• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent CGC PULP purchases.
4 4

62 posts in this topic

On 3/16/2024 at 4:19 PM, Robot Man said:

Seems like I have seen a LOT of pulps come back purple from CGC. I suspect that most folks did some work to “conserve” them rather than resto for profit like comics. Has always been a different market. 

I've noticed this too, but I have to say it really doesn't bother me on these. I'm just happy to get them if the price is right for me.

Wonderful pieces of time travel history. My mum is nearly 94, and that one I just posted came out when she was just three years old.  :whatthe:

The glue work is super common and varies greatly.  If it's a thin bead right along the spine with an archival glue, it's hard to tell it's there and likely can be credited for keeping the cover well-attached through various readings.  Other times the front cover glue will meander in an inch or so on the first page (annoying if it's the TOC).  Sometimes I'll find that some pulp owner has done this to almost every book in their collection - definitely a "taking care of my books" thing for lifelong owners.  No doubt cover hinges can get really delicate even on books where the interior remains totally solid.  When the glue is applied with some worry about the value of the book, it seems like it's just a drop or two at the top or bottom of the spine to guard against split or further split.

I'm mostly surprised by all the purple just cuz the preliminary interviews seemed to indicate some glue would be allowed for.  Seems good to note it, though, for collectors that are bothered. I'm not at all except when it's a heavy glue job that affects the color on an otherwise nice example of a cover (where it seeped through).

A question about slabbing. I have read that it's common for pulps to have overhang on the covers and results in quite a few trimmed books

I know that CGC rejects comics with covers that overhang but apparently they don't for pulps. The bottom of both the front and back covers on this book are curled under the interior pages inside the inner well.

I suppose this may be unavoidable but is this generally acceptable to pulp collectors?

20240316_114823.thumb.jpg.9a091d45abc36849badbc55410c05883.jpg20240316_114820.thumb.jpg.e705da7f90c06bdd5c0280b70241dec1.jpg20240316_114723.thumb.jpg.3402a4ffacc3ce2dbdac68301f7885db.jpg20240316_114635.thumb.jpg.aa30cb2abd4e54d51bbfc1e80279acae.jpg

On 3/16/2024 at 10:35 AM, BriD. said:

A question about slabbing. I have read that it's common for pulps to have overhang on the covers and results in quite a few trimmed books

I know that CGC rejects comics with covers that overhang but apparently they don't for pulps. The bottom of both the front and back covers on this book are curled under the interior pages inside the inner well.

I suppose this may be unavoidable but is this generally acceptable to pulp collectors?

20240316_114823.thumb.jpg.9a091d45abc36849badbc55410c05883.jpg20240316_114820.thumb.jpg.e705da7f90c06bdd5c0280b70241dec1.jpg20240316_114723.thumb.jpg.3402a4ffacc3ce2dbdac68301f7885db.jpg20240316_114635.thumb.jpg.aa30cb2abd4e54d51bbfc1e80279acae.jpg

Not just acceptable,  but preferred. :)

And some glue is allowed on a blue label, I got one with the glue notation.  Just not sure what their actual guidelines are.

*edit* I just read your post more carefully.  Not sure why they left it like that, strange.  Are they actually inside the pages or just flush against the bottom?

Edited by waaaghboss

On 3/16/2024 at 5:35 PM, BriD. said:

I'm only a PULP noobie, a Poobie if you will....but it don't bother me in the slightest.

On 3/16/2024 at 1:44 PM, waaaghboss said:

Not just acceptable,  but preferred. :)

And some glue is allowed on a blue label, I got one with the glue notation.  Just not sure what their actual guidelines are.

*edit* I just read your post more carefully.  Not sure why they left it like that, strange.  Are they actually inside the pages or just flush against the bottom?

The overhang of the bottom edge of the covers are curled around the bottom edge of the pages. Looking at the bottom left photo you can see the edge of the cover along the bottom of the book. Notice that the name Eando Binder is actually folded over on the edge of the type. I'm not sure why this would be preferred

Edited by BriD.

Yeah, I'd say it's not the optimal presentation.  I run into this with just bags and boards sometimes where the pulp sinks down to the bottom of the bag and you can tell that everything is sitting on the overhang.  Granted, I'm not worried about it most of the time with my beater pulps, but there are times where I'll make sure I've got the right pressure on the book so that it's kind of suspended up on the board a little bit and not sitting on any delicate bits at the bottom (and I'm sure I'm not the only one that does that with comics as well).   Presentation aside, I guess the concern is whether the overhang is getting stressed here.  I can see how there might be some give and take between stressing the books edges and making sure it doesn't shift around.  Pulps sizes can vary (I think I saw something about four different holders?) so maybe picking the right size holder during encapsulation is important.  Totally out of my element here, though, have no idea how much of the process is mechanical, what choices are available, etc.  I do know I've run into this with Weird Tales in particular where the author names are right at the very bottom and want to bend over on the overhang (in bags and boards, suspended in a mylar not a problem but it also depends on how long the overhangs been bent under and a tight fit in the mylar can still stress the overhang).  Sometimes if I get one in that's been kept like that I'll put a board between the pulp and the cover for a while and maybe with a board and a little weight on top to sort of flatten it out for a while, seems to help.  It can get flakey, though, some of these pulps have been resting on that overhang for a long, long time (shrug)

