• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question regarding comic books that have been bound in to hardcover volumes.
2 2

14 posts in this topic

I have a chance to purchase these and hoping to get approximate value on them. I haven't really seen "like items" on ebay

These are all Marvel silver age, early issues of FF, X-Men, ASM, etc. In very nice condition too!

Thanks all!

IMG_1140..jpg

IMG_1946.jpg

IMG_1944.jpg

IMG_1943.jpg

IMG_1941.jpg

They are nice to own, but it is important to note that almost all bound books have been trimmed, which severely damages their value. 

These are not that common so prices are all over the place.  

Edited by shadroch

On 3/1/2024 at 9:20 AM, shadroch said:

They are nice to own, but it is important to note that almost all bound books have been trimmed, which severely damages their value. 

These are not that common so prices are all over the place.  

Good to know, I didn't think about the trimming aspect.

Trying to come up with a fair price to offer him that's equitable for both of us.

Have a look at the top of the spine to see if they have been sewn in as complete comics or have been separated on the spine to remove ad pages etc. The former is obviously better and more valuable imho but will likely still have glue (pva) along outside of the spine. Very cool books!

On 3/1/2024 at 9:44 AM, Mr Sneeze said:

Have a look at the top of the spine to see if they have been sewn in as complete comics or have been separated on the spine to remove ad pages etc. The former is obviously better and more valuable imho but will likely still have glue (pva) along outside of the spine. Very cool books!

Here's what I able to find out:

No pages are missing from what I can tell. There's ads, letter columns, etc. What it looks like to me is the staple has been cut off and the pages glued in. 

730999163.jpg

730999403.jpg

Looks like the full content is there which is a plus. I agree, it’s a glued binding. There are probably some cords glued in across the spines as well which is good in terms of a functional binding and consistent with cost effective book binding. I imagine you can’t see the centre fold without cracking the spine so don’t try. Given the trimming these books are destroyed as individual comics but awesome as they are. In any valuation don’t consider these comics to be salvageable in any meaningful way. That said, they are awesome!

I picked up a bound volume of Worlds Finest from 1966/67 for around $40 in 2021, just as a price point.  I think I overpaid, but it contained books from a time period I'm fond of. 

Those are pretty cool but it makes me sad they destroyed the comics to make them. I’d buy something like that for the historical value but if they tried to price it even a fraction of what the actual issues go for I’d walk away. Unfortunately they’re not the comics anymore so they aren’t worth (to me, at least) what the unblemished issues are. 

Thanks, I'm leaning that way myself. Apparently Heritage grades these as 4.0 and prices them as such.

On 3/1/2024 at 1:54 PM, Cman429 said:

Those are pretty cool but it makes me sad they destroyed the comics to make them. I’d buy something like that for the historical value but if they tried to price it even a fraction of what the actual issues go for I’d walk away. Unfortunately they’re not the comics anymore so they aren’t worth (to me, at least) what the unblemished issues are. 

On 3/1/2024 at 9:16 AM, lostboys said:

Id probably pay double the price of a current omnibus but im guessing out loud.  (shrug)

This is where I'm at, probably 2x-3x an omnibus.  But if the conditions is REAAALLLY nice maybe more.