• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Files Lawsuit Against Employees
30 30

672 posts in this topic

On 2/2/2024 at 11:07 PM, ttfitz said:

If I had to guess, I'd say @bluehorseshoe has confused you with @Stefan_W which is where his condescension started. You mentioned looking something up on PACER - which he laughed about - which had been part of his response to Stefan. Given this post:

It seems clear he hasn't kept things straight since "your first post about this stuff" came largely in response to his strange picture of the dismissal.

Although I could be wrong, that's just what it looked like to me.

That’s possible I guess. What’s weird is, this was my first post (below) in the thread , answering the questions regarding the meaning of  “plaintiff has not publicized” and the meaning of the plaintiff putting up “security” against seized assets of the defendant. I can’t imagine this would be the cause of the response.  

On 2/1/2024 at 5:42 PM, comix4fun said:

Actually, that's not why that's there. 

When a plaintiff is seeking relief that includes the seizure of defendant's property as a part of the preliminary injunction and before final decision in the case the plaintiff has to demonstrate that they have not publicized the motion as it could be seen as an unfair use of the situation to damage the defendant(s) before the final disposition of the case. 

Basically, they are asking the court to impound and seize the books and any other materials in question to stop the ongoing damage to their brand and business and they have not sought to use the filing of this seizure and injunction request to damage the defendants on a preliminary request that comes before any final decisions are made by the court on the underlying complaint at law. 

That's also why they are willing to provide security as a part of the seizure request in case, in the underlying case,  the defendants prevail. 

On 2/3/2024 at 8:24 AM, comix4fun said:

That’s possible I guess. What’s weird is, this was my first post (below) in the thread , answering the questions regarding the meaning of  “plaintiff has not publicized” and the meaning of the plaintiff putting up “security” against seized assets of the defendant. I can’t imagine this would be the cause of the response.  

I think part of that requirement has to do with how CGC indicated on the Civil Action Info Sheet in terms of service.  If they don't know how to serve the Defendants, then publication is the default.  Or you can choose not to serve the Defendants, but if you have a Motion for TRO and are requesting injunctive relief, then you have to be able to walk into that hearing and demonstrate service or notice or both.

The other interesting thing is if you have to post a bond for the "value" of the books you want seized under and by the executive ability of the Courts (Marshalls I would guess) then is the "value" of the bond the sum of the listed values by the poor schmucks that sent in these books and were stolen, or is the "value" FMV-because those numbers could be wildly different.  The answer to that must be contemplated very carefully by CGC law firm, because absolutely everything that happens in this case is going to be scrutinized and relied upon in one form or another in the next action and the action after that.  If I was law firm I would have asked that bond information be subject to a protective order.

On 2/2/2024 at 9:53 AM, Iconic1s said:

In order to restore confidence CGC needs new leadership. All these issues in the last couple years…holder swapping, thieving employees, QC issues, getting into bed with substantiated scammers at certain auction houses, the ridiculous tone the company has set on social media… (dumb holiday videos and pimping out their signings), not to mention signers know whose books they are working on!  You never even really know when you will see your books again either.  Convincing us Newton Rings are “normal” :facepalm:  CGC is lucky they have LOYAL customers, or maybe ignorant ones that aren’t paying attention.  As much as I want them to succeed they actually DESERVE to fail at this point.

This is literally a joke now. CGC is being turned into nothing but a gimmick under current leadership.  It is a clear case of the Fox guarding the Hen House.  Letting graders/employees submit and sell books… but you better stay anonymous!  Seriously!!  Keep experts in grading but get a business person in charge of the business.

The President may not have “lied” in a legal sense regarding an inside person on one scandal, but while also having knowledge of this issue, he sure as heck misled a ton of pretty loyal customers that really do want to see this company succeed, either because of the pure love of the hobby, or financial reasons.

It’s clear that although Nelson may be a comic book authority, he is wholly unqualified to run a half a billion dollar company.

Employees were able to steal our books, grade them, and sell them!!  Let THAT sink in a minute.

There is a clear loss of trust and confidence regarding CGC leadership and for the Company’s survival it’s time to clean house.

I have submitted/bought my last CGC graded book until I see a real visible effort by them to right this sinking ship.

You’re making sense and are very articulate in your post.  Shame on you!!!  (tsk) 

:roflmao:

On 2/2/2024 at 2:01 PM, Iconic1s said:

I think much of that is self inflected and was pure greed.  They announce signing upon signing upon signing… if they weren’t prepared to properly secure people’s books they should have tempered that eagerness for massive profits with a little common sense. Now we get to see how it turned out.

Agreed!!  Greed is a major issue these days in so many facets of our current society, from the top on down.  This isn’t a surprise that CGC is, and has been, the same in this regard.  Truly sad and disgusting…😕😕

On 2/3/2024 at 9:58 AM, Galen130 said:

Agreed!!  Greed is a major issue these days in so many facets of our current society, from the top on down.  This isn’t a surprise that CGC is, and has been, the same in this regard.  Truly sad and disgusting…😕😕

That could be a good What If? Episode:  What if Stan Lee had lived long enough to do a CGC mail-in signing in 2021?  

On 2/2/2024 at 11:43 PM, Iconic1s said:

The thing I can’t get past is that the world’s “most trusted third party grader” hired these employees.  CGC was then so lackadaisical in their processes that these employees were able to steal, grade, and sell customer’s books while in CGC’s employment.  I’m completely forgetting about the reholder scandal at the moment. 

There simply has got to be some kind of standard.  We MUST demand something more of this company.

CGC is supposed to be THE PINNACLE.  I mean, how many times am I supposed to let a Barber screw up my haircut before I look for a new Barber?

Changes have simply got to be made… I am certain CGC will be fine… there are tons of shops submitting tons of variants to sell, they’ll make money and 99.9% of buyers won’t know a thing about how the company is mismanaged, or this scandal… they just see their 50th variant of how Harley Quinn destroyed DC encapsulated in plastic and swoon.  But man, I just hit my personal limit for giving a :censored: about CGC until they truly fix themselves.

I’m so irritated because I put so much trust in this company and so much effort into locating books THEY gave high grades.  I loved the registry but now I see they were just playing me all along… current CGC leadership doesn’t give a :censored: about us, or this hobby and they won’t get another dime from me until they EARN it.  Oh, and I don’t give a :censored: what a CCG graded AC 1 sells for on Heritage!  They are crooks too!

This pretty much sums up my take on the matter. Well said.

Jim

On 2/3/2024 at 8:58 AM, Galen130 said:

Agreed!!  Greed is a major issue these days in so many facets of our current society, from the top on down.

I don't put this solely on greed.

Greed would be overcharging for a necessity simply to produce higher profits.

What's going on here is a weird mix of greed and incompetence. Grading comics is about the farthest thing from a necessity as you can get. Which, for most companies in this area, means that there is a strict adherence to putting out the best quality, best value on customers return and instilling future confidence to ensure your product psychologically stays in that part of the brain that says "you need to slab your books!"

CGC has stumbled past this entire philosophy during the constant changes of ownership in search for higher profits, and is now bearing the fruits of these missteps.