• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Police Comics 1 CGC 8.5 at auction on Comiclink
1 1

48 posts in this topic

On 2/25/2024 at 12:03 AM, lou_fine said:

Willing to place a friendly wager with you that it goes for more than your high guess of $25K, especially since it is the 3rd highest graded copy ar CGC 8.5 and behind only the Church and the Windy City pedigree copies.  Especially since this CGC 4.0 graded copy was able to fetch $18K with another whopping 26 copies in higher graded condition at the time of sale in late 2022:  :popcorn:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/police-comics-1-quality-1941-cgc-vg-40-white-pages/a/7335-88095.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Police Comics #1 (Quality, 1941) CGC VG 4.0 White pages....

That sale seems like an outlier. I would never value any book based on a single very high or very low sale.

On 2/25/2024 at 4:07 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

That sale seems like an outlier. I would never value any book based on a single very high or very low sale.

Quite possibly, but if it's an outlier than it's probably part of the entire Covid pandemic bubble that took place as this one with a similar type "glue" notation on the spine of the cover also sold for an equally astounding multiple to condition guide as pictured on the previous page:  hm  (shrug)

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/police-comics-1-quality-1941-cgc-gd-25-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/122152-17699.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Police Comics #1 (Quality, 1941) CGC GD+ 2.5 Cream to off-white pages....

With 36 higher graded copies at the time, this CGC 2.5 with dried glue on the spine still managed to sell for $11,400 or an equally stunning 7.6X condition guide value in December of 2021 during the peak of the pandemic bubble, so it will definitely be interesting to see where this 3rd highest CGC 8.5 graded copy finishes up at in four short days from now.  :popcorn:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

On 2/24/2024 at 3:51 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

There are plenty of blue-label books out there with glue and color touch on the spine.

On 2/24/2024 at 7:50 AM, Robot Man said:

They should never be in a blue slab no matter how minor. 

I guess this one here didn't pass muster as there must be a difference between "very minor" and "small" when it comes to color touch and glue: hm

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/blue-beetle-50-fox-features-syndicate-1947-cgc-apparent-fn-vf-70-slight-a-off-white-to-white-pages/a/122409-17094.s#

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Blue Beetle #50 (Fox Features Syndicate, 1947) CGC Apparent FN/VF 7.0 Slight (A) Off-white to white pages....

Still managed to fetch $1,080 or some 1.55X Unrestored condition guide value just a few minutes ago in Heritage's Sunday auction.  Good to see that there seems to be far less of a stigma attached to the PLOD books with Slight Resto now as compared to when CGC first started up some 20 plus years ago.  (thumbsu  :applause: 

On 2/25/2024 at 5:03 PM, lou_fine said:

I guess this one here didn't pass muster as there must be a difference between "very minor" and "small" when it comes to color touch and glue: hm

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/blue-beetle-50-fox-features-syndicate-1947-cgc-apparent-fn-vf-70-slight-a-off-white-to-white-pages/a/122409-17094.s#

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Blue Beetle #50 (Fox Features Syndicate, 1947) CGC Apparent FN/VF 7.0 Slight (A) Off-white to white pages....

Still managed to fetch $1,080 or some 1.55X Unrestored condition guide value just a few minutes ago in Heritage's Sunday auction.  Good to see that there seems to be far less of a stigma attached to the PLOD books with Slight Resto now as compared to when CGC first started up some 20 plus years ago.  (thumbsu  :applause: 

Indeed. I think the Jon Berk collection really changed a lot of perception about restored or “conserved” books. That, and the crazy prices many books have risen to. Most people are priced out on many books in a blue label but still just might be able to snag a purple label. But even this is fading fast. 

People forget this is the first appearance of both plastic man AND phantom lady. According to recent sales and trends on this book, I see this selling for $50k+ this week, and 75k+ in the next few years, maybe 6 figures after the reboot (hollywood insider tip for you all).

On 2/26/2024 at 8:45 AM, Straw-Man said:

still blue today.

If you are waiting for the color purple, I hope you are super patient because it's going to be a long and endless wait is all I can tell you. lol :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

On 2/26/2024 at 2:28 PM, mrmovies said:

People forget this is the first appearance of both plastic man AND phantom lady. According to recent sales and trends on this book, I see this selling for $50k+ this week, and 75k+ in the next few years, maybe 6 figures after the reboot (hollywood insider tip for you all).

Welcome to the boards here, but you really DO need to be less ambivalent and more decisive with your posts here, as it sounds like you are trying to disagree with @jimbo_7071's guesstimate of a max of only $20K to $25K for this copy of Police Comics 1.  lol

On 2/26/2024 at 5:28 PM, mrmovies said:

Are you the consignor?:baiting:

On 2/26/2024 at 5:21 PM, jimbo_7071 said:
On 2/26/2024 at 2:28 PM, mrmovies said:

I see this selling for $50k+ this week, and 75k+ in the next few years, maybe 6 figures after the reboot (hollywood insider tip for you all).

