• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2024 New Orleans Fan Expo -- A Report And Review
2 2

41 posts in this topic

Looks like what Motor City Con has become. Fewer comic dealers since COVID and that was actually declining for a few years before. I traveled to Baltimore this past year and it was far better in regards to Comic Dealers. Plus I usually go to C2E2 to catch Bob Storms and Dale Roberts. (I guess I could just order online but not as fun as in person) 

Thanks for the report on New Orleans! I went to a couple Wizards (in Chicago) back in the day but didn't like the cost and path they were on. 

That's been the same entry process for me, for several years. Getting there early to do the rigamarole does help you be ready for when doors open. Usually the amount of dealers is offset by the sheer number of books those few dealers have, in some cases. I've always only taken pics of the comic dealers first, which only fills up two boards pages worth of posts, then it's everyone else, so results may vary.

Yes in person is the best, I feel you on wiggle room. There just doesn't ever seem to be a lot imo.

Idk if it is what I'm looking for or if it is hard for dealers to find? But even bronze and copper books are hard to pony up. I usually can get a little less than 10% off on a $150 comic. Maybe $10 off, which I DO pony up for, but when I'm settling for what's available in grade of specifics I'm looking for?

I figured that is more my problem than the dealers. Lol

Of what I can afford to begin with haha it is a struggle to find a "deal" at a con, and especially on those steady sellers. If I don't pony up, someone else will. That kind of thing.

Cons seem to be more about the experience and it's new every time you go, so don't feel outdated.

"About the experience" also means it takes experience to not just be over zealous. 

There @ChiSoxFan is a wall of text in response, I'm glad you made out, but yay for effort at the least and maybe there'll be more up your alley in the future. Yes in person and attending with others is fun, and celebrities make for fun too, as long as there is comics, comics, comics. The dealers you show, show common sellers, which you may be in the boat I am and already own it

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Great report!…

Kind of off topic, does anyone know if Harley has a personal collection or does every comic that comes through his hands have a price?

Great report. For what it is worth, I'm getting tired of the people around here not grading their books either. 

I've got a new policy - if you don't have a grade on your books, I'm not looking any further in your thread. 2c

Sorry for my short reply.  I loved doing New Orleans but it was always to travel,  enjoy the local cuisine and hopefully make some money.   

Unfortunately,  I don't make money at the show,  therefore I don't do it.  

If I want to give away $3500 for free I can do that behind my computer and not drive to Louisiana which is what I'm in the hole at minimum to do a show.  
It is nice to see that Fan expo finally is asking their attendees why they are there.  

I would love to see a breakdown of responses to see what percentage of the show is there to buy comics.  

On 1/8/2024 at 9:30 AM, lizards2 said:

Great report. For what it is worth, I'm getting tired of the people around here not grading their books either. 

I've got a new policy - if you don't have a grade on your books, I'm not looking any further in your thread. 2c

Thanks.  I tend to ignore threads that don't have books graded as well, so I hear you on that.  I might not agree with someone's grade (and I'm sure I've listed things over all of my time here that someone looked at my thread and disagreed with my grade on it as well), but putting the grade on a book for sale at least gives you something to start with as a reference, whether that's on price or on a discussion as to whether that grade might be accurate.  

On 1/8/2024 at 12:41 AM, ChiSoxFan said:

What I immediately noticed was that there's a good reason why you don't see the word "Comic" in the show name -- and that's because it really isn't a comic book show, or at least not one in the way I like them to be, or in the way I remember them to be (including this one, when it was under the Wizard banner). 

Nice report :)

I've done a few myself for the big conventions in the UK and it's surprising to see how similar they are to those in the US which I would have expected to have more comics. I can see how certain people would find them fun, but as an actual comic collector, I long since gave up on them. 

On 1/8/2024 at 9:47 AM, blazingbob said:

Sorry for my short reply.  I loved doing New Orleans but it was always to travel,  enjoy the local cuisine and hopefully make some money.   

Unfortunately,  I don't make money at the show,  therefore I don't do it.  

If I want to give away $3500 for free I can do that behind my computer and not drive to Louisiana which is what I'm in the hole at minimum to do a show.  
It is nice to see that Fan expo finally is asking their attendees why they are there.  

I would love to see a breakdown of responses to see what percentage of the show is there to buy comics.  

