• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books about/history of Pedigree collections

6 posts in this topic

I have searched the boards, I have googled this thoroughly.  Is anyone aware of a book that discusses the history of the various pedigree collections? It seems the closest thing out there that I can find are the entries on Chucks mile high site, which are a fine read, but it’s limited and more just him patting himself on the back.

Anyone have any ideas out there?

Edited by bluehorseshoe

On 12/31/2023 at 5:28 PM, bluehorseshoe said:

I have searched the boards, I have googled this thoroughly.  Is anyone aware of a book that discusses the history of the various pedigree collections? It seems the closest thing out there that I can find are the entries on Chucks mile high site, which are a fine read, but it’s limited and more just him patting himself on the back.

Anyone have any ideas out there?

Seen this?

http://www.comicpedigrees.com/index.php

On 12/31/2023 at 12:35 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Thank you for your response, and I have, and that actually got me thinking about the stories that were behind the squib descriptions on that site. I realize that the stories behind the pedigrees may not be an accessible -let alone a writable- topic, as these stories might have died with the folks that knew them. 

There isn't really a definitive history of each pedigree, just short generic sales blurbs. The Church books have probably the most information available, but even book lists of what is in the pedigree are not shared to the general public.

CGC over the last 20 years have become the de-facto curator of pedigree's and they have been very poor stewards of that responsibility.

On 12/31/2023 at 6:15 PM, bluehorseshoe said:

Thank you for your response, and I have, and that actually got me thinking about the stories that were behind the squib descriptions on that site. I realize that the stories behind the pedigrees may not be an accessible -let alone a writable- topic, as these stories might have died with the folks that knew them. 

If any members here recall those stories they probably reside in the Gold forum - you could try reposting there. A lot of them wouldn't be seen dead in Comics General :preach: