• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Auctions Apr 4-7 2024
5 5

361 posts in this topic

On 3/14/2024 at 11:58 PM, Xatari said:

For first appearance collectors, there is so much in this one!

I was scrolling through this auction a few days ago, if you're a BA/Copper OA collector it's absolutely packed.  

On 3/16/2024 at 11:33 PM, buttock said:
On 3/15/2024 at 1:58 PM, Xatari said:

For first appearance collectors, there is so much in this one!

I was scrolling through this auction a few days ago, if you're a BA/Copper OA collector it's absolutely packed. 

If you're a Sandman OA collector, it's packed (again).

On 3/16/2024 at 9:35 AM, tth2 said:

I do wonder if the abundance of Sandman art over the past few years will artificially suppress prices to some extent. Very possible we could see a drought down the road followed by an uptick. Full disclosure: I do not own Sandman art or have plans on purchasing. I am just trying to be a student of the hobby and am highly interested in trend analysis. 

On 3/16/2024 at 1:26 PM, buttock said:

There's a doctoral dissertation pending on the Sandman:Garfield ratio as a metric for the economy. 

GDP = Dreams divided Lasagna. 

On 3/16/2024 at 9:11 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Already have a few strong bids out of the gate:

byrne Xmen page $60K

Frenz ASM 252 page 67.5K

Heck ToS 39 page 77.5K

BWS MCP page 35K

Giffen Omega Men 1 cvr 15.5K

Think these numbers above are all before the juice, which makes a lot of these early bids very strong! 😳

Edited by 1classics

Maybe I'm in the minority. But I try not to check auction bids till the week of the auction. I don't want to let the crazy bids discourage me from following certain pages. And I have quite a bit tracked in Aprils HA. I feel like a lot of pages will go high in this one. 

On 3/16/2024 at 4:25 PM, AlexG_art said:

Maybe I'm in the minority. But I try not to check auction bids till the week of the auction. I don't want to let the crazy bids discourage me from following certain pages. And I have quite a bit tracked in Aprils HA. I feel like a lot of pages will go high in this one. 

I wouldn’t count on it. Too much on the table leaves a lot of leftovers. 

On 3/17/2024 at 12:43 AM, Xatari said:
On 3/17/2024 at 12:35 AM, tth2 said:

I do wonder if the abundance of Sandman art over the past few years will artificially suppress prices to some extent.

At the moment, it's sure not looking like it!  Prices are already strong despite it being still early in internet bidding, and seemed to have taken a jump following the Gaiman auction.

Edited by tth2

On 3/17/2024 at 3:11 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Already have a few strong bids out of the gate:

byrne Xmen page $60K

Frenz ASM 252 page 67.5K

Heck ToS 39 page 77.5K

BWS MCP page 35K

Giffen Omega Men 1 cvr 15.5K

The price defense force is strong.

On 3/17/2024 at 1:28 AM, tth2 said:

The price defense force is strong.

The few things I’ve been watching are not moving so quickly. One, an Aparo Cover, sold for the nutty price of $22,800 with BP about 1.5 years ago. I couldn’t believe it went that high when it was posted, but who knows, maybe the seller will get lucky. After all, some people really did sleep with Marilyn Monroe.

On 3/16/2024 at 5:43 PM, Xatari said:

I do wonder if the abundance of Sandman art over the past few years will artificially suppress prices to some extent. Very possible we could see a drought down the road followed by an uptick. Full disclosure: I do not own Sandman art or have plans on purchasing. I am just trying to be a student of the hobby and am highly interested in trend analysis. 

I think it's typical that when demand > supply, prices increase (which I think has been the case for Sandman art in the recent past). This market 'price signal' is usually followed by an increased supply (assuming an increased supply exists or can be produced, and we know there is always increased supply of OA, tucked away in collections, though for many artists/characters/books this is fairly limited). If the increased supply gluts the market (supply >> demand), prices will decrease. If increased supply roughly meets the increased demand, then price increases will be suppressed, but prices won't necessarily decrease (i.e., the 'market is cleared'). Down the road, if new buyers create increased demand, so that demand again is greater than supply, prices will tick upwards again. You can define all this as 'artificial' but I think it's more a basic free market mechanisms. 

On 3/16/2024 at 11:43 AM, Xatari said:

I don't think so.  The offerings seem to be heavily from the first story arcs and artists, with a couple of pieces here and there from later stories.  Depending on what story appealed to you, there is probably still a lot of potential interest.  

On 3/17/2024 at 5:21 AM, Rick2you2 said:

The few things I’ve been watching are not moving so quickly. One, an Aparo Cover, sold for the nutty price of $22,800 with BP about 1.5 years ago. I couldn’t believe it went that high when it was posted, but who knows, maybe the seller will get lucky. After all, some people really did sleep with Marilyn Monroe.

If you're talking about the Aparo Phantom Stranger #33 cover, then the seller will not get lucky. The seller is dead.

On 3/17/2024 at 8:13 AM, lobrac said:

If you're talking about the Aparo Phantom Stranger #33 cover, then the seller will not get lucky. The seller is dead.

Plus you’re once again removing the “fresh” factor if it was sold in the last year and a half. 🤣

On 3/17/2024 at 2:13 PM, lobrac said:

Who was it?A boardie or dealer? Someone we might know?