• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC Sketch Cover Ideas?

8 posts in this topic

I've got a couple blank cover DC books I'm going to have someone do a sketch on (not a famous artist; it's a guy I've bought a couple sketch covers from in the past).  The books are:  Action Comics #1000 and Grayson #1.  The obvious choices would be Superman and Grayson respectively, but I thought I'd throw it out to you all to see if there are other cool suggestions.

I'll probably have to send the books off to him in about 3 weeks so they're done in time for me to pick them up at the Motor City Comic Con and get them submitted for grading/slabbing.

Please offer up any suggestions!

I'm also looking to see if I can get my hands on a couple Marvel books for him to do as well (not sure I currently have any Marvel blank covers).

I'd Google Frank Cho if you want some ideas of comedy. Adam Hughes for surprise face, Campbell for freckles, and Liefeld for pockets or pouches.

I've often wondered what I'd do so sincerely interested in responses and finished product ^^

Problem is, the amount of money it would take to do anything someone elaborate suggests, would almost be the cost of a commission type piece, well, for a main artist to make it worth it.

I don't swim in those waters, hence my Google suggestions. Many niches out there for art whether it be gga or negative space images. :cheers:

This might be a better question to ask in "The Signature Room" since the people in there are into sketch covers. You can also join sketch cover Facebook groups to get an idea of what others have done on those covers.

It is tough to say what to get on those covers because you are the one that will have it in your collection (unless your thought is to flip them). Using the front and back cover could make a larger scene happen on the cover. The other idea is to have a sketch done with important milestones in Action Comics and Grayson. For example the death of Grayson or marriage of Superman and Lois Lane.

On 3/5/2024 at 9:21 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'd Google Frank Cho if you want some ideas of comedy. Adam Hughes for surprise face, Campbell for freckles, and Liefeld for pockets or pouches.

Frank Cho is a treasure. Great sense of humor. That's a guy I'd love to hang out with. Unfortunately the day I met him he was rather grumpy, but I hear he gets that way sometimes at cons. As far as artwork...damn, the guy is mega-talented.