I completely understand.  New Orleans has a lot to offer outside of the show, but if you're looking to make money and you're selling higher-end books, it's likely going to be a loss for someone doing so.  I remember you had an amazing selection of books when I saw you at the last show I was at that you were, and I just didn't see buyers like that while I was at the show that would have appreciated what you would have had to offer.  As you pointed out, you can sell off of your website easily and not leave your home and make more money that doing all of the work and putting in the expense that setting up at a show requires.  If you're setting up at Charlotte, and I end up making that trip, maybe I'll see you there. :foryou:

I don't know what good the survey they gave is going to do, but I'm guessing based on who I saw wandering the hall this weekend that the vast majority of people who answered put down something other than "comics",  It's a vicious cycle, unfortunately -- dealers don't do the show because they're not making money due to a lack of actual buyers, and the potential buyers in the area (like myself) don't go to the show because we know there won't be dealers with actual comics worth buying.  I don't know how that changes, unless the show organizers think it's an issue and offer an incentive for more comic dealers to do the show -- which I'm guessing is something that won't happen.

On 1/8/2024 at 10:29 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Nice report :)

I've done a few myself for the big conventions in the UK and it's surprising to see how similar they are to those in the US which I would have expected to have more comics. I can see how certain people would find them fun, but as an actual comic collector, I long since gave up on them. 

Thanks, and that makes sense.  We had fun at the show, and it was neat to see all of the other different things that were available for sale, even if it wasn't anything I would have been interested in buying.  If there had been, let's say, double the number of dealers I saw (which would have been another 8-10, let's say), and they had been well-set up dealers (like the major ones I mentioned, or other dealers similar to them), then I would have said the show was a hit.  But as I said in my write-up, there's a reason why "Comic" isn't in the show's title -- it simply isn't a comic show.  The comics almost seem to be like an afterthought, and that's unfortunate. :sorry:

On 1/8/2024 at 12:07 PM, ChiSoxFan said:

I completely understand.  New Orleans has a lot to offer outside of the show, but if you're looking to make money and you're selling higher-end books, it's likely going to be a loss for someone doing so.  I remember you had an amazing selection of books when I saw you at the last show I was at that you were, and I just didn't see buyers like that while I was at the show that would have appreciated what you would have had to offer.  As you pointed out, you can sell off of your website easily and not leave your home and make more money that doing all of the work and putting in the expense that setting up at a show requires.  If you're setting up at Charlotte, and I end up making that trip, maybe I'll see you there. :foryou:

I don't know what good the survey they gave is going to do, but I'm guessing based on who I saw wandering the hall this weekend that the vast majority of people who answered put down something other than "comics",  It's a vicious cycle, unfortunately -- dealers don't do the show because they're not making money due to a lack of actual buyers, and the potential buyers in the area (like myself) don't go to the show because we know there won't be dealers with actual comics worth buying.  I don't know how that changes, unless the show organizers think it's an issue and offer an incentive for more comic dealers to do the show -- which I'm guessing is something that won't happen.

You are absolutely correct.  Your post and possibly mine will unfortunately "influence" collectors into not going to a show.  I am not badmouthing the show by the way.  I like New Orleans but the economic reality is that it is not profitable.  There is NOTHING emotional about the numbers.  I can't do shows based on HOPE someone shows up to buy what I'm selling.  Multi day events don't treat dealers like celebrities,  they treat dealers as a economic revenue stream to bring in the celebrities.   

On 1/8/2024 at 5:12 PM, ChiSoxFan said:

Thanks, and that makes sense.  We had fun at the show, and it was neat to see all of the other different things that were available for sale, even if it wasn't anything I would have been interested in buying.  If there had been, let's say, double the number of dealers I saw (which would have been another 8-10, let's say), and they had been well-set up dealers (like the major ones I mentioned, or other dealers similar to them), then I would have said the show was a hit.  But as I said in my write-up, there's a reason why "Comic" isn't in the show's title -- it simply isn't a comic show.  The comics almost seem to be like an afterthought, and that's unfortunate. :sorry:

That's spot on. Over here though, they still sneak the word comic in, but it's all really just an excuse for the youngsters to dress up, eat, and not buy things with loosest connection to the things that started it all for the likes of us!