• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC is now grading pulp magazines
3 3

36 posts in this topic

On 2/7/2024 at 8:34 PM, sfcityduck said:

Funny thing is, I've seen certain pulps graded for years.  There's four copies of the LB Cole cover pulp "A How-To Book" issue 7 ("Complete How-To Book of Space") on the census. 

I have a handful of these books and I see they are on the census (I've never personally seen one in a slab).  Would this be a candidate for pulp slabbing or should it go the comic book route?  

6.5-in. x 9.5-in.; black and white; 96 newsprint pages

1153663.jpg

I am quite interested to see what kind of notes they might put on the labels from their 50,000 book database.  The majority of pulps I collect are in regard to a specific artist, and I'd want the artist ID'd on the label....

On 2/8/2024 at 7:54 PM, Yorick said:

I am quite interested to see what kind of notes they might put on the labels from their 50,000 book database.  The majority of pulps I collect are in regard to a specific artist, and I'd want the artist ID'd on the label....

Snagged this from the short video. Verification number is not legit, but this might give you some idea of what  to expect.

Screenshot(99).png.b03e4f5236afc2dd7d597119fb2bd7ec.png

Screenshot(101).thumb.png.314f4eab80d9423343c202762492aa5f.png

Edited by SpineTic

On 2/8/2024 at 5:05 PM, SpineTic said:

Snagged this from the short video. Verification number is not legit, but this might give you some idea of what  to expect.

Screenshot(99).png.b03e4f5236afc2dd7d597119fb2bd7ec.png

I was assuming as much.  Cover artist and "important" story author(s).  We shall see as some slab images are posted...

On 2/8/2024 at 7:25 AM, Paul © ® 💙™ said:

Pulps have been crying out to be graded for years.

It's a welcome manoeuvre.

One has to feel so sorry for CGC, being so skint they finally reluctantly had to acquiesce,  meh

100% AGREE...prices are gonna be insane 3-5 years from now....a lot of people do not have this info.....make you moves

On 2/8/2024 at 8:08 PM, Yorick said:

I was assuming as much.  Cover artist and "important" story author(s).  We shall see as some slab images are posted...

If you are searching for specific authors, check out Galactic Central ( http://www.philsp.com/ ).  You can sort by author or by story, and print off a list of your favorite writer to use as a search/checklist.

On 2/9/2024 at 5:44 AM, Bookery said:

If you are searching for specific authors, check out Galactic Central ( http://www.philsp.com/ ).  You can sort by author or by story, and print off a list of your favorite writer to use as a search/checklist.

That site is terrific.  That helped populate a large portion of my list.  Still a lot missing though (for my Artist).

Here's a short video that popped up on YouTube about the history of pulps for curious GA fans who aren't collecting 'em. While an oversimplification, it's a good fast paced primer on the relevance of pulps as an essential, underserved collector's market.  Nate Price has his facts straight and draws the correct conclusions about influences.

Note: I would've linked this video in the pulp forum or in General, but that'd take too much thought after imbibing ale. lol

:cheers:

On 2/12/2024 at 8:13 AM, Bookery said:

A pretty good overview.  I would just quibble with a couple of things toward the end.  It really isn't correct to put Fitzgerald and Christie lumped in with pulp writers.  Christie's 1st publication was a full-blown hardback novel which introduced Hercule Poirot.  Her "Miss Marple" short stories did appear in pulps first in America, but presumably had already appeared in England (though I was unable to track down what sort of publication they first appeared in when I researched the guides).  Fitzgerald was never a pulp writer.  His first publication was in a university literary magazine, followed by appearances in the Saturday Evening Post, not considered a pulp by any means.  All sorts of authors were often reprinted much later in pulps, but that's not the same thing.

Jack London is a bit of a stretch also, though a case might be made.  He appeared first (and somewhat frequently) in the literary magazine The Overland Monthly.  The magazine's origins precede anything we now consider to be officially pulp.  But London did publish some stories in the pulps afterward, so he's a bit of a crossover.  

Yep, excellent quibbles. I think Nate should've mentioned a few of the more prominent pulp writers who graduated into television/film writing (etc.) who aren't familiar names. Examples like Robert Leslie Bellem and Hugh B. Cave come to mind. He teased John W. Campbell's "Who Goes There" written under the pseudonym Don A. Stuart ...the short story which became the basis for both Thing films (Carpenter's arguably much closer to the original story)... in the year before Campbell was given editorship of Street & Smith's Astounding, his direction advancing SF storytelling. 

Overall, as an introduction, Mr. Price's video was much better than expected. 

Matt Nelson's posts on pulps are also excellent, including reference sources to educate hobbyists on the history. While he understandably skirted over interior B&W art, Matt's focus on the magnificent cover paintings is dead-on and why pulps are ideally suited for encapsulation, difficulty notwithstanding.