• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Canada Book Stores
1 1

21 posts in this topic

My two Toronto go tos for Silver Age back issues are not on your map.  Google Silver Snail, and Paradise Comics.  And I am happy to hear from native Torontonians if there are other good sources for Silver Age books.

As a native Torontonian I actually have nothing but bad things to say about Paradise Comics...so it's a good thing it ain't on your map :D 

I would however recommend Gotham, and highly recommend you check out The Beguiling. Silver Snail is great as well though I honestly haven't been there since their last move so cannot say for certain (but they have always been a Toronto comic staple)

Edited by Sauce Dog

Hey, when I was a kid in the 80s my comic shop in Providence, R.I. was called Excalibur.

Well, Starship Excalibur to be exact but its still cool to see another shop called Excalibur...even if it is in Canada.

Toronto Comic Con is this weekend (not sure if that is why you are in the city) but there should be a good selection of books there.  The other place that I shop for good books is CapCan Comics.  It is about an hour away from Toronto in a place called Brantford but their selection is huge and they have everything from $1 books all the way up to big keys.  They also have a website so you can shop/browse their inventory prior to going to decide if they have what you are looking for and if the trip is worth your time - https://www.captcancomics.ca/

On 3/13/2024 at 8:31 PM, LudaToke said:

The other place that I shop for good books is CapCan Comics.  It is about an hour away from Toronto in a place called Brantford but their selection is huge and they have everything from $1 books all the way up to big keys.

Good tip! An excuse to take the train to Brantford is always welcome in my book.

(thumbsu

Edited by Hepcat

Lots of people from Toronto here.  Nice to see.  I was born and raised there.  Spent the first 20 years of my life in Rocesvalles and then the next 10 on the east side in the Beaches.

What parts of the T-Dot is everyone else from?

@Sauce Dog @Hepcat - Are you guys going to Toronto Comic Con this weekend?

I was born and spent the first 25 years of my life in London. I then moved to downtown Toronto for my first job after university in 1977. After two years I moved to Clarkson in southwest Mississauga where I then lived for 20 years. Since then for nearly 25 years I've been living in what real estate agents like to call the Upper Beaches near Main and Gerrard Streets. 

:smile:

On 3/14/2024 at 4:10 PM, LudaToke said:

Lots of people from Toronto here.  Nice to see.  I was born and raised there.  Spent the first 20 years of my life in Rocesvalles and then the next 10 on the east side in the Beaches.

What parts of the T-Dot is everyone else from?

@Sauce Dog @Hepcat - Are you guys going to Toronto Comic Con this weekend?

Born in Roncesvalles....and I eventually ended up moving back there in my adult life. Unfortunately I won't be attending the con this weekend, I often skip this 'smaller' one and just save up for the main fan expo later in the year.

On 3/13/2024 at 8:31 PM, LudaToke said:

Toronto Comic Con is this weekend (not sure if that is why you are in the city) but there should be a good selection of books there.  The other place that I shop for good books is CapCan Comics.  It is about an hour away from Toronto in a place called Brantford but their selection is huge and they have everything from $1 books all the way up to big keys.  They also have a website so you can shop/browse their inventory prior to going to decide if they have what you are looking for and if the trip is worth your time - https://www.captcancomics.ca/

I HATE going to a comic store and the staff saying “ Oh, the boss is at a show this weekend with all the good stuff.”

On 3/14/2024 at 4:53 PM, Hepcat said:

I was born and spent the first 25 years of my life in London. I then moved to downtown Toronto for my first job after university in 1977. After two years I moved to Clarkson in southwest Mississauga where I then lived for 20 years. Since then for nearly 25 years I've been living in what real estate agents like to call the Upper Beaches near Main and Gerrard Streets. 

:smile:

I am in Lisgar/Meadowvale now in Mississauga.  I miss Toronto. I don't think I will ever be able to move back to Toronto with the price of houses even though I own a house in Mississauga.  Kind of crazy.

On 3/14/2024 at 8:19 PM, Sauce Dog said:

Born in Roncesvalles....and I eventually ended up moving back there in my adult life. Unfortunately I won't be attending the con this weekend, I often skip this 'smaller' one and just save up for the main fan expo later in the year.

Yes another Ronces alum! I grew up on Geoffrey St and went to Howard Park Public School. I had my first job at the Loblaws close to Dundas West and started collecting comics at a coin and stamp shop that is still in the neighborhood just at different address.

I was back in Ronces on the weekend to watch Tank Girl at the Review Theatre. That neighborhood is home for me.

On 3/14/2024 at 8:21 PM, Phicks said:

I HATE going to a comic store and the staff saying “ Oh, the boss is at a show this weekend with all the good stuff.”

Has that ever happened to you at CapCan Comics or are you just speaking about comic shops in general?

I have found the people at CapCan to be quite helpful.

On 3/15/2024 at 12:48 PM, LudaToke said:

Has that ever happened to you at CapCan Comics or are you just speaking about comic shops in general?

I have found the people at CapCan to be quite helpful.

That happened to me once at the Comics Warehouse in Kitchener.

On 3/17/2024 at 8:49 PM, WilliamLunt said:

2 months?! lucky guy, that's a fast turn around for them :D...they lost all my golden age books I submitted to them for CGC and didn't notice until I called six months after submission asking for an update (took almost another two months to find the books and send em off...with even more troubles from them in the meantime).