• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comiclink
4 4

153 posts in this topic

I'm only a buyer, I've never sold, but I love ComicLink.  If you can't be bothered to be aware of when a piece is coming up for auction I don't think you care too much about that art.  Also, I might be mistaken, but isn't the threshold for Heritage like $5,000 in total? There has to be an alternative then for those who want to trim or liquidate their collection and can't reach that total, ComicLink fills that niche, and it's not going to be Nerdcrawler or Connectible anytime soon.  There are far less eyes there than ComicLink, I'm quite sure.

On 3/11/2024 at 8:58 AM, Sean- said:

If you can't be bothered to be aware of when a piece is coming up for auction I don't think you care too much about that art.

But that's just it -- not everyone who buys OA lives and breathes the hobby on a daily basis, there are many who buy it simply because it is another option for their disposable income. Fans of comics, comic related films, gaming of all kinds, Star Wars, D&D, on and on and on, they all contain people who on the spur of the moment might buy OA without any knowledge of the hobby  (I was a comics fan who bought my first page before I knew comicart-l or OA shows or fans even existed, heck I had no idea of OA values at the time). HA recognizes this and uses a tool which helps cuts through the noise to reach that wider client base. CL, on the other hand, is content to exist in the comics/OA-only sphere, catering to hardcore fans -- which goes a long way to explaining why their auction results often fall short.

On 3/11/2024 at 9:42 AM, KirbyCollector said:

But that's just it -- not everyone who buys OA lives and breathes the hobby on a daily basis, there are many who buy it simply because it is another option for their disposable income. Fans of comics, comic related films, gaming of all kinds, Star Wars, D&D, on and on and on, they all contain people who on the spur of the moment might buy OA without any knowledge of the hobby  (I was a comics fan who bought my first page before I knew comicart-l or OA shows or fans even existed, heck I had no idea of OA values at the time). HA recognizes this and uses a tool which helps cuts through the noise to reach that wider client base. CL, on the other hand, is content to exist in the comics/OA-only sphere, catering to hardcore fans -- which goes a long way to explaining why their auction results often fall short.

So, in other words, people who aren’t that dedicated to the hobby, but who have money or want to make money, should be used to help keep prices high? Like (some) dealers? While that isn’t what you meant, that is what it boils down to.

You’ve now given me a reason to buy more from Clink. Personally, I like to see people who really want a piece, get it.

Posted (edited)
On 3/11/2024 at 10:31 AM, Rick2you2 said:

So, in other words, people who aren’t that dedicated to the hobby, but who have money or want to make money, should be used to help keep prices high? Like (some) dealers? While that isn’t what you meant, that is what it boils down to.

You’ve now given me a reason to buy more from Clink. Personally, I like to see people who really want a piece, get it.

That is not what I said or meant, at all. People enter this hobby every day via indirect paths... My daughter's boyfriend is a gamer, one day he was at the house when I had a portfolio out. He (20 y.o.) had zero idea comic art existed, but thought it was incredibly cool, so much so he started asking about prices and considered entering the hobby. Should I have dissuaded him because he isn't a "pure" fan, according to some holier than thou standard? No. So why should we care who HA markets and sells to? In the end, it is simply money.

Edited by KirbyCollector

On 3/11/2024 at 2:21 PM, KirbyCollector said:

You'd be shocked at the effect a portfolio with 100K worth of art can have on someone young

Speaking from experience, make sure your art is locked up securely when you are not around. I lost some valuable comics to one of my daughter's "boyfriends." 

On 3/9/2024 at 7:24 PM, tth2 said:

The starting point for any negotiation should be 0% seller fee.  

Scuttlebut I've heard is HA is getting tougher in these negotiations, & I believe they've recently doubled the minimum consignment value from 5k to 10k (?). All which suggests they are not hurting for merchandise.

On 3/11/2024 at 7:05 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

I disagree, all things being equal, clinks platform is a constant. It has always sucked and will continue to suck. The only other variable is the market. Clink may just be the canary in the coal mine that is showing the weakness of the hobby in general. The dealers that are protection bidding EVERYTHING on HA when they aren't winning to mark up 40% to put on their site can't spend all their free time propping up every auction, so the more friction a crappy UI an auction house has, they are the first to lose out on those extra bids that would have bumped things another 25% at least. 

