• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Penalized for unknown restoration
4 4

17 posts in this topic

I purchased a few books off eBay, that I submitted and they came back restored. I admit this was my own fault. The seller claims his grades are accurate, I'm talking 9.0+  when graded restored books came back 7.0 - 8.0. he is defending his grade by saying that if you submit a book without disclosing the restoration CGC frowns upon it and penalizes you by grading lower for it? Is this true? Or is this guy just taking every route to cover himself? 

Screenshot_20240309-170553~2.png

• Administrator
On 3/9/2024 at 7:08 PM, ThrashingZero said:

I purchased a few books off eBay, that I submitted and they came back restored. I admit this was my own fault. The seller claims his grades are accurate, I'm talking 9.0+  when graded restored books came back 7.0 - 8.0. he is defending his grade by saying that if you submit a book without disclosing the restoration CGC frowns upon it and penalizes you by grading lower for it? Is this true? Or is this guy just taking every route to cover himself? 

Hi

We do not penalize for any non disclosure of restored books.  The screenshot you posted contains wrong information.

Mike

Oh definitely, CGC penalized you for not mentioning the restoration. Yeah, that's the ticket.  :roflmao:

It's the same with page quality. If you don't mention brittle pages, CGC will grade your book Extra Brittle. 

:facepalm:

The reality is that CGC graders are advised to ignore any restoration when grading in order to arrive at a (hopefully) more impartial grade. So not only is the above statement incorrect, it's actually the complete opposite of what usually takes place... :gossip:

If you accidentally submit the book as “Supermann” instead of Superman it comes back from cgc labeled as “Superpro”

Edited by revat

On 3/10/2024 at 1:16 PM, thehumantorch said:

Was it kellyssuperheroes?

I doubt it. In cases like these, part of Danny's m.o. is to feign ignorance and then cheerfully take the return and issue the refund. He wouldn't come up with a ridiculous ploy blaming the submitter for undisclosed resto.

On 3/9/2024 at 9:49 PM, Point Five said:

Oh definitely, CGC penalized you for not mentioning the restoration. Yeah, that's the ticket.  :roflmao:

It's the same with page quality. If you don't mention brittle pages, CGC will grade your book Extra Brittle. 

If you provide them with grades and paper quality, it certainly makes their job easier.