• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Contact Info for 90's Inkers Doing Commissions?
2 2

21 posts in this topic

Looking for a 90's inker to ink a commission piece from 1996 for me - I like using people who were doing work back in the 90's for inking vintage stuff, I think it adds to the uniqueness of the art. I do prefer inks over the original pencils (not a blue line copy). I've tried a few avenues that have dried up, so I'm asking here to see if someone has a line on an artist or other suggestions. So far, I've contacted:

Scott Williams through here, who gave me a list of other people to try:

Richard Friend (I have a piece from him that turned out amazing, but he has closed his commissions as of about two weeks ago and can't book him). He is working on his own book, Blasterkid, which I would highly recommend checking out - his work is excellent.

Sandra Hope: I have tried a few times to reach out to her and she seems active on IG, but doesn't answer my DMs.

Norm Rapmund: Not active since November of last year on IG. Not sure if he works with a Rep.

Joe Weems: He is currently working on a piece for me, would rather have it completed first, then possibly do another one if he's up for it.

Joyce Chin: Have a request into Essential Sequential, but I have inquired about Joyce's work before (commission) and never heard back, so I'm not sure if it will get answered.

Joe Prado: Also have a request into him for his shipping address in Brazil - he quoted me a price, but I am still waiting to hear back on his availability/turnaround and to try and figure out my shipping. As much as I'd like to have Joe do it, I am a *little* nervous sending it out of the country at that expense.

Marlo Alquiza: has not been active on FB since March of 2022.

Al Vey: Has work on Albert Moy's site, but I don't know if he represents him, and there are no commissions open for him.

Matt Banning (BATT): Reached out to him on FB, he seems active there.

Any suggestions are welcomed - thanks for reading!

I've talked to Marlo Alquiza a few times over the past year when confirming whether he inked some pages where multiple inkers were credited on some issues, try him on Instagram instead 

And Norm Rapmund is repped by Spencer Beck I think (and also repped by Danny Morales on CAF it seems, not sure if that's current)

Edited by JC25427N

Bob McLeod (70s to present) has done inking commissions.  I never really followed the 90's style artists but in his Patreon, he had at least one example which showed a Marvel job where he inked someone with a typical 90's style (flair ?).  It's not his natural style and he's inked a lot of artists so I think he's flexible.  Feel free to show him the piece and let him know you want a 90's look and he can decide if he wants to take it on.  It looks like he no longer maintains his website but his CAF has examples of inking commissions (before / after) with various pencil artists.

Thanks for all the tips, I appreciate it! I'm working on a few and will give them a few days - if I don't hear anything, I'll keep moving down the list here!

On 1/16/2024 at 3:08 PM, Unstoppablejayd said:

Dr Balls,

I’ve had luck with 

Mark Farmer- Larry Tun reps him you can find Larry on Facebook or Caf

Scott Hanna- easy to deal with I’ve reached him through Facebook or at shows

Mark Morales- awesome guy awesome inker and also a OA collector - Instagram or Facebook 

I just sent an email to Larry about Mark - this piece I have by Joe Prado has a style reminiscent of Andy Kubert, so Mark would actually be a neat person to have ink it. If I can lock someone in, I'll post an update here.

On 1/16/2024 at 11:53 AM, Dr. Balls said:

Sandra Hope: I have tried a few times to reach out to her and she seems active on IG, but doesn't answer my DMs.

Sandra is active on twitter and does commissions; if you do not have any luck contacting her I can try to reach out again.

Edited by DougC

Joe Prado was at Heroes Con last year and did a character for a jam piece I'm working on. You might try to arrange a commission for him to bring to a convention like that. Scott Hanna is very active on the convention circuit as well.

On 1/19/2024 at 7:51 AM, RBerman said:

Joe Prado was at Heroes Con last year and did a character for a jam piece I'm working on. You might try to arrange a commission for him to bring to a convention like that. Scott Hanna is very active on the convention circuit as well.

Yeah, Joe had initially suggested a commission dropoff/pickup, but I'm not attending any cons.

Hopefully I hear back this week from someone, if not - I'll work my way down the list of suggestions!

On 1/19/2024 at 12:00 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Yeah, Joe had initially suggested a commission dropoff/pickup, but I'm not attending any cons.

Hopefully I hear back this week from someone, if not - I'll work my way down the list of suggestions!

I’m tight with Larry T- he has some family stuff going on but I made him aware of your email. 

On 1/19/2024 at 11:52 AM, Unstoppablejayd said:

I’m tight with Larry T- he has some family stuff going on but I made him aware of your email. 

Thanks, man - I appreciate it. I’ll actually wait a little bit to hear back from him. I think Farmer’s inks would fit the piece pretty well if he ends up being up for it!

Update: I have requests into - but have not heard back as of yet from:

Mark Farmer

Marlo Alquiza

Scott Hanna

Matt Banning

I just emailed Danny Morales about Norm Rapmund - and he seems active on CAF, so hopefully I hear back. It sounds like (from other people) that responses can just arbitrarily come out of the blue when artists can catch up on projects, so I'm still patiently waiting. :wishluck:

I think you need to go through Spencer Beck, (Artist's Choice), for Scott Hanna and I'm 99% sure he doesn't really take on commissions unless an opportunity is posted but does do them for shows. 

If you're looking for more inker names you can try Mark Pennington who offers commissions through The Lab Comics. I've ordered a few commissions over the years and have been happy with them. If you're on Facebook join the Sketch Prices group and you'll see a ton of commission opportunities get posted 

I talked with Larry T last night about Mark Farmer working on it, and he was upfront in saying it could be up to a year before I saw it again - which I appreciate. Not sure if it makes a difference, but I seem to feel more comfortable discussing with an art rep as it feels like the artist has more of a structured production schedule if he's got a rep. Not sure if that's just my imagination on that or it's a legitimate philosophy.

On 2/2/2024 at 10:20 AM, Ecclectica said:

Off-topic : your new avatar is hurting my eyes... (yes, I'm a sissy)

:banana: It's been bugging people so I changed it. Currently awaiting a wrist-slap.