Are you the consignor?:baiting:

Or just maybe he's planning to be the consignor in the next few years AFTER the reboot.  :flipbait:   lol

On 2/26/2024 at 5:28 PM, mrmovies said:

I'd put money on $40k+ but I don't see this hitting the $50,000 mark based on some of the other GA sales in this auction so far.  

On 2/28/2024 at 1:21 PM, thedagger said:

I'd put money on $40k+ but I don't see this hitting the $50,000 mark based on some of the other GA sales in this auction so far.  

Another possible factor might be the thinking by many that CL is not necessarily the best comic book auction platform when it comes to your higher end GA books as there are a couple of other auction houses out there that have a strong GA clientale.  hm  (shrug)

On 2/25/2024 at 12:03 AM, lou_fine said:

Willing to place a friendly wager with you that it goes for more than your high guess of $25K, especially since it is the 3rd highest graded copy ar CGC 8.5 and behind only the Church and the Windy City pedigree copies.  Especially since this CGC 4.0 graded copy was able to fetch $18K with another whopping 26 copies in higher graded condition at the time of sale in late 2022:  :popcorn:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/police-comics-1-quality-1941-cgc-vg-40-white-pages/a/7335-88095.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Police Comics #1 (Quality, 1941) CGC VG 4.0 White pages....

Congrats on your prediction!

On 2/24/2024 at 6:33 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

My guess is $20—$25K on both books, but it's exactly that—a guess. It all depends on who's bidding on a particular day.

A clear reminder why I never bother to bid in CL auctions because you usually don't have the time to make a rational decision if you want to win because there are competing bidders out there throwing last second Hail Mary bids, as this copy of Police Comics 1 went from $28,250 all the way up to a winning bid of $40K in the LAST 4 SECONDS of the auction:   :frown:

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/history.asp?item=1751205&back=%2Fauctions%2Fitem.asp%3Fback%3D%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dpolice%2Bcomics%2B1%26ItemType%3DCB%26CGC%3DYES%26CBCS%3DYES%23Item_1751205%26id%3D1751205%26itemType%3D0

I much prefer the CC auction format with the 3-minute extended bidding format whereby you have the actual time to rationalize whether you should hit the next bid increment or not.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

On 2/29/2024 at 10:58 PM, szav said:

Their new pictureless and stock images one week into the auction format adds some genuine excitement and mystery about what you'll be getting too.

image.png.ed5fa09a31f5c9fd704ff06aa647934e.png

Yeah. Not a big fan. Also, I've heard some truly horrible things about the folks over at CC. Things I wish I could forget. 

On 2/29/2024 at 8:30 PM, lou_fine said:

A clear reminder why I never bother to bid in CL auctions because you usually don't have the time to make a rational decision if you want to win because there are competing bidders out there throwing last second Hail Mary bids, as this copy of Police Comics 1 went from $28,250 all the way up to a winning bid of $40K in the LAST 4 SECONDS of the auction:   :frown:

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/history.asp?item=1751205&back=%2Fauctions%2Fitem.asp%3Fback%3D%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dpolice%2Bcomics%2B1%26ItemType%3DCB%26CGC%3DYES%26CBCS%3DYES%23Item_1751205%26id%3D1751205%26itemType%3D0

I much prefer the CC auction format with the 3-minute extended bidding format whereby you have the actual time to rationalize whether you should hit the next bid increment or not.  (thumbsu

Honestly, I expected a greater jump. Watched the auction close and when it ended at 40 I had to rub my eyes to make sure I was reading it right. Took a few minutes for it to settle in. Four zero. Wow. Surprised this didn't break 50, but have no doubt the price will continue to rise.  

On 2/29/2024 at 10:28 PM, mrmovies said:

Yeah. Not a big fan. Also, I've heard some truly horrible things about the folks over at CC. Things I wish I could forget. 

You are among friends. Share what you heard. We promise it won't go any further than here.

Edited by MrBedrock

On 2/29/2024 at 8:30 PM, mrmovies said:

Honestly, I expected a greater jump. Watched the auction close and when it ended at 40 I had to rub my eyes to make sure I was reading it right. Took a few minutes for it to settle in. Four zero. Wow. Surprised this didn't break 50, but have no doubt the price will continue to rise.  

Well, it's quite possible that it might just have gone higher if they hadb using the CC 3-minute extended bidding format because the jump was from only the $28K price range with just a few last seconds left and go a certain percentage higher from that point.  hm  (shrug)

On 3/1/2024 at 3:30 PM, szav said:

Personally I think 40k for that copy is an amazing result.  Hard to believe anyone would think it's disappointing.  

Whoever was the winner of this, the last that I recall 'bargain' priced copy, is probably feeling great right now.  

image.png.627f4cf1524d4f5e933201a81b146e64.png

Well, I hope you do realize that Billy Wright auction took place way back in 2017 which is almost like a few lifetimes ago in this hyper red hot pandemic and crypto driven GA comic book marketplace of ours wich we have experienced during the past few years.  hm

Especially if you are talking about GA keys, classic covers, or HTF rare GA books that seldom come to market.  :luhv: