• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Much Does This Stamp Knock off Of The Grade of This Book
3 3

21 posts in this topic

If high grade - and it looks to be - the book will get a green label qualified grade. So if the book is otherwise 9.8, the numeric grade would be 9.8. But with a green label that says "Qualified" . You can find CGC graded examples of this and similar books (say FCD Umbrella Academy) for sale on eBay.

No, it cannot be cleaned off.

On 2/24/2024 at 3:45 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

Since the white panel is expressly designed to take a store stamp, why on earth would you want to clean it off? It's performing it's function. 

And further, I'm surprised CGC green labels this for a store stamp. That is what the box is intended for. How is it any different than a date stamp, which CGC allows up to 9.8 if it is "small and unobtrusive," according to the CGC Guide to Grading Comics. I'd argue that if the stamp is neatly applied and in the area intended for the stamp, it meets that qualification. (shrug)

On 2/24/2024 at 12:47 PM, joeypost said:

I could see if it was a sticker. Then yes, a green label would be warranted. This, as many have already pointed out, is a date stamp and IMO should garner a blue label. 

agreed.

If this is the stance, then all the Bethlehem pedigree books need to be qualified as an example.

Bethlehem pedigree Witches Tall 11 back.jpg

On 2/24/2024 at 4:36 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

There's just no logical reason this is a green label. What's the difference between that and a date stamp???

I think it is because tons of these FCBD books are in the wild without store stamps.  CGC chose to differentiate between stamped and non-stamped.

In this case, the manufacturer provided the white box just so the store could put its information on these free books they were distributing.  The more I think about it, the more insane it is to punish a book for a stamp the publishers wanted stores to fill in. 

On 2/24/2024 at 1:39 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

Hesitating to get this graded if it's going to get a green label. it's a pretty high grade copy and I got it for a REALLY good deal.

Although I'm not your "typical" modern collector, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a green label book.  I have several.  The problem here lies with the label devaluing the book for a majority of collectors.  Is your intent to re-sell it?  If so, perhaps you shouldn't grade it with CGC.

On 2/25/2024 at 11:38 AM, Yorick said:

Although I'm not your "typical" modern collector, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a green label book.  I have several.  The problem here lies with the label devaluing the book for a majority of collectors.  Is your intent to re-sell it?  If so, perhaps you shouldn't grade it with CGC.

I was thinking the same thing.

On 2/25/2024 at 9:43 AM, seanfingh said:

I think it is because tons of these FCBD books are in the wild without store stamps.  CGC chose to differentiate between stamped and non-stamped.

One could argue that there are tons of books without date stamps, yet they are not differentiated from books with them at the 9.8 grade level.

If they wanted to be consistent, the simple answer is that the FCBD stamps are too large and "not unobtrusive," so they would max out at Blue Label 9.4 or 9.6.  This would at least align them consistently with date stamps in terms of Blue versus GLOD.