• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I buy ASM 300 newsstand and direct edition?
1 1

17 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,  I am new to the chats so please forgive me if I ask ridiculous things.  I know a little,  but not as much as the people who are on here. 

I have a 9.4 ASM direct edition,  but my OCD is bothering me that I don't have a good copy of the newsstand version. 

Currently it is driving me crazy and I feel like that I need both.

What say you?

Thanks,  William 

On 1/15/2024 at 11:26 AM, Williammarshall3 said:

Hello everyone,  I am new to the chats so please forgive me if I ask ridiculous things.  I know a little,  but not as much as the people who are on here. 

I have a 9.4 ASM direct edition,  but my OCD is bothering me that I don't have a good copy of the newsstand version. 

What say you?

Thanks,  William 

My opinion for a book from 1988 it really does not matter if it's  a newsstand or direct.

Edited by godzilla43

On 1/15/2024 at 4:26 AM, Williammarshall3 said:

What say you?

Thanks,  William 

We all collect in our own ways. What usually happens for me is I use direct editions as placeholders in my personal collection until I can replace them with news stand editions. Once I get a news stand in the grade I want I sell off the direct to offset the costs. But if you prefer to have one of each then more power to you and happy collecting :) 

On 1/15/2024 at 6:23 AM, godzilla43 said:

My opinion for a book from 1988 it really does not matter if it's  a newsstand or direct.

Thanks.  I am really not a very huge collector per say. I collect a lot of memorabilia for growth potential that I think will do well. 

What are your thoughts about if there is currently any difference between the 2 now and in the future?

Thanks William 

On 1/15/2024 at 8:20 AM, Williammarshall3 said:

Thanks.  I am really not a very huge collector per say. I collect a lot of memorabilia for growth potential that I think will do well. 

What are your thoughts about if there is currently any difference between the 2 now and in the future?

Thanks William 

From what I've observed from buying and selling the last couple of years the newsstand vs direct price variance is growing somewhat rapidly. If I had to guess I'd say this will probably continue but of course idk for sure.

On 1/15/2024 at 10:20 AM, seanlinc said:

From what I've observed from buying and selling the last couple of years the newsstand vs direct price variance is growing somewhat rapidly. If I had to guess I'd say this will probably continue but of course idk for sure.

Thank you very much.  I appreciate it 

I think the price difference between direct and newsstands are mostly because of youtubers. When they find a newsstand from 80's or early 90's they always point out that it is a newsstand copy but don't talk anything about the ratio back then. Then when they find a newsstand from 2000's they always mention how rare they were back then compare to direct copies. 

On 1/15/2024 at 11:05 AM, godzilla43 said:

I think the price difference between direct and newsstands are mostly because of youtubers. When they find a newsstand from 80's or early 90's they always point out that it is a newsstand copy but don't talk anything about the ratio back then. Then when they find a newsstand from 2000's they always mention how rare they were back then compare to direct copies. 

Very great information!!! Thank you!!!

It's funny - 30 years ago, no one wanted the newsstands because the UPC was ugly and distracting compared to the direct edition. Goes to show you that people can figure out how to explain away why something is worth more than it's counterpart. The newsstand thing can be a fun chase, but I'm not sure I'd be paying a big premium to have them.

On 1/15/2024 at 11:05 AM, godzilla43 said:

I am sure that is a part of it, but this is far from a complete picture. 

The rarity overall of news stand books is one factor that comes to mind right away when discussing news stand versus direct copies. However, not all news stands are rare. The specific thing about news stands that I chase is that they are often very hard to find in high grade because of how they were treated while on the rack and for sale. If you take a random comic that is about a FN/VF I don't think anyone should be paying any type of premium for a news stand edition. However, if you are talking books that are 9.8 or close to that it is a different story. 

I like and collect news stand editions, and I do think there is value added if you are very specific about what type and grade of news stand copies you collect. 

On 1/15/2024 at 6:21 PM, Stefan_W said:

I am sure that is a part of it, but this is far from a complete picture. 

The rarity overall of news stand books is one factor that comes to mind right away when discussing news stand versus direct copies. However, not all news stands are rare. The specific thing about news stands that I chase is that they are often very hard to find in high grade because of how they were treated while on the rack and for sale. If you take a random comic that is about a FN/VF I don't think anyone should be paying any type of premium for a news stand edition. However, if you are talking books that are 9.8 or close to that it is a different story. 

I like and collect news stand editions, and I do think there is value added if you are very specific about what type and grade of news stand copies you collect. 

It's a tilting windmill that gets gazed at from time to time. I'd argue even 7.0 cgc of newsstands are acceptable, but again depending on year, publication , and status of importance.

And yet it'll take years before any traditional value would be applicable, imo. That's all for my collection wants and attributes. Going forward who knows. If not for the youtuber it is mostly not mentioned that I know of, mostly every time I've asked I've got that it is foolsgold.

Lol that's all free and from my experience 

Just to say, what you say about 9.8 and 7.0 is not wrong, but I've found mostly 7.0 in the wild and one can dream.

On 1/15/2024 at 6:32 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

It's a tilting windmill that gets gazed at from time to time. I'd argue even 7.0 cgc of newsstands are acceptable, but again depending on year, publication , and status of importance.

And yet it'll take years before any traditional value would be applicable, imo. That's all for my collection wants and attributes. Going forward who knows. If not for the youtuber it is mostly not mentioned that I know of, mostly every time I've asked I've got that it is foolsgold.

Lol that's all free and from my experience 

That is why I argue 9.8 might lift all boats, but that is if it has traction due to year, publication, and status of importance. 

If that was not clear lol

A windmill that gusts in copies from time to time, for me, but is I'd agree a market for now, in the future and by how much who knows  :)

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I believe so early on, or maybe later after 2000s as well.

I was speaking again of 7.0 after 2000, that are just dirt cheap in the wild. I see these issues very common in direct in near mint.

The newsstand usually are vf like he said, but havent been returned, so why they're there idk. If they were returnable.

Copper and 90s modern, usually have some kind of value built in to them, that it could be a preferance over all, and yet I'm pretty sure they were returnable.. After finding several 7.0 after 2000 available, perhaps these were just bought off the stands so the "shop" couldnt return them?

After 2000 may just be less common over all, and if 9.8 makes it in value, vf might follow suit? It is all hearsay or spceculation, although i know it is promoted and or shopped for, even i myself dont watch the videos. Everytime on social if I asked "you going to get the newsstand?" Its followed by foolsgold, so i cant follow up with a "reason why?" Lol

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I say spend your money any way that makes you happy. Personaly, I see no need to spend the money to have both versions especially on a common but expensive book. Maybe a high grade slabbed copy and a reader. Other than a bar code or a Spidey face in the corner, they are both the same.