On 3/16/2024 at 10:11 PM, Darwination said:

Yeah, I'd say it's not the optimal presentation.  I run into this with just bags and boards sometimes where the pulp sinks down to the bottom of the bag and you can tell that everything is sitting on the overhang.  Granted, I'm not worried about it most of the time with my beater pulps, but there are times where I'll make sure I've got the right pressure on the book so that it's kind of suspended up on the board a little bit and not sitting on any delicate bits at the bottom (and I'm sure I'm not the only one that does that with comics as well).   Presentation aside, I guess the concern is whether the overhang is getting stressed here.  I can see how there might be some give and take between stressing the books edges and making sure it doesn't shift around.  Pulps sizes can vary (I think I saw something about four different holders?) so maybe picking the right size holder during encapsulation is important.  Totally out of my element here, though, have no idea how much of the process is mechanical, what choices are available, etc.  I do know I've run into this with Weird Tales in particular where the author names are right at the very bottom and want to bend over on the overhang (in bags and boards, suspended in a mylar not a problem but it also depends on how long the overhangs been bent under and a tight fit in the mylar can still stress the overhang).  Sometimes if I get one in that's been kept like that I'll put a board between the pulp and the cover for a while and maybe with a board and a little weight on top to sort of flatten it out for a while, seems to help.  It can get flakey, though, some of these pulps have been resting on that overhang for a long, long time (shrug)

Thanks for the info, I was thinking that it could be an issue storing them raw. But clearly you have some control over the problem in your own collection. But do you feel it's ok that it's being slabbed this way? There is no space at the top of the inner well so this seems to be the only way the book fits in there. If this was a comic slabbed like this it would probably be posted in the "where in the world was the quality control" thread. 

Edit:

I does occur to me that the inner holder may be designed with rounded edges specifically to keep the overhang from being crunched or sharply folded/creased, but I don't know. 

Edited by BriD.

On 3/16/2024 at 9:01 PM, BriD. said:

Thanks for the info, I was thinking that it could be an issue storing them raw. But clearly you have some control over the problem in your own collection. But do you feel it's ok that it's being slabbed this way? There is no space at the top of the inner well so this seems to be the only way the book fits in there. If this was a comic slabbed like this it would probably be posted in the "where in the world was the quality control" thread. 

Edit:

I does occur to me that the inner holder may be designed with rounded edges specifically to keep the overhang from being crunched or sharply folded/creased, but I don't know. 

Just search for "overhang". It was mentioned prominently in their videos. Matt specifically said the wells were designed with 45 degree angles to envelop and have room for the overhangs and that the pressure of the well on front and back would keep the book in place in the holder. 

Whether that works for every individual book remains to be seen in practice (shrug)

On 3/18/2024 at 5:50 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Just search for "overhang". It was mentioned prominently in their videos. Matt specifically said the wells were designed with 45 degree angles to envelop and have room for the overhangs and that the pressure of the well on front and back would keep the book in place in the holder. 

Whether that works for every individual book remains to be seen in practice (shrug)

I had been reading other pulp threads and I did see that video today about the inner well. At least I understand it now

On 3/12/2024 at 2:37 PM, Paul © ® 💙™ said:

I've always loved PULP covers but its always been in that shadowy unknown world of where is a pulp's place in the market?

The Pulp genre has now been given a leg up in the collecting world in my view, with the advent of CGC deciding to grade them. This of course may inflate the market BUT I do believe it will give some assurance to potential collectors.

I've always admired the risque and salacious covers, the horror element and let's face it...the downright superb artwork on some pulps.

Now that there is some sort of benchmark on their condition I really feel enthusiastic on finally collecting them.

I have no interest in cracking them because obviously it's basically all text within BUT I will enjoy collecting them purely for the cover artwork.

Anyone else jumping on the Pulp bandwagon?

Here is my first one.....

As you know, I am new to the pulp game.

10 days or so can be a helluva long time in the world of collecting. I've highlighted two bits of my original post, which quite frankly, I now feel embarrassed about.

After extensive research and searching I am very dismayed to find some dealers literally gouging buyers out there because the pulp book happens to be in a slab. Shock horror I know.

I still think CGC grading them is a positive move overall but I have now started buying raw as well which seems far more buyer friendly. I shall continue to buy the odd slab, but only if the seller does not want me to put my children in as a down payment and lend him my house every other month.