• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Unnamable Writer: PKD appreciation thread
2 2

122 posts in this topic

On 1/20/2024 at 11:42 AM, Zonker said:

I was surprised to find the Ace Doubles continuing into the 1970s.  And happy to see this particular edition has back-to-back PKD novels.  :banana:

pkd_double_1.thumb.JPG.2a99f75c5fc42356bd4fa4b991672f65.JPGpkd_double_2.thumb.JPG.71021f6717b309b41c226821f2f9e4d8.JPG

That may be the second PKD book I ever owned, the first being a copy of Blade Runner when they released it under the new name to tie into the movie.

On 1/20/2024 at 11:49 AM, OtherEric said:

That may be the second PKD book I ever owned, the first being a copy of Blade Runner when they released it under the new name to tie into the movie.

Which brings up another point:  it's amazing how much easier it is to find PKD books these days.  Back in the late 80's and 90's when I first started looking, the only book that showed up with any regularity was Blade Runner, and finding anything else was a big day.  I remember haunting used bookstores regularly, and I would always make a beeline right for the D's in the science fiction section.  To this day he's the one author I still always check for, even though I've got a nearly complete collection of his works by this point.

A few more I don't think we've seen here yet:

Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch BCE.jpg

Future_1954_10.jpg

Zap Gun.jpg

On 1/21/2024 at 10:58 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

I could have written that myself, Eric. Although I sold most of my collection, I always check book shops on my travels and always have done since I was a teenager.

It actually makes me a little sad, to look at these again. I can't for the life of me think why I let them all go...

It happens, there isn't a collector on this planet who hasn't had something they regret having let go.

I do need to try reading some more of PKD's mainstream novels, I've only actually tackled a couple so far and don't even have most of them yet.

On 1/21/2024 at 7:19 PM, OtherEric said:

It happens, there isn't a collector on this planet who hasn't had something they regret having let go.

Yes. That's the one thing about yesterday's certainty. It's often today's regret.

On 1/21/2024 at 7:19 PM, OtherEric said:

I do need to try reading some more of PKD's mainstream novels, I've only actually tackled a couple so far and don't even have most of them yet.

I really liked them back in the day. I may try one again soon, and see how I feel about it 30 years later. 

Well, it does seem clear to me there was enough interest in PKD to support an appreciation thread for at least a few days, my thanks to everybody who has contributed.

Here's a couple that I don't think have turned up here yet.  One thing that's always struck me as odd:  while the other three VALIS books were all hardcovers, as near as I can tell the only standalone hardcover edition of VALIS itself was an extremely limited edition released in the UK in the late 80's.  I get it being a paperback original, about 2/3 of the books released in PKD's lifetime were.  But I would have expected at least a SFBC edition, particularly since I know there are BCE editions of Divine Invasion and Radio Free Albemuth.

VALIS.jpg

Preserving Machine.jpg

On 1/23/2024 at 5:26 AM, OtherEric said:

Well, it does seem clear to me there was enough interest in PKD to support an appreciation thread for at least a few days, my thanks to everybody who has contributed.

The boards are extremely quiet now so you've done well to get to three pages Eric. 

Blade Runner is the film that likely brought PKD to most people's attention and that film is loved to this day. I wouldn't be surprised if more join in here, if you bump it every so often. I have a few more items dotted about, and will post them when I find them. I bought a nice hardback copy of The Man Whose Teeth Were All Exactly Alike last year (always loved that title) but can't seem to find it. It's probably acting as a comic box gap filler somewhere.

Thanks for starting the thread :foryou:

On 1/20/2024 at 10:47 AM, OtherEric said:

Best of PKD.jpg

This is one of the collected editions I have.  I thought I still might have a copy of the PDK Reader (my first exposure to Minority Report and Paycheck), but it looks like I'll have to get a new one from Goodwill for $5.  I can't find anything in all these stacks of comics.... (first world problems)