• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Cast Announced - Did They Get It Right? And Now (4/4)... Shalla-Bal?
2 2

83 posts in this topic

On 2/15/2024 at 10:25 AM, jimjum12 said:

When she falls asleep, sometimes I will watch Prometheus for the 55th time :cloud9: GOD BLESS... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Man, I love Prometheus - I do the same thing.

-Balls(a friend of David):Rocket:

On 2/15/2024 at 10:52 AM, jimjum12 said:

I always liked the idea of a period piece set in the 60's, maybe a three film showpiece. I'm not going to waste my breath trying to explain to MCU why that would be such a "fantastic" direction, but they're far too dense and disconnected to digest it. Here lately they try to make everyone happy, just make good film, people. They keep insisting on changing everything and it just isn't resonating at the box office. They keep getting it wrong, appearing to insist that they are eventually going to figure out a way to make wrong right. GOD BLESS ...

Yeah, that would be great. Change the look and tone, even the color palette.....set it in the "Mad Men" era, and they give themselves freedom and distance from everything that's come before it and maybe a chance for something fresh. 

On 2/15/2024 at 10:02 AM, Dr. Balls said:

That's good to hear, we'll give it another try. The kid from Shameless is a great actor - that's why we watched it in the first place, so with that little observation, I think we'll put it back on the watch list.

I know it starts off with some intense moments, but it's much more than that. Such a great show.

And the actor who played Cousin Richie seems perfect to play Ben Grimm. He really nails the street-tough, vulnerable, hurting but also angry kind of character. 

On 2/15/2024 at 12:30 PM, comix4fun said:

Yeah, that would be great. Change the look and tone, even the color palette.....set it in the "Mad Men" era, and they give themselves freedom and distance from everything that's come before it and maybe a chance for something fresh. 

It could work ... Summer of Love, Nam, Civil Rights movement, the Moon landing, birth of the computer age, nuclear trauma, strong focus on family, it was a crucible for greatness or despair ... but it was still up to each one of us. GOD BLESS ... 

... MCU, for some reason, is unable to grasp the connection between the FF and the times that gave birth to them. And Jack Kirby entering his second childhood at exactly the right time. :cloud9:

On 2/15/2024 at 12:27 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I bet they will recast Franklin Richards as a girl.

MCU is infected with terminal wokeness ... they've jettisoned the tradition and continuity that created the brand loyalty, and replaced it with a pimping of and pandering to a new emerging demographic that is "waken" enough to recognize their gratuitous attempts at manipulation and is smart enough to be insulted by it. Not a way to build an empire. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. GOD BLESS ...

On 2/15/2024 at 11:54 AM, jimjum12 said:

MCU is infected with terminal wokeness ... they've jettisoned the tradition and continuity that created the brand loyalty, and replaced it with a pimping of and pandering to a new emerging demographic that is "waken" enough to recognize their gratuitous attempts at manipulation and is smart enough to be insulted by it. Not a way to build an empire. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. GOD BLESS ...

Broadening appeal to get more consumers is as old as capitalism...and would fit perfectly into the "mad men" era....Don Draper would be the first person to do it if it meant more eyes on the product, more sales, and a bigger commission. And no one would ever use those terms to define him.  

don-cares.gif.476f658b9a0596b9a65c07cc5c0d810b.gif

Our generation of sweaty mom's basement dwellers only spend a fraction of the licensing and IP dollars needed to keep quarterly reports up to expectations. Can't grow if you're catering exclusively to a rapidly aging, dying and inevitably shrinking demo. Nothing breaks an empire faster than catering to people who are now spending their money on scooters and retirement community dues and ignoring young people with disposable incomes to waste. 

