• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2024 CGC Grading Contest Season 3 Winter Edition (#9) Round 3
13 13

130 posts in this topic

Junie Prom #6: Moderate crease upper left back cover

Somebody out there lend a brother a hand and show me what the heck is being flagged in this note.  I see a moisture stain (with a tideline and mildew), and I see a faint shadow along the upper left edge, but my old eyes can't find even a small crease (let alone a "moderate" one).  :cry:

15x1.thumb.jpg.9000e8a322a83d1fe0e9d9bd5e8331c4.jpg

On 2/6/2024 at 8:46 PM, Kramerica said:

Ugh. 3 Bullseyes but ended up with 6 points as I had Aggie Mac at 7.0 and Lois at 5.0.

I had them both at 7. They’re virtually identical to me. I guess one grader broke up with his girlfriend that day - or one had a very good morning, depending where you fall on the 7 vs 5 debate 

7 round for me...normally par or so for me but I had higher expectations...if I throw out the Supe/Lois book I'm at 4.  Started off with a bullseye and then downhill from there...one off on two other books and then was at 6.0 for the My Secret Life book (1957) so off by 2 points but looks nicer especially when held up against the rest of the bunch (didn't even have a 5.5 toggle on that one only 6.0/6.5).  I'll say it again...if I bought that Supe/Lois book as a 7.0 I'd be sending it back... :whatthe:

Edited by trmoore54

I had my best round so far. Still not great though. I setup a range of grades for each book and then took a grade near the top for my choice. I wound up with one bulls eye and 5 points total. If I had chosen the grade at the upper limit of my range for all 5 books I would have had 2 points. My biggest miss was the Aggie Mack #8 book, which I had at 4.5.

Edited by frozentundraguy

• Administrator

Ok, everyone that submitted their grades should have heard from me in our PM.  If not, bump the PM.  Here's a link to the final round.  You are going to need it.  :eek:

On 2/6/2024 at 5:58 PM, zzutak said:

Junie Prom #6: Moderate crease upper left back cover

Somebody out there lend a brother a hand and show me what the heck is being flagged in this note.  I see a moisture stain (with a tideline and mildew), and I see a faint shadow along the upper left edge, but my old eyes can't find even a small crease (let alone a "moderate" one).  :cry:

15x1.thumb.jpg.9000e8a322a83d1fe0e9d9bd5e8331c4.jpg

This feels like an added dimension to the game: "Real world CGC office working conditions!" Burnt out bulbs overhead, one desk lamp with a 40W bulb on a nearby table. Left my reading glasses at home. Can only focus by viewing comics at arm's length... somewhat compromising visual acuity.

I mean, I'm flarked as far as finishing in the top 70% goes, so don't listen to me, but... if you can't see it in the scans... yeah.

+7 again :( went from undergrading everything to somehow over grading everything. 
Wolf Gal 4.5 (+1)

Aggie Mack 7.0 (+3) don’t understand how this was three grades worse than Lois Lane…

Lois Lane 7.5 (+1)

Secret Life 5.5 (+1)

Junie Prom 6.5 (+1)

A lot of +1’s all contest :/ gotta work on that calibration a bit lol

Edited by Nsschenks

On 2/6/2024 at 12:30 AM, scburdet said:

instant reaction grading round for me to test the instinct vs. studying method

without doing the math, my best round. 2 bullseyes & all the rest within 1 grade. Not a great endorsement of using my brain to do thinking.

giphy.gif