• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC is now grading pulp magazines
3 3

36 posts in this topic

• Administrator

CGC Now Grading Pulp Magazines

Posted on 2/6/2024

Pulp collectors, rejoice! CGC Comics is now grading the short-story prose fiction novels published in the early-20th Century.

CGC is thrilled to announce that pulp grading has officially begun! Closely related to comic books, pulps have been seriously collected, researched and written about for many decades. They were one of the primary forms of entertainment during the first half of the 20th century, impacting American pop culture by influencing movies, radio, comic books and eventually television.

Even though the format and target audience of pulps differed from comic books, the two have several things in common. Pulps played a key role in the genesis of comic book superheroes during the 1930s, and by the 1940s several pulp publishers were producing their own comic books, such as Street & Smith, Fawcett, Fiction House, Timely, Nedor/Popular and Ziff-Davis.

PROD-2252%20Pulp%20Landing%20Page_Graphi

Great article…fascinating, lots to unpack. I’m getting out my popcorn for when people notice the policies on trimming and missing pages. hm 

On 2/7/2024 at 4:11 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

My Gernsback Amazing "bedsheets" from the '20s are eyeing this; some are high grade... :cheers:

3feade52-bc82-4807-8575-b8abebd0fcc2_zpsd6b797f2.jpeg.97619255ac96a148b95f1ed9426938c3.jpeg

That's a beauty! Love the book but it's hard to imagine the tank of a case that would come back.

On 2/7/2024 at 8:10 AM, Robot Man said:

So does this mean pulps can be submitted for grading now? How does one assess value? Many are so rare that there is no track record of sales. The Bookery guide is obviously low but is probably all we have to go by. 

Got sort of an answer.  They use multiple sources to determine fmv, but wont go into specifics.  Honestly i think there is no real way to value a lot of the books, unleas its obvious like a firsr tarzan.  It also sounds like the value you declare helps if the book goes missing and insurance gets involved. 

On 2/7/2024 at 2:39 PM, szav said:

Maybe.  Probably.  Is there as much a need in pulps to certify their authenticity as there is in comics?  Was restoration ever that rampant in pulps, is there a need to detect it?

Seems no one cares too much about trimming in pulps, and given their generally lower value relative to comics were people doctoring them to the same degree?

Also, seems like it would be way harder and less worth anyone’s time to create pulp forgeries as compared to comics.

This move seems like a relatively easy slam dunk but I dunno how much it really pushes the pulp market long term.  Just my random thoughts and questions though, I have no experience or expertise in pulps.

In my limited experience, the benefit would just be for condition when buying a book online.  More than a few times I've gotten books with glued on covers, missing pages, water warping etc that was not discernable in the photos nor mentioned in the descriptions.  These things don't bother me, but had they been known they would factor in the price I was willing to pay.  The old solution was to stick to reputable sellers who you could trust, but I guess this opens up another avenue.  Although personally I'd rather pulp grading not be a thing to begin with, as I don't like the idea of the market inflating in price while I'm still collecting books.

Restoration like glued covers and the like is common in the pulps, but I'd point out that 90 percent of the time I see "restoration" it is simply a case of someone wanting to keep a book in readable shape.  I don't think color touch happens too often or that's there's often an intent to deceive in what people have done to keep their books together, but maybe that's just my low-roller experience.

Edited by Darwination

On 2/8/2024 at 10:25 PM, sagii said:

Will be sending this one in. Post 30's but nice condition and wild cover. 

Screenshot_20240203_172648_Yahoo Mail.jpg

lol  He's got a blowtorch going right onto his bicep and he's still holding on, as opposed to having his arm cut in two! lol

Pulps have been crying out to be graded for years.

It's a welcome manoeuvre.

One has to feel so sorry for CGC, being so skint they finally reluctantly had to acquiesce,  meh

On 2/7/2024 at 9:52 AM, waaaghboss said:

Got sort of an answer.  They use multiple sources to determine fmv, but wont go into specifics.  Honestly i think there is no real way to value a lot of the books, unleas its obvious like a firsr tarzan.  It also sounds like the value you declare helps if the book goes missing and insurance gets involved. 

Sounds like they have no idea what pulps are worth and how to charge for grading. They are putting the responsibility on us by the fear of losing our books and being under insured.

As time goes on, there will be a lot more examples of sales on the more popular and hot issues. I can already hear sellers and collectors saying “only one on the census” or “highest graded” to pimp their wares…:roflmao:

On 2/8/2024 at 8:46 AM, Robot Man said:

Sounds like they have no idea what pulps are worth and how to charge for grading. They are putting the responsibility on us by the fear of losing our books and being under insured.

As time goes on, there will be a lot more examples of sales on the more popular and hot issues. I can already hear sellers and collectors saying “only one on the census” or “highest graded” to pimp their wares…:roflmao:

I was already thinking of mirroring that 10 or fewer cgc graded comic topic, but making it 1 or fewer 😆