On 2/15/2024 at 12:05 PM, comix4fun said:

Broadening appeal to get more consumers is as old as capitalism...and would fit perfectly into the "mad men" era....Don Draper would be the first person to do it if it meant more eyes on the product, more sales, and a bigger commission. And no one would ever use those terms to define him.  

don-cares.gif.476f658b9a0596b9a65c07cc5c0d810b.gif

Our generation of sweaty mom's basement dwellers only spend a fraction of the licensing and IP dollars needed to keep quarterly reports up to expectations. Can't grow if you're catering exclusively to a rapidly aging, dying and inevitably shrinking demo. Nothing breaks an empire faster than catering to people who are now spending their money on scooters and retirement community dues and ignoring young people with disposable incomes to waste. 

Forgot why I posted that....it was because I just want quality. The original material was meant for a certain time, place, audience, set of consumers. So, I don't mind changes. As long they are quality changes and I get more content to watch, I am thrilled. We've suffered through such garbage that I'll take just about any change or alteration if it's for the better. 

On 2/15/2024 at 1:05 PM, comix4fun said:

You're absolutely right about that, but I'm not seeing the younger crew as frequent or even regular movie goers. I certainly don't see them a lot in the movies I go to... usually more 40 plus attendees. With the exception of the higher wage earners, I think Hollywood is pricing their product out of reach of the 20 somethings that they seem to be serenading. 2c GOD BLESS ...

There's a whole LOT of baby boomers still kicking, with time and money for movies, depending on the thrust of the film, and if it appeals to them. Maybe with bigger cities, tons of customers are 20 somethings, I just don't see it a lot around here. 

On 2/15/2024 at 12:35 PM, jimjum12 said:

You're absolutely right about that, but I'm not seeing the younger crew as frequent or even regular movie goers. I certainly don't see them a lot in the movies I go to... usually more 40 plus attendees. With the exception of the higher wage earners, I think Hollywood is pricing their product out of reach of the 20 somethings that they seem to be serenading. 2c GOD BLESS ...

There's a whole LOT of baby boomers still kicking, with time and money for movies, depending on the thrust of the film, and if it appeals to them. Maybe with bigger cities, tons of customers are 20 somethings, I just don't see it a lot around here. 

Well, they certainly aren't buying physical copies of comics. Maybe digitally on a subscription, but they are killing print of all kinds. 
They don't seem to attend films in person, but consume it on a digital basis like mad. 

Maybe they'll cater to us in the future if they get economic projections telling them to value us more highly. I doubt it. They'll likely do what all advertisers do and cater to the biggest spending demo. 

I'm currently watching "For All Mankind" and it starts out set in the 60's. Fantastic, even sublime acting and exemplary character development all while staying to the way the country was back then with the treatment of women and minorities.

It can be done, and done extremely well. It's just a matter of if they want to expend the effort or not.

Again, the comics can provide the exact tone and direction for what will be successful. If the comics weren't successful over decades then it wouldn't be on their radar as a valuable property now...would it?

On 2/15/2024 at 11:52 AM, jimjum12 said:

I always liked the idea of a period piece set in the 60's, maybe a three film showpiece. I'm not going to waste my breath trying to explain to MCU why that would be such a "fantastic" direction, but they're far too dense and disconnected to digest it. Here lately they try to make everyone happy, just make good film, people. They keep insisting on changing everything and it just isn't resonating at the box office. They keep getting it wrong, appearing to insist that they are eventually going to figure out a way to make wrong right. GOD BLESS ...

Watchmen came to mind immediately and it's such a great film, you would think it would become a formula for some stories that took place in a different time 

On 2/15/2024 at 2:13 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

I'm currently watching "For All Mankind" and it starts out set in the 60's. Fantastic, even sublime acting and exemplary character development all while staying to the way the country was back then with the treatment of women and minorities.

It can be done, and done extremely well. It's just a matter of if they want to expend the effort or not.

Again, the comics can provide the exact tone and direction for what will be successful. If the comics weren't successful over decades then it wouldn't be on their radar as a valuable property now...would it?

This.

I've only seen a few episodes of For All Mankind but they were excellent - and if they can do the 60's for a TV show, they can certainly do it for an FF movie.

And as someone noted above, given the history of FF movies we've seen, this seems really risky for the cast at the current point in their careers - which actually gives me more faith in the script than usual.

Pascal and Kirby, at least, don't need this film.

