• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GRADE IS IN Daredevil 1
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Is the colour of the spine soiling or tanning? Is that staining on the back (the slightly whiter patches)? Tanning and staining could hold it back, but a clean and press should improve presentation significantly. The spine stress and tears are not too bad for a mid grade book. I think 5.0 is probably the worst case scenario. 

It looks like almost all of the spine stress should be able to press out. I don't think the top edges will structurally benefit from a press, but they'd certainly present nicer. It's hard to tell what's dust shadowing v staining so I don't suspect that much can be told about cleaning until it's actually in hand.

I think it can absolutely press into the VG/FN range and can maybe be cleaned into the VG/FN/FN- range. I would think a great result has you around 5.5, and more likely 4.5/5.0. I think the top edges have too much tearing to get into the FN range, and I think if it is a dust shadow (which seems most likely) you're looking at a 5.0 ceiling more or less.

4.5 for me as well...I'm not an expert on pressing, but would ask the presser you choose whether or not the tanning on the spine might make the book risky to press. From the photos you shared the interior of the front cover at the spine doesn't look too tanned, but it's always better to be safe than sorry. Should you move forward with a clean and press, I can also see the book bumping up to 5.0 after this is done.

Regardless of what you decide to do, the book presents very nicely for its grade and has rich cover colors!

On 3/6/2024 at 12:26 PM, Qalyar said:

I would never have thought that top margin would clean up that thoroughly. Congrats, that's a winner.

Thanks! My presser did a great job.