• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Change in Grading Fees Effective 24 Jan 2024
2 2

30 posts in this topic

There will be a change in fees effective immediately (Jan 24th), full article here:

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/12543/ 

My first impression is that this looks like a small price drop. At my tier I get 20% off instead of 10%. Also, unless I am mistaken, the minimum charge at high value tiers appears to have been lowered (correct me if I am wrong). 

Thoughts?

On 1/24/2024 at 4:52 PM, Stefan_W said:

My question is whether books currently in the system but not charged (like a pre-screen I have which is SFG) will have the new or old pricing. 

My latest submission was actually delivered today.  I am assuming it goes by the Invoice submission date.

So I assume this box is old pricing.  Not a big deal since I submit once per month.  I am very happy about these changes of course going forward!

Looks like pressing dropped even more.  My recollection is that a Modern press was most recently $15, and no discounts on pressing.  Now $12, and with a 20% discount it's $9.80. If the chart on that link is correct, that is.

The announcement said it would begin with any books received on 1-24 and beyond. So this morning (1-24) my books were marked as received and scheduled for grading. This evening (1-24) I received my receipt for the grading and it doesn’t have a 10% discount for having a premium account. Looks like this one slipped through. It is the first day. Will have to call customer service to get it straightened out. Am I reading this right? Shouldn’t I get 10% off of the grading?

IMG_7308.png

The announcement says:

What if I have a submission at CGC now?

The new pricing is effective for submissions received on or after January 24, 2024, even if the packing slips were created before the price changes.

Yeah, you should call. 

Doesn't surprise me.  I sent in 6 orders in October that were eligible for the pressing $5 credit. They charged the full amount. I had to call on EACH order to get it fixed, and they still owe me for 2 orders since January 4. 

They are quick to take your money, slow to give you their money.

The Vintage section of this chart makes no sense to me:

============================================

Screenshot2024-01-25at00-49-49CallingALLCollectors!SubmittoCGCwithOnlyaFreeMembershipSaveMorewithaPaidMembershipCGC.png.de26f0c5617fd60418fb2009b26c92a7.png

==============================================

If it was $37, and you get 10% off now, why isn't the NEW PRICE $33.30 (like the PREVIOUS PRICE in Elite chart, which was 10% off).  Says $36.

And in the Elite chart, the NEW Price should be $29.60 after getting 20% off.  $37x 0.8 = $29.60

The SAVINGS column on Vintage is worse than the Modern savings.  That can't be right, on a higher cost using the same percentages off.

Are they still teaching math at school, or has that gone the way of cursive and grammar?

And the Unlimited minimums look wacky.  Right now, on the online comic pricing schedule, the minimum is showing as $100.  I don't have any idea what $150/$90 and $135/$80 minimums are.  Makes no sense.

But I haven't submitted an Unlimited.  Maybe someone else can make sense of it.

On 1/24/2024 at 8:41 PM, Hulksdaddy1 said:

What's the difference for a dealer account now?

My question too. I'll be inquiring tomorrow. If dealer accounts are not adjusted (improved) I expect a lot of dealer accounts will become Elite memberships instead. Which will happen quickly - as renewals are next month. 

Is the ability to submit to NCG and PMG new? I don't remember that being included before. 

CCS cannot seem to make up its mind on the cost of pressing moderns.  $15 forever. $10 for a few months of 2023. Back to $15 the end of 2023. And now $12.  Time settle down guys :goodvsevil:

Update. I mocked up several submission. Dealer discount looks to be 25%. And the discount on pressing is new. Used to only be on grading. 

Edited by Tony S

On 1/25/2024 at 12:10 AM, Lightning55 said:

The Vintage section of this chart makes no sense to me:

============================================

Screenshot2024-01-25at00-49-49CallingALLCollectors!SubmittoCGCwithOnlyaFreeMembershipSaveMorewithaPaidMembershipCGC.png.de26f0c5617fd60418fb2009b26c92a7.png

==============================================

If it was $37, and you get 10% off now, why isn't the NEW PRICE $33.30 (like the PREVIOUS PRICE in Elite chart, which was 10% off).  Says $36.

And in the Elite chart, the NEW Price should be $29.60 after getting 20% off.  $37x 0.8 = $29.60

The SAVINGS column on Vintage is worse than the Modern savings.  That can't be right, on a higher cost using the same percentages off.

Are they still teaching math at school, or has that gone the way of cursive and grammar?

And the Unlimited minimums look wacky.  Right now, on the online comic pricing schedule, the minimum is showing as $100.  I don't have any idea what $150/$90 and $135/$80 minimums are.  Makes no sense.

But I haven't submitted an Unlimited.  Maybe someone else can make sense of it.

The new unlimited has to be a mistake.  The price should - and no doubt will be - 4% FMV minus 20 percent. That's 3.2%.  $100 minimum charge becomes $80 minimum charge.  There is no way CGC is lowering the minimum price of Unlimited to $55. That price is less than High value/ 

On 1/25/2024 at 2:35 AM, Tony S said:

The new unlimited has to be a mistake.  The price should - and no doubt will be - 4% FMV minus 20 percent. That's 3.2%.  $100 minimum charge becomes $80 minimum charge.  There is no way CGC is lowering the minimum price of Unlimited to $55. That price is less than High value/ 

The $55 is the savings between 135 and 80. I guess the 150 and 135 were relevant as the old prices, and then they dropped the whole thing to $100 minimum. 

On Unlimited, I can see dropping the fee by 10 or 20%, but why would you drop the minimum? Did they always do that? I haven't submitted under Unlimited. 

I can now see why the Vintage is funky - they raised the base price to $40. Dropping everything else, raising that. Odd.

On 1/25/2024 at 1:50 AM, Lightning55 said:

The $55 is the savings between 135 and 80. I guess the 150 and 135 were relevant as the old prices, and then they dropped the whole thing to $100 minimum. 

On Unlimited, I can see dropping the fee by 10 or 20%, but why would you drop the minimum? Did they always do that? I haven't submitted under Unlimited. 

I can now see why the Vintage is funky - they raised the base price to $40. Dropping everything else, raising that. Odd.

Why who knows. But the Unlimited as you note is just poorly explained. It is $100 minimum on unlimited - minus any discount the submitter qualifies for. 
My best guess on why is competition. That place in Texas has made a big deal of grading high value books at a much lower price than CGC. That CGC is responding suggests that they noticed.