• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sure seems like not a lot of new signiture events being announced lately.
1 1

11 posts in this topic

On 2/8/2024 at 6:38 AM, CaseyJohnson said:

Used to be new artist events being announced all the time but news has been REALLY dry in that regard for several months.  What's up with that?

Just speculation but it seems a bit like the off-season but also comics have tanked so much that they are at pre-covid prices and even below that now due to the excess supply of signed stuff. I think a lot of these individuals struck while the iron was hot so to speak and know now that the boom is over.

Basically I think cgc might find it hard to find people to come sign as its not worth their while. I see books on ebay sitting with no bids for a super low price…

Hopefully they are taking stock with a new streamlined service and adhere to advertised sale limitations; Art Adams books were oversold and now 6+ Months late, Jim Lee books are in the same boat but only a little over a month late. Per CGC's own terms if a signing has to be rescheduled the books are kept in the office vault, but these books are with the artist kept in unknown conditions.

CGC has refused all responsibility for the above delay and ignore most questions and tell you that they will get done when they get done so kick rocks loser (paraphrasing).

I'm totally fine with them taking a breather on the signings while they get all the other ducks in a row. 

Also it seems like the current ROI isn't worth it - the lowest I've seen any of these signings is $80, and add $20 for pressing and $20 for shipping bumps you to $120, which seems bananas when often signed 9.8s are going for less than that on ebay - why would you risk sending a book in to get a 9.6 back when you can get a signed 9.8 for less money?

On 2/8/2024 at 7:44 AM, Gator Guru said:

Just speculation but it seems a bit like the off-season but also comics have tanked so much that they are at pre-covid prices and even below that now due to the excess supply of signed stuff. I think a lot of these individuals struck while the iron was hot so to speak and know now that the boom is over.

Basically I think cgc might find it hard to find people to come sign as its not worth their while. I see books on ebay sitting with no bids for a super low price…

The other part of this is that as of the last year, most of their "in house signings" are not actually done in house. A large portion of them are done with guests attending larger cons that CGC will have a presence at. Like I know they did a ton of signings at NYCC last year, and they recent team Artgerm signing I am pretty sure was done when they were at Megacon. I also know they did some last summer during SDCC. So, first part of the year is a lot slower "Big Con Wise." So, that will also slow down their signing. They still do have some that they will fly in to the home office in Sarasota. But feels like is much fewer and farther between, then during the height of Covid, when cons were not happening. 

On 2/8/2024 at 9:15 AM, dbcn said:

I'm totally fine with them taking a breather on the signings while they get all the other ducks in a row. 

Also it seems like the current ROI isn't worth it - the lowest I've seen any of these signings is $80, and add $20 for pressing and $20 for shipping bumps you to $120, which seems bananas when often signed 9.8s are going for less than that on ebay - why would you risk sending a book in to get a 9.6 back when you can get a signed 9.8 for less money?

That has been my issue as well. I see the books being submitted and know that someday those books will have to be sold off. As soon as they are submitted they lose value. Spawn #1 for the McFarlane signing lost 20% of its value as soon as he touched it. The cenus numbers swelled like crazy. No signer is immune from this effect. Eventually the market becomes so saturated. Still there is $ to be spent and you will see if it is modern it needs to be a 9.8 and signed by Stan Lee to be a true investment. Other than that, submit if you want but its a losing proposition with how many #s are being submitted and how soft the market is. This doesn't even take into affect the likelihood CGC is knowing or unknowingly practicing pop control on 9.8s....

Additionally artist sites - I can think of at least 2 I've bought from in the last couple months, and I'm sure there are more - that list signed 9.8s at around the same price as what CGC would charge for sending a book in - if you use $120 as a base ($80 sig fee, $20 pressing, $20 shipping), you can easily find artist sites selling signed 9.8s for that (or occasionally, less).

I'll admit that I do enjoy doing the window bagging and prep work and figuring out where a signature should go - it's pretty fun - to either have a facilitator submit or submit myself for an in-house signing, but between CGC's fees (and any other facilitating fees, extra shipping and etc) that adds up quick, and unless there's something really specific I'm looking for, it's just not worth the hassle & extra cost - why end up paying closer to $200 for a submitted book that you end up with a 9.6 with, vs spending half that and getting a guaranteed 9.8?

On 2/8/2024 at 2:12 PM, dbcn said:

Additionally artist sites - I can think of at least 2 I've bought from in the last couple months, and I'm sure there are more - that list signed 9.8s at around the same price as what CGC would charge for sending a book in - if you use $120 as a base ($80 sig fee, $20 pressing, $20 shipping), you can easily find artist sites selling signed 9.8s for that (or occasionally, less).

I'll admit that I do enjoy doing the window bagging and prep work and figuring out where a signature should go - it's pretty fun - to either have a facilitator submit or submit myself for an in-house signing, but between CGC's fees (and any other facilitating fees, extra shipping and etc) that adds up quick, and unless there's something really specific I'm looking for, it's just not worth the hassle & extra cost - why end up paying closer to $200 for a submitted book that you end up with a 9.6 with, vs spending half that and getting a guaranteed 9.8?

Thats the rub. Let someone else take the hit. I have seen books listed for super high prices until eventually the seller comes down to reality. No one is getting fooled anymore after the implosion in comic prices post 2021. Also no one is submitting books when the resale value is minimal and there is no guarantee to a certain grade. 

I preach patience to the auto/ sig series collectors at this point. What you are after will eventually make its way to eBay.

On 2/8/2024 at 9:15 AM, dbcn said:

Why would you risk sending a book in to get a 9.6 back when you can get a signed 9.8 for less money?

That means creators and reps will stop tacking on a CGC upcharge now that we can (once again) prove that signatures don't always add value to a book... Right? RIGHT?!?

(This is sarcasm in case that's not obvious to everyone.)