sincerely hope they will be able to get satisfaction from CGC. I will also point out that they comprise a very small percentage of CGC-slabbed comic owners. The rest of us should be sympathetic, but not worry about it. 

Happy Collecting, Gambold

How dare you post some something that actually is critical in thinking & reason and actually makes sense. :shy:

Around here you post hyperbolic memes that the hobby is over or you post nothing at all.

I said good day sir!

On 12/30/2023 at 3:53 PM, Tnexus said:

I would say the biggest takeaway from all of it is the discovery of how easy it is to swap a comic in a slab. I see this really being a big issue on modern swaps of 9.6 to 9.8 comics in the future.

Can you show me?  So far no one has but apparently its easy and impossible to tell.

On 12/30/2023 at 7:04 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

No no no.

They don't need a Brand New slab (slight enhancement sure), they more so just need a CGC employee to check and open the book at Reholdering/ME to actually make sure it is the same book.  You know make sure the book actually has a MVS or Mark Jewelers Insert in there.

You can fix this issue in 5 minutes with just a pair of working eyes and someone who can follow basic protocols.

I think your right :idea: 

The problem with that thought is proving to the public "that particular safety feature" is now in place, when it is one that should have always been there.

I've heard rumor that for "belief" a lot of people need something they can hold or see with their own eyes, in this case trust will have to be earned back.

You're not wrong and maybe the monetary promise in the "guarantee" will smooth it over somewhat, but having also heard of youtubers, I just don't know if that will suffice.