• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Invest 1k or more on a raw book, is it a thing?
1 1

28 posts in this topic

Did you have already made it?

Is it a thing for you or its total madness?

On 3/7/2024 at 9:10 PM, Dr. Balls said:

As much as people say "Comic books are not an investment" we all do it at some point, some more than others. I did the "comic book investing" thing, and my take-away was that I began losing the enjoyment of collecting by constantly assigning a value to every book I owned.

"This is worth X!"

"This is totally going to gain in value!"

I just got tired of looking at it like that. For others, it's fine - no judgment here. I just wanted more emotional enjoyment out of my collection, rather than thinking of it as something I would sell someday when I crossed the invisible threshold of "profit".

I actually sold most of my collection because I was done looking at it in that way and I wasn't even reading the books. I decided to just have one thing I collect, and that was art. Because I buy the art to enjoy it on my wall. Is it an investment? I don't even care. It'll likely be on my wall so long it won't matter if I sell a $1000 piece for $100 20 years from now. I won't care, because I'll just be enjoying having it.

It was not the question, i asked if it was a sure thing to spend a great ammount on a non graded copy for expensive books

On 3/7/2024 at 1:48 PM, BA773 said:

It was not the question, i asked if it was a sure thing to spend a great ammount on a non graded copy for expensive books

I apologize, I kind of figured that might have been implied. I’ve purchased quite a few $1000 books for the concept of “investing” believing that it was a sure thing.

in the end, it didn’t really matter to me if it was a sure thing, sometimes it was, sometimes it wasn’t - it’s always a gamble. I found that it wasn’t enjoyable to look at a $1000 book from the perspective of “investment”.

Nothing is guaranteed to be a sure thing. I will buy it because I like it and can afford it. For investment purposes, there are better ways to spend $1000.

Edited by Dr. Balls

I've paid 1k in Canadian dollars for a raw book several times, but all of them were in-person sales. The most common books I bought in this price range were Hulk 181s and GSX 1s. I once tried to get a raw Fantastic Four 1 for several thousand but the seller was addicted to those comic lottery (i.e. gambling) sites and insisted on taking it there instead. 

So yeah, it is a thing. 

I think in general it depends how much of an expert you are on the topic.  If you think you are an expert, then just treat it like a real investment and use whatever expert criteria you have to measure the specific situation.  If you do not think you are an expert, then take the steps to become an expert if you have interest.  Or pay an expert to help you make better decisions.

The above can really be applied to most things that folks consider investing in.

Sure, I would do it.  Like Shad said, it would need to be from a trusted seller.  I wouldn’t take a chance on eBay or IG (unless it was an in-person meet up).

That said, I think the most I’ve ever spent on a raw book was $800. That was for an FF5 many years ago.  I had it graded afterwards and it came back a 4.0.  I still have the book, so I think I did alright.

On 3/8/2024 at 2:46 PM, lizards2 said:

Investing in a slabbed book is not a sure thing either. :eyeroll:

Proven time and time again by film speculation.

On 3/8/2024 at 9:54 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Plus, you never know what you have until you crack it out. If a slab has the first two numbers 43, I walk on by. We seem to be currently in the Drek Ages of CGC grading.

On 08/03/2024 at 18:54, Ken Aldred said:

Again it was not a question about stupid spec or something... it was only on the risk to buy a book that you finally decide to send to cgc a day and get it back with a beautiful PURPLE LABEL :tonofbricks:

Posted (edited)
On 3/8/2024 at 7:29 PM, lizards2 said:

Plus, you never know what you have until you crack it out. If a slab has the first two numbers 43, I walk on by. We seem to be currently in the Drek Ages of CGC grading.

What about this famous 43? What does it mean lol

Edited by BA773

On 3/8/2024 at 6:30 PM, BA773 said:

Again it was not a question about stupid spec or something... it was only on the risk to buy a book that you finally decide to send to cgc a day and get it back with a beautiful PURPLE LABEL :tonofbricks:

I apologise.

There are so many better ways to make money with the time it takes for you to hypothetically profit off of comic appreciation that it doesn't really make sense to bother flipping high value comics unless it's precisely the nature of your business (e.g. maybe you run a pawn shop or collectibles business, etc.). Opportunity cost is something people often overlook.

It really only makes sense if you inherited some comic from your family or relative for little to nothing and have no use for it and want to sell it to help pay off some monthly utility bills.

Thus, unless you're strictly buying it because you genuinely want to collect it, trying to buy for the sake of resale is most likely going to disappoint you, and make you pull your hair out as you wait months to years for miniscule returns. And the last thing you want is a potential cash crunch from buying comics as illiquid assets. @Dr. Balls has hit it right on the nail.

Consider watching a show like Antiques Roadshow, and you'll see what I mean. People bring in antiques that are 50-100 years old or older, and although they might sell for thousands to tens of thousands now, it took basically their lifetime (and probably the lifetimes of their parents and/or grandparents) just to appreciate to that price. By no means a very great return on investment, but a nice payday if they were just things lying around in your attic/basement for ages collecting dust.

Edited by stormflora

On 3/8/2024 at 10:35 AM, BA773 said:

What about this famous 43? What does it mean lol

the verification #

Posted (edited)
On 3/8/2024 at 7:43 PM, stormflora said:

There are so many better ways to make money with the time it takes for you to hypothetically profit off of comic appreciation that it doesn't really make sense to bother flipping high value comics unless it's precisely the nature of your business (e.g. maybe you run a pawn shop or collectibles business, etc.). Opportunity cost is something people often overlook.

It really only makes sense if you inherited some comic from your family or relative for little to nothing and have no use for it and want to sell it to help pay off some monthly utility bills.

Thus, unless you're strictly buying it because you genuinely want to collect it, trying to buy for the sake of resale is most likely going to disappoint you, and make you pull your hair out as you wait months to years for miniscule returns. And the last thing you want is a potential cash crunch from buying comics as illiquid assets. @Dr. Balls has hit it right on the nail.

Consider watching a show like Antiques Roadshow, and you'll see what I mean. People bring in antiques that are 50-100 years old or older, and although they might sell for thousands to tens of thousands now, it took basically their lifetime (and probably the lifetimes of their parents and/or grandparents) just to appreciate to that price. By no means a very great return on investment, but a nice payday if they were just things lying around in your attic/basement for ages collecting dust.

We re not talking of a little filling issue of Tom and Jerry or something we re talking about an historic issue who have changed the history of DC comics in the early 60s, so even if i want to buy it because i love the book and want to add it to my collection everyone will agree that you r look about the value on this kind of book and even if you tought to never sell it being scammed on the value isnt a thing...

Even if @schadroch will explain to you that any dc is already dead in the bud lol

Edited by BA773