• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2024 CGC Grading Contest Season 3 Winter Edition (#9) Round 3
13 13

130 posts in this topic

On average, I am right on the mark 

Round 2 - undergraded  11pts

Round 3 - overgraded - 11pts

I can only conclude at this point that my 4th place finish last contest was a fluke.

On 2/6/2024 at 8:58 PM, zzutak said:

Junie Prom #6: Moderate crease upper left back cover

Somebody out there lend a brother a hand and show me what the heck is being flagged in this note.  I see a moisture stain (with a tideline and mildew), and I see a faint shadow along the upper left edge, but my old eyes can't find even a small crease (let alone a "moderate" one).  :cry:

I don't see a crease either. I ended at 6.5, because I'm usually under...so if I took my first guess, I would have gotten it correct by accident;) 

On 2/6/2024 at 10:05 PM, skypinkblu said:

Is this something new? You have to confirm you are a not a bot?

Ok, it's not just me.  O.o  Maybe I'm wrong, but they seem to have bigger problems than robots visiting the chat boards.

Due to storm and high winds lost power for a couple days - and apparently my memory, as I forgot to enter grades before cutoff!  Probably saved me from a last place finish!  :kidaround:

On 1/28/2024 at 2:18 PM, CGC Mike said:

Light staining to cover

Moderate finger bends on cover

13 - supermansgirlfriend5a front.jpg

On 2/7/2024 at 1:09 AM, CGC Mike said:

Lois Lane #5

Tear left center back cover

Light creasing to cover

Spine stress lines to cover

Very light staining to cover

13-supermansgirlfriend5cgc.thumb.jpg.2c5f5c3a4f24da7e87534f669cc48827.jpg.1d55ee6461dc7300709cc9978f7c7d1a.jpg

On 2/7/2024 at 1:23 AM, zzutak said:

Book #13 (Lois Lane #5) is criminally overgraded.  :preach:

@CGC Mike

Mike, you advised in its raw state that Lois had 'Moderate finger bends on cover'. The slabbed note says 'Light creasing to cover'. That's a big difference and may explain why many of us graded it much lower than the CGC final grade. Additionally, light staining becomes very light staining. 

Two questions:

1. Why are the before / after grading notes different? Surely you (CGC) select the books for the contest after they have been graded (to ascertain any restoration) in which case the notes you provide at the raw stage should be the same as those in the slabbed results post?
  2. Are any of the books pressed after we see them in their raw state? This might explain why moderate finger bends became light creasing.

On 2/7/2024 at 5:29 AM, boron said:

I can only conclude at this point that my 4th place finish last contest was a fluke

Not at all. It's not possible to accurately grade some of the books in this contest. You may as well throw darts at a mid-range numbered dart board. 

Good eye.  (thumbsu
A similar metamorphosis took place with Book #15 (Junie Prom #6).

Then:

On 1/28/2024 at 6:20 AM, CGC Mike said:

Moderate finger bends on cover

Stain left top of back cover

15 - juniepromcomics6a front.jpg

Now:

On 2/6/2024 at 5:09 PM, CGC Mike said:

Junie Prom Comics #6

Stain left top of back cover

Small crease right bottom front cover breaks color

Moderate crease upper left back cover

Light tears to cover

"Moderate finger bends on cover" somehow morphed into a "Moderate crease upper left back cover" -- a flaw that nobody (as of this moment) has been able to point out.  And did we really need to be advised, up front, that this book has a stain at the upper left edge of the back cover (a blemish that is totally obvious in the scan)?

15x2.thumb.jpg.b7886f5580443a55eb444ed4a31d2eb1.jpg

On 2/7/2024 at 10:49 AM, zzutak said:

Good eye.  (thumbsu

They've probably been pressed.

I just want the competition to be fair, zzutak. If I'm told there are moderate finger bends, and I grade accordingly, I can't be anything other than disappointed to see them disappear when a final, much higher grade than expected is announced. If they don't break colour, finger bends can be hard to see from a scan. So if I'm told they are there, I have to account for them even though I can't see them - just as I do when internal tanning is noted. And as we know, CGC's definition of 'moderate' can vary wildly. I just wish they would take a bit more care on the book selection, presentation and accuracy of information.

I see that 16 of the books are dated prior to 1959, even after a number of us made it clear in the previous contest that too many golds was putting people off. We shouldn't have to point that out, though. There are other eras, and they should be represented.

Oh, I don't know. I try so hard to enjoy this thing but I find myself having negative / mildly exasperated thoughts every time I look at it.

• Administrator
On 2/7/2024 at 6:07 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

I see that 16 of the books are dated prior to 1959, even after a number of us made it clear in the previous contest that too many golds was putting people off. We shouldn't have to point that out, though. There are other eras, and they should be represented.

When I was presented all of the scans/info for this contest, I was told that we (you guys) could pick which types of books you would like for the next contest.   

On 2/7/2024 at 12:43 PM, CGC Mike said:

When I was presented all of the scans/info for this contest, I was told that we (you guys) could pick which types of books you would like for the next contest.   

I think you just need to be reasonable about it Mike. You don't need to do a poll, just present a mix of all eras with a spread of grades. It doesn't have to be a precise ratio, but if you have more than ten of one era among 20 books, and they're all mid grade, that means you're getting the balance wrong.

What of my other points above? 

• Administrator

On 2/7/2024 at 7:51 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

What of my other points above? 

I am working on that post.  

• Administrator

Books are not being pressed after they are scanned for this contest.  I could not see that crease on the back cover of that book.  That is why I added the note above the book.  I do not know why the graders notes changed on a few books.  I will find the answer.  It will not be today, as I have waaay to much backlogged stuff  I need to take care of.  I also have an important meeting to prepare for.    

One of those rounds where over thinking helped some and hurt others:

Wolf Gal - Looked like a classic 4.0 but went 4.5 with the bump :(

Aggie Mack - I had it as a 6.0 /6.5 toss up but went low since I just couldn't go higher

Lois Lane - 6.5 / 7.0 coin flip but it just didn't look nice enough to go above 6.0s so went 6.5

My Secret - 5.0 / 5.5 coin flip and gave it a bump up to 5.5 since it presented nicely

Junie - 6.5 / 7.0 but went 6.5 at the last second

The Wolf Gal is the one I'm kicking myself over since it was a slam dunk 4.0