• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ditko Spiderman Pin-up on Comiclink
3 3

175 posts in this topic

On 6/12/2024 at 4:25 PM, PhilipB2k17 said:

I spent a lot of time at Bechara’s table in lake Como Italy. Not only were European buyers not paying double, he had his art priced reasonably. 

If the EU buyers he’s talking about exist, they would have been at Lake Como

I did say on another thread that the European buyers exist, but they are just as price sensitive as Americans  

I can assure you Europeans are NOT paying double. They want a discount as much as buyers in the US do, despite what other dealers might make you think.

Burkey showed off the Spidey pinup on Dueling Dealers tonight. I’m not sure if it was common knowledge that he was the winner, but it makes sense. 

On 6/19/2024 at 10:00 PM, F For Fake said:

Burkey showed off the Spidey pinup on Dueling Dealers tonight. I’m not sure if it was common knowledge that he was the winner, but it makes sense. 

https://www.youtube.com/live/Ln68rXt4XOU

About 32 minutes in.  Also, he pulled off some tape at the bottom which revealed some writing.

On 6/20/2024 at 10:03 AM, Ecclectica said:

So, if I understand well (or if I grossly caricature), this is what we would call a change of direction.
Then, MB purchased 10 John Romita ASM pages instead of buying 1 ASM Ditko.
Now, he sells 10 John Romita ASM pages to buy 1 ASM Ditko.

I would imagine that it came down to the historical usage of the art? I believe that pose is on a bunch of stuff and potentially widely recognized (I just saw a vintage tshirt transfer at my LCS this week of the same art). As an owner of a lot of OA that is unrecognized, I'd probably sell off 10 pieces for one widely recognized one, too.

On 6/20/2024 at 6:07 PM, Dr. Balls said:

As an owner of a lot of OA that is unrecognized, I'd probably sell off 10 pieces for one widely recognized one, too.

You're probably right. Not sure I would do the the same thing myself, but that's probably only my deeply rooted reluctance to sell.

On 6/20/2024 at 12:03 PM, Ecclectica said:

So, if I understand well (or if I grossly caricature), this is what we would call a change of direction.
Then, MB purchased 10 John Romita ASM pages instead of buying 1 ASM Ditko.
Now, he sells 10 John Romita ASM pages to buy 1 ASM Ditko.

I will say..... I was never ever going to bid over 250 for this...Until the list here figured out this WAS the drawn art used for the 6 foot poster....... as well as dozens of other Spider-Man memorabilia throughout the 1960s.........

but i do have another real serious question for all of the Spidey Sleuths out there.... WHEN EXACTLY WAS THIS ART DRAWN?

It's clearly EARLY Ditko Spidey style with the pen and ink and well before he started using brush!

So could this be  late 63 through1964? 

clearly to me this is before Ditko started using brush in 1965.

On 6/23/2024 at 10:21 AM, romitaman said:

I will say..... I was never ever going to bid over 250 for this...Until the list here figured out this WAS the drawn art used for the 6 foot poster....... as well as dozens of other Spider-Man memorabilia throughout the 1960s.........

but i do have another real serious question for all of the Spidey Sleuths out there.... WHEN EXACTLY WAS THIS ART DRAWN?

It's clearly EARLY Ditko Spidey style with the pen and ink and well before he started using brush!

So could this be  late 63 through1964? 

clearly to me this is before Ditko started using brush in 1965.

Might be a difficult one to pinpoint exactly, Mike.  My best guess would be 1964.

If you can date when the various (altered) reproductions began to see print (posters, merchandise, etc.), you can possibly determine a likely timescale from (slighly . . . maybe by several months) before such things began to appear . . . though it could have been held in inventory for longer?  Either way, it's a beautiful piece of standalone artwork.

I am glad this piece found a proper and deserving home.  I think it is one of the most satisfying and significant comic pages to come out of hiding….ever!   And thanks to Romitaman for sharing the details.

Now about those early FF covers….we are all hoping the decades of rumors are true…that they exist.

Mark King

On 6/25/2024 at 1:30 PM, mking78 said:

I am glad this piece found a proper and deserving home.  I think it is one of the most satisfying and significant comic pages to come out of hiding….ever!   And thanks to Romitaman for sharing the details.

Now about those early FF covers….we are all hoping the decades of rumors are true…that they exist.

Mark King

Intel I've received from at least two sources says that the FF #48 cover exists. Not that I would ever be able to afford it.