• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does the date of the signature matter??
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I’m a copper head.  I stopped collecting in the late 90’s then picked the hobby up again in 2007.  There were two books which dragged me back into the hobby.  Primarily due to the cover art: New Avengers #27, and Red Sonja #13 (Dynamite).

I loved the cover of New Avengers, and recently discovered CGC, along with the signature series program.  I got the book signed in 2009 by cover artist Lenin Yu.  Subsequently, the whole Hawkeye /Ronin hype showed up.  All of a sudden, the book picked up some steam (which later died out).  I remember when my book was the only signature series book on the census in a 9.8.  Now, there are 16.  No doubt due to the Endgame hype.  

Question: does the date of signature have any meaning to you as a signature collector?  Do you feel the need to have the earliest signed copy of a book?

BTW: I believe my copy is the earliest signature, so i challenge anyone to post an earlier signature.

IMG_4410.thumb.jpeg.701311f71734a37f4247773e207dd5b1.jpeg

In the scenario you are presenting, no it doesn't mean a thing to me, but let me give you another way to look at it. Say you collect your birth month books and you want the signer to sign on your birthday to mark the occasion. I've done this several times over the years and have signatures from Neal Adams, Stan Lee, and others that were signed at conventions on my birthdate. These are literally some of my favorite books just because of the date they were signed. :)

I was looking at two books signed by Joe Simon.  I chose the one dated close to his death as it would have been one of the last books he signed. I wouldn't pay extra for it.

I am sure there are some premiums for it, like books signed by Stan on his birthday but overall no one cares.

I was lucky enough to get a Harbinger newsstand book signed by Josh Dysart a couple days after the book hit store shelves at a very small convention on either a Friday or Saturday and it was the first CGC signature of that book for almost a month. Eventually; I thought about selling it but not even the Valiant guys cared and they care about the craziest of minutia.xD

This is not exactly the same thing, but I think the market, at some point will differentiate between very clean sigs and sloppy or age-affected sigs.  The best example is Stan Lee. Most of his early sigs are clean and classic. As he got older, he moved into the phase where they looked like "Steadle" and then finally, "SBLOB."  So Stan's earlier sigs may do better, but it will be because they are cleaner.

On 2/28/2024 at 7:52 PM, Comixroc said:

Question: does the date of signature have any meaning to you as a signature collector?  Do you feel the need to have the earliest signed copy of a book?

Not to me...I never even look at the date it was signed until its in hand.