• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rob Liefeld is retiring
4 4

89 posts in this topic

This is just his latest attempt to keep his name in the news and stay relevant because his current work certainly can't do that.  He should retire from behaving like a contemptuous creative genius.

Edited by LudaToke

On 2/8/2024 at 10:19 AM, Azkaban said:

He retired a long time ago :gossip:

Guess he can continue use his initial signature of 'RLD' to sign each comic for $85 USD or about $110 Cdn. loonie at regional comicons, Fan Expos.

I was going to post that YouTube Seinfeld clip where Kramer announces he's retiring and Jerry asks "from WHAT?" But on further reflection, Rob deserves some respect for his career even if his art is not my cup of tea. (Well OK, I just couldn't get the embedding to work.)

On 2/8/2024 at 2:07 PM, CJ Design said:

LIEFELD?? Never heard of her.hm

On 2/8/2024 at 2:16 PM, Dr. Balls said:

No kidding. And that was at the very beginning of the all-new artist superstardom trend - which was not necessarily about how amazing your art was, but how amazingly you marketed yourself. And he was in unknown territory and he just went for it. Being - what? 19, 20, 21 years old and having the nuts to do that? I respect that. I may not have 30 years ago, but I respect it now. That's a pretty cool thing to have happen to you, and he took advantage of the opportunity. Good for him.

I look at some of these early pages, and they are really pretty awesome. Sure, people can find specific issues with them, but holy cow - I agree that there is some great talent at work here when it comes to experimenting with a new style/format in sequential art.

New Mutants 89 shows some interesting POV angles, and he moves the story along pretty well:

image.png.1164fc6e259d818fda53008ace337318.png

New Mutants 94 with a big DPS of Wolverine vs Cable. Pretty dynamic but lacking some of that contrast and balance we'd seen in the earlier issues. I was not a fan of the background crosshatching as the line weight is similar to the characters in the foreground and gets a little lost.

image.thumb.png.14976cf2081e37f1ae6e6ba3fb3373be.png

New Mutants 98 DPS - the crosshatching is gone and replaced by large whitespace areas and linear linework.

image.thumb.png.e3828ca2ef23c9e0938ed34cd109cfa6.png

X-Force #3 - this is where I really start to like his small pencil stroke style - it's starting to have more energy packed into each line than his NM work. I also like that his panels carry different styles of borders and weights during high action scenes.

image.thumb.png.a5632a031a016860a8cd0e069924fbd6.png

X-Force 7 - he continues to push his short-stroke style and I think he's really shining at this point:

image.thumb.png.c6ff671385ecf641ce05737d9e4c671f.png

Youngblood 4 - now he's on his own and he's using some style to create backgrounds that work with the composition, rather than just using them as "noise".

image.thumb.png.0eaafe877677e0489f11c2d78afee7bf.png

Liefeld's work is way out of my league - I don't know, but I think these pages are, like $30-$50k pieces. And are awesome. I'd be proud to own any one of them as they are historic comic art from that era. Bit it also exemplifies what @Ken Aldred was saying about his talent. Pretty great stuff.

I just waiting for his bad girl Avengelyne movie. I got 100 copies. I ready to cash in . Lol

On 2/8/2024 at 11:35 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I'd gladly pay $250 for his chisel signature on my unpublished Liefeld piece if I met him at a convention.

I cannot imagine paying that much for any artist's autograph. I have heard of artists charging $30—$50, but I never knew any were charging $250 or anywhere close. (I personally wouldn't pay 5 cents for his autograph, but to each his own.)

I also didn't know that people existed who like 90s comic book art, so I learned a couple of new things today.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 2/8/2024 at 4:55 PM, lostboys said:

Rob certainly isn't Todd or Jim Lee but I honestly can't understand how anyone can hate his artwork.

Because it is :censored:ing atrocious? 

On 2/8/2024 at 4:17 PM, Real Elijah Snow said:

Hey, I own that page!! I've always said this about his art, sure you can find things wrong with it, but he's one of those guys that I will always look at anything he's done. I find his style fascinating, and the 90's nostalgia hits hard with his stuff. 

(worship)

Congrats on that page! I actually picked that one out because the faces, expressions and perspective were really stand-out. That is a killer layout.