I was just at Megacon a few weeks ago (has to be top 5 biggest cons of the year) and some seller had an entire line of “Pedro is my Daddy” merch and I swear I saw a zillion women walking around with one of their bags or prints or whatever. He’s the absolute perfect choice as far as having nerd cred, being cool enough guys like him AND appealing to the female demo like mad.

Another thing I saw that weekend was a TON of people wearing Hellfire Club shirts/cosplay because Joe Quinn was supposed to be there (he canceled last minute). I dunno what he can do with the Johnny role to make it interesting but besides MBB, I think he’s the one younger actor from ST people are keen on so that was great casting as well.

I don’t know much about the other two but at the very least Disney avoided their usual pandering by swapping the characters so at least everything is off on the right foot. If they can nail Doom, which is where the previous two versions totally blew it, everything should be alright. I’m not very enthused with any of the names I’ve seen thrown around so far. 

On 2/17/2024 at 8:03 AM, TupennyConan said:

This business about expanding demographics so as to outlive the aging fanboy is silly.

From IM1 to Endgame, Disney's MCU demographic expanded so far that it included all demographics. That was a remarkable achievement.

Post EG, we've all observed Disney intentionally demean and reject the aging fanboy demographic that created the original possibility for IM1's success. 

The result has been a destruction of their remarkable achievement. 

Today, no demographic wants to go to a Marvel movie. 

This post is on point. And it goes beyond losing the fanboy base. My nieces had female friends who were absolute MCU ride or die fans.  We are talking 12-17 demographic.  They have all moved on because the magic is gone.  Blame whatever you want, but for the kids, the draw and the magic is just gone.

On 2/17/2024 at 1:03 PM, TupennyConan said:

This business about expanding demographics so as to outlive the aging fanboy is silly.

From IM1 to Endgame, Disney's MCU demographic expanded so far that it included all demographics. That was a remarkable achievement.

Post EG, we've all observed Disney intentionally demean and reject the aging fanboy demographic that created the original possibility for IM1's success. 

The result has been a destruction of their remarkable achievement. 

Today, no demographic wants to go to a Marvel movie. 

The Phase description always seemed very corporate to begin with, but initially appropriate as it was a very successful, focused, skyward building project for the first three of those periods.  It was sad to have seen the incessant pounding away of the wrecking ball on that structure, thereafter.  

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 2/15/2024 at 5:44 PM, jimjum12 said:

It could work ... Summer of Love, Nam, Civil Rights movement, the Moon landing, birth of the computer age, nuclear trauma, strong focus on family, it was a crucible for greatness or despair ... but it was still up to each one of us. GOD BLESS ... 

... MCU, for some reason, is unable to grasp the connection between the FF and the times that gave birth to them. And Jack Kirby entering his second childhood at exactly the right time. :cloud9:

There is a precedent already for another good super-hero film to be set during this period; X-Men : First Class.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 2/17/2024 at 10:37 AM, Ken Aldred said:

There is a precedent already for another good super-hero film to be set during this period; X-Men : First Class.

I did like that, but the stellar focus on the characters, as opposed to the times, almost negated that. Several times I forgot that I was back in time. Still one of my faves in a franchise bursting with greatness. Lots of potential with that theme ... unfortunately, the media and the waken generation are trying to give that era a good erasing. MCU buys into that "squeaky wheel" thing without realizing that alienating customers that they already have, to attract those who may not even want their product, no matter how "everybody gets a trophy" they make it. Disingenuousity comes to mind, a common trait in failure. Trying to shove square pegs in round holes is SO corporate America. Serve good movies to the people who want them, make some money, and leave the social integrations to the new MCU franchises, and possibly a little less preachiness. I've been accommodating of diversity a lot longer than any corporate suit has, and I resent being "educated", to be honest.  For example, I have a TON of "black" friends, and most of them resent the gratuitous pandering that is designed to make them feel "included". GOD BLESS ....

.... and enough already with killing off the cool black guy in EVERY movie. At least MCU has outgrown that. 

Edited by jimjum12