• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Humphrey Bogart thread. King of Film Noir.
1 1

26 posts in this topic

Dark Passage is definitely my favorite of the Bogey and Bacall flicks. The tensions are definitely rife especially when he is hiding out in her apartment. Of course the iconic "escape" intro is also unmatched.

For his solo endeavors I definitely loved In A Lonely Place and the African Queen. One thing I've always noticed is that Bogart always had female co-stars that matched his acting style and I've never quite seen that again (at least in succession), with Gloria Grahame matching him with wit and Katherine Hepburn matching him in independence in each of those films.

As a co-star I could probably say the Roaring Twenties as being his best. Him and Cagney really let the scenes simmer with their characters' tension.

Edited by Skylath

Casablanca is my all time favorite film.

The first time you see Bogart, he's having a drink and a smoke while deep in thought during a chess game . . . with himself. Right there, is everything you need to know about that character.

Brilliant.

On 2/9/2024 at 4:25 PM, The Commissioner said:

Excellent idea for a thread.

Casablanca is my favorite film. Something that I watch a few times a year.

Same.  I had to watch Casablanca for a english class in high school.  I thought it would be awful and I've watched at least once a year since then.  It's a really good film. 

On 2/6/2024 at 9:12 PM, Chaz G. said:

Casablanca is my all time favorite film.

The first time you see Bogart, he's having a drink and a smoke while deep in thought during a chess game . . . with himself. Right there, is everything you need to know about that character.

Brilliant.

Ugarte:  You despise me!  Don't you, Rick?

Rick:  I probably would if I gave you a thought!  

:cool:

Edited by Coverless 9.8