• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Foreign sets

35 posts in this topic

• Administrator

@Dennis gitlin The cleanup is still in process and will be ongoing for several months, but let me know what sets you're referring to and I'll look into it. Do you mean there are still Foreign Editions in US sets? 

On 2/6/2024 at 11:39 AM, jstam said:

@Dennis gitlin The cleanup is still in process and will be ongoing for several months, but let me know what sets you're referring to and I'll look into it. Do you mean there are still Foreign Editions in US sets? 

The opposite, asm 129,252,300 secret wars 8 foreign sets all have the American book in there 

• Administrator

@Dennis gitlin The Canadian Price Variant was never removed and remains in the set. I did organize it though so it's easier to see. The person who built that set must have done so before we'd got a lot of those books in and before most were re-labeled in our system under the English title. I added some that were missing to it and removed a couple that are not Secret Wars 8. 

On 2/6/2024 at 3:29 PM, jstam said:

@Dennis gitlin The Canadian Price Variant was never removed and remains in the set. I did organize it though so it's easier to see. The person who built that set must have done so before we'd got a lot of those books in and before most were re-labeled in our system under the English title. I added some that were missing to it and removed a couple that are not Secret Wars 8. 

Ah I see it now!

• Administrator

@Dennis gitlin 

This set was built before me and foreign books have also gone through changes in our database as we received more. I'm guessing this set was built at the beginning when the information was not as accurate.

These books are all listed as Finnish in our database, and that is what I've based the slot titles on as that is what the information returned. I can ask the data team to investigate.

Do you own the books in question? 

On 2/6/2024 at 5:33 PM, jstam said:

@Dennis gitlin 

This set was built before me and foreign books have also gone through changes in our database as we received more. I'm guessing this set was built at the beginning when the information was not as accurate.

These books are all listed as Finnish in our database, and that is what I've based the slot titles on as that is what the information returned. I can ask the data team to investigate.

Do you own the books in question? 

I own them just not all are graded,but here’s the Norwegian edderkoppen 4 and kongular madurin pics, I actually have the whole set 

IMG_5700.jpeg

IMG_5701.jpeg

• Administrator

@Dennis gitlin I was hoping you did own these. I was going to ask for some pictures so that I can cross reference against what we have, and you've already provided some; thank you. 

I spoke with the team in charge of Foreign books this morning, and they confirmed that since 2021, they began to give all Foreign books the English title with the country as the edition to reference where it actually originated from, along with the publisher. They let me know that prior to this conversion project, many books were incorrectly classified as being from Finland and this was due to Finland being a major publisher of many comics for the European market. 

They said that they've converted the bulk of Foreign books over, and no Secret Wars 8 should be listed under any Foreign title, so the ones you've referenced can be removed because they now exist under the English title, and so are duplicates.

As the cleanup progresses, I'll be looking carefully into other Foreign sets built prior to my coming onto the Registry as I suspect there will be more situations like this. 

On 2/7/2024 at 9:29 AM, jstam said:

@Dennis gitlin I was hoping you did own these. I was going to ask for some pictures so that I can cross reference against what we have, and you've already provided some; thank you. 

I spoke with the team in charge of Foreign books this morning, and they confirmed that since 2021, they began to give all Foreign books the English title with the country as the edition to reference where it actually originated from, along with the publisher. They let me know that prior to this conversion project, many books were incorrectly classified as being from Finland and this was due to Finland being a major publisher of many comics for the European market. 

They said that they've converted the bulk of Foreign books over, and no Secret Wars 8 should be listed under any Foreign title, so the ones you've referenced can be removed because they now exist under the English title, and so are duplicates.

As the cleanup progresses, I'll be looking carefully into other Foreign sets built prior to my coming onto the Registry as I suspect there will be more situations like this. 

How can you remove a foreign book from a foreign set? Even though it’s under the American title it’s still a foreign book with the foreign title underneath the American

• Administrator

@Dennis gitlin What I'm trying to explain is that the slots in that set that are labeled with their Foreign title are all duplicates. They've been re-labeled in our database under Secret Wars 8 with the country for the editions, as the labels you have show. So these are duplicates. 

On 2/7/2024 at 9:49 AM, jstam said:

@Dennis gitlin What I'm trying to explain is that the slots in that set that are labeled with their Foreign title are all duplicates. They've been re-labeled in our database under Secret Wars 8 with the country for the editions, as the labels you have show. So these are duplicates. 

Duplicates only by label, they’re still unique books, there’s gotta be a better way to sort this without removing “duplicates”

• Administrator

@Dennis gitlin The books that correspond to the Foreign title slots have been corrected in our database. They were incorrectly named, as you pointed out. They've all been re-named to Secret Wars 8 with the respective, correct country applied under the Edition. Your labels reflect this correction. Those books can be added to the highlighted slots that are in the set. So the books themselves are not being removed from the set; they of course have a place. Only the incorrectly named, duplicate slots will be removed. 

image.pngimage.png