The competition from auction houses has increased, and everyone else is using a newer and better platform, while continuing to improve.  Clink needs to do something to keep up, or they will continue to slip further and further down the hierarchy. 

On 3/11/2024 at 11:08 AM, KirbyCollector said:

That is not what I said or meant, at all. People enter this hobby every day via indirect paths... My daughter's boyfriend is a gamer, one day he was at the house when I had a portfolio out. He (20 y.o.) had zero idea comic art existed, but thought it was incredibly cool, so much so he started asking about prices and considered entering the hobby. Should I have dissuaded him because he isn't a "pure" fan, according to some holier than thou standard? No. So why should we care who HA markets and sells to? In the end, it is simply money.

No, you should not have dissuaded him, but I think one of the most important aspects of bidding is to maintain a laser-like focus on the target to see if you might win, or whether the price is going too high.  And moreover, he should be aware of the different prices this stuff can sell for. At 20, unless he is rich, he should target the lower end or commissions. Otherwise, he will lose interest fast. No use having him disappointed when his $100 bid on an early FF piece doesn’t even survive the tracking bid stage. My ire is directed at those who use HA to create price supports or create a market because they happen to have similar pieces, and to some extent, HA’s practices which are good for sellers  but not for the overall market (where I buy). And yes, I do buy from HA; they do a great job—selling.

On 3/11/2024 at 12:40 PM, drdroom said:

Scuttlebut I've heard is HA is getting tougher in these negotiations, & I believe they've recently doubled the minimum consignment value from 5k to 10k (?). All which suggests they are not hurting for merchandise.

Is there really any negotiation though? Isn't it just a function of the value of your total consignment?

One may be an awesome negotiator, but if the items are only worth the minimum (be it $5K or $10K). I don't think they will move from their list prices. Your only leverage is that you will chose another auction house. And again, at $10K or so, I don't think they will care.

Malvin

On 3/12/2024 at 12:32 AM, MAR1979 said:

Hobbies which rely on Protection Bidding and or Spur of the Moment Impulse Buys, are those that likely lack long term viability.

I agree. 

Could you tell that to all of the Byrne X-Men and Miller DD page owners out there?

On 3/12/2024 at 7:12 AM, malvin said:
On 3/12/2024 at 3:40 AM, drdroom said:

Is there really any negotiation though? Isn't it just a function of the value of your total consignment?

One may be an awesome negotiator, but if the items are only worth the minimum (be it $5K or $10K). I don't think they will move from their list prices. Your only leverage is that you will chose another auction house. And again, at $10K or so, I don't think they will care.

Malvin

I get the impression that some people don't even try to negotiate, because it doesn't occur to them that it's even an option.  

On 3/11/2024 at 4:12 PM, malvin said:

Malvin

Yep. You've got to bring more value. There might be some existing relationship advantages--maybe?

On 3/12/2024 at 1:15 PM, tth2 said:

I get the impression that some people don't even try to negotiate, because it doesn't occur to them that it's even an option.  

A lot of folks don’t bring enough dollar value to the table to make it worthwhile to HA.  Given the vast increase in the number of OA auctions Heritage has been running over the past 3 years, there is no shortage of consignors/consignments headed their way, so they have become more selective with who gets discounts, the discount/$consignment dollar ratio, and increased lot values for their Signature and International auctions.

Conversely, Clink should be offering discounts to consignors who are still willing to roll the dice with them

On 3/12/2024 at 1:15 PM, tth2 said:

The average person is awful at sales. Just look at how bad selling on Facebook or ebay is and how people have no idea what they're doing. 

On 3/13/2024 at 3:23 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:
On 3/13/2024 at 1:15 AM, tth2 said:

A lot of folks don’t bring enough dollar value to the table to make it worthwhile to HA.  Given the vast increase in the number of OA auctions Heritage has been running over the past 3 years, there is no shortage of consignors/consignments headed their way, so they have become more selective with who gets discounts, the discount/$consignment dollar ratio, and increased lot values for their Signature and International auctions.

I say nothing ventured, nothing gained. 

I just don't see the point of negotiating against one's self and not even asking Heritage the question because you've already convinced yourself that they'll say "No". If one asks Heritage to reduce their fees, the worst thing that can happen is that they say "No". 

Unless one has a pathological fear of rejection, what's the harm in trying?  It's not like they're going to blacklist you or send thugs to beat you up for having the temerity to ask.