• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Auctions Apr 4-7 2024
5 5

361 posts in this topic

On 2/23/2024 at 10:33 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Looks like we're in for a treat with this upcoming auction...so many pieces from diverse genres, artists, and budgets.  Now at nearly 900 OA lots, including this recently added beauty!

lf?set=path%5B2%2F9%2F7%2F9%2F7%2F29797204%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

A “Shluk” Wolverine page by BWS :whatthe:

On 2/23/2024 at 9:33 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Looks like we're in for a treat with this upcoming auction...so many pieces from diverse genres, artists, and budgets.  Now at nearly 900 OA lots, including this recently added beauty!

lf?set=path%5B2%2F9%2F7%2F9%2F7%2F29797204%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

A great example of why BWS is one of the finest comic book artists to ever put pen to paper.

On 2/24/2024 at 4:58 AM, delekkerste said:

Yeah, I guess they're moving these to focused sales with the lower-rent stuff placed in the weeklies. 

But the real question is whether they decided to remove them from the Signature auctions because they thought they would do better separately or whether there were just too many NoGarfielders and NeverGarfielders complaining about all the Garfields in the big sales. :fear: 

Don't forget the GarfieldBirthers. 

For Garfield fans, do you make a distinction between the strips Davis fully drew and those completed by his team? Also, aside from the very early strips before Garfield took on his more permanent "look," how do you know which strips were 100% Jim? Is there a specific cut-off year when he started the team strips? Asking b/c I collect Pogo, but don't collect Pogo post-1969 b/c Kelly wasn't fully drawing the strips due to illness... just wondering if Davis fans feel the same way.

IIRC up to 1980 its all jim.    Anytime in 1981 or later you're starting to look at the team model.    I like the look of the team strips actually but I also think the writing was best early on.

On 2/25/2024 at 9:05 AM, Bronty said:

IIRC up to 1980 its all jim.    Anytime in 1981 or later you're starting to look at the team model.    I like the look of the team strips actually but I also think the writing was best early on.

40+ years of ghost strips... wow

On 2/25/2024 at 2:29 PM, brainbats said:

That's Bob Kane territory.

I don't think that's a fair comparison.   Jim put in some years and developed the characters and to my understanding got busy handling all the licensing and admin.    He also continued to write the strip for... I don't know how many years but when he stopped drawing he was still writing the gags, drawing the preliminary panels, and just passing off the finished art.   Still very involved.

Edited by Bronty

On 2/25/2024 at 12:47 PM, Bronty said:

I don't think that's a fair comparison.   Jim put in some years and developed the characters and to my understanding got busy handling all the licensing and admin.    He also continued to write the strip for... I don't know how many years but when he stopped drawing he was still writing the gags, drawing the preliminary panels, and just passing off the finished art.   Still very involved.

True.  I don't think Kane did more than farm out the work and cash the checks.

On 2/26/2024 at 3:47 AM, Bronty said:

He also continued to write recycle the strip for... I don't know how many years but when he stopped drawing he was still writing recycling the gags, drawing the preliminary panels, and just passing off the finished art. 

FTFY 

On 2/26/2024 at 12:43 AM, tth2 said:

FTFY 

Ehhh.   You could say the same thing about any strip that’s been running 40 years.    As we’ve discussed, refer to exhibits Patty and Marcie.