• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Registry Set Naming Conventions ('Foreigns')
2 2

6 posts in this topic

Hello @jstam, I'm basing this question on the example in this recent post here:

https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/532291-foreign-sets/?do=findComment&comment=13089698

CGC classify 'International Editions' as having three components as follows:

1. Unique Editions
  2. Foreign Editions
  3. Price Variants

If the overarching title is 'International Editions', why do you create the set title as "Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars #8 Foreign Editions"?

Surely "Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars #8 International Editions" would be more appropriate if you are going to include the three component types within the set group?

Am I missing something?

foreigns.thumb.PNG.5cd689c939c0ff923d8e9e215f80761a.PNG

• Administrator

@Get Marwood & I

The term Foreign has been used long before I came onto the Registry team.

The set you referenced was created by someone before me and I did not name it. That set falls under the Specialized set structure and Foreign Editions makes sense for it since it contains books from multiple countries.

Sets structured around books from a single Foreign country include the name Canadian Editions/Price Variants, Argentinian Editions, etc., alongside the title of the run.

For the purposes of the Registry, any book distributed outside of the US falls into the Foreign category. Foreign and International hold the same meaning. 

If what you're trying to point out here is consistency based on the article you referenced, I understand the purpose. The term Foreign was used on the Registry prior to me, and the aim was to keep that consistent. 

If there are others who feel that Specialized sets collecting books from multiple countries should be termed "International Editions" rather than "Foreign Editions" they can add to this conversation. 

On 2/6/2024 at 10:18 PM, jstam said:

If what you're trying to point out here is consistency based on the article you referenced, I understand the purpose. The term Foreign was used on the Registry prior to me, and the aim was to keep that consistent. 

Surely you (CGC) would want your Registry terminology to reflect the definitions you yourself have set out as a company in your explanatory article on International Editions? It may have been used before, but the word 'foreigns' is now the title of a subset of International Editions. If you are in the process of updating the registry, now is the time to introduce consistency of terminology. Isn't it?

• Administrator

@Get Marwood & I I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I'm not the only person involved in making these kinds of decisions. It's always good to gather a consensus from folks who collect these books on the Registry so that I can take that information back to the others on the administrative side of things.

On 2/6/2024 at 10:43 PM, jstam said:

@Get Marwood & I I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I'm not the only person involved in making these kinds of decisions. It's always good to gather a consensus from folks who use the Registry so that I can take that information back to the others on the administrative side of things.

OK.

international /ĭn″tər-năsh′ə-nəl, -năsh′nəl/

adjective

1. Of, relating to, or involving two or more nations.
    "an international commission; international affairs."
  2. Extending across or transcending national boundaries.
    "international fame."
  3. Between or among nations; pertaining to the intercourse of nations; participated in by two or more nations; common to, or affecting, two or more nations.

I would categorize CGC's current stance on these books as "Non-USA".  "International" implies that the USA books would be included.