• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can be frustrating being a collector
3 3

13 posts in this topic

I have been buying/selling from MCS for five years now and for the most part have been very happy but something just happened that is making me question using them again

I bought all of these in the past year from MCS. When I get them I open them up to check their condition and then put back in the bag and place them in my boxes. 

Last week I sent these back to sell (I bought all of these MCS). When I bought these from MCS, none of them had the faults that are stated now (and MCS did not state these faults) and my grading was based on their previous grading

I asked MCS to return them

UGH, first CGC let me down .. now, MCS

Screen Shot 2024-03-14 at 10.29.18 AM.png

Edited by Ed Hanes

That could be frustrating, but also: One man's FN- is another man's VG+

Perhaps the variance is just in who's grading? The Spidey #123 must have been missed by them the first time around?

On 3/14/2024 at 11:07 AM, Dr. Balls said:

That could be frustrating, but also: One man's FN- is another man's VG+

Perhaps the variance is just in who's grading? The Spidey #123 must have been missed by them the first time around?

I understand the variance in giving specific grades WRT different people but to miss a detached centerfold , cover oxidation, and loose cover seems odd..especially since these are commonly listed faults on MCS grading (implies that the graders are especially trained in spotting these faults)...plus from what I have been told by MCS, they are supposed to be rechecked before final listing

That has also been my experience with MCS. Except most of the comics I've returned have never been out of the comics mylars they were shipped to me in and still graded lower when returned to MCS. As I 100% trust MCS, I've always attributed the discrepancy to tighter grading. I usually end up asking MCS to send the comics to CGC to be graded and consign them when they are returned with (almost always) higher grades than MCS assigned them.

Posted (edited)
On 3/14/2024 at 11:34 AM, Black_Adam said:

That has also been my experience with MCS. Except most of the comics I've returned have never been out of the comics mylars they were shipped to me in and still graded lower when returned to MCS. As I 100% trust MCS, I've always attributed the discrepancy to tighter grading. I usually end up asking MCS to send the comics to CGC to be graded and consign them when they are returned with (almost always) higher grades than MCS assigned them.

Yeah, I am going to end up doing that myself..I usually never send in silver/bronze raws to MCS ..had a weak moment

Edited by Ed Hanes

I no longer send MCS raw books, except for the fodder I see that they are buying. The books are worthless to me so if they give me .70 for a VF or .28 cents for a VG, it's still something for nothing.  Only recently have I noticed books they sold as VF now being graded lower when repurchased? 

On 3/14/2024 at 8:26 PM, shadroch said:

I no longer send MCS raw books, except for the fodder I see that they are buying. The books are worthless to me so if they give me .70 for a VF or .28 cents for a VG, it's still something for nothing.  Only recently have I noticed books they sold as VF now being graded lower when repurchased? 

Man stop to throw your comics to these robbers, i could pay much better :drool:

Well that sucks. 

The silver lining if you had decided to go through with the sale is people who buy there typically know the grading is super tight, and you may have still been able to get FN/VF prices for raw books they list as FN-. But of course there is no point in taking that risk, and it doesnt change the reason for being frustrated to begin with.

All unwanted books of mine were sold to MCS. I didn't care about them if the big differences in grading. Only 10% of my grades were matched (some grades were better than mine).

Any valuable books were undergraded severely by MCS were returned back to me rather than selling them cheap to MCS.

I always graded all unwanted books at GD.  They will give them the better grades by 2 to 4 points.

Posted (edited)
On 3/15/2024 at 8:46 AM, JollyComics said:

All unwanted books of mine were sold to MCS. I didn't care about them if the big differences in grading. Only 10% of my grades were matched (some grades were better than mine).

Any valuable books were undergraded severely by MCS were returned back to me rather than selling them cheap to MCS.

I always graded all unwanted books at GD.  They will give them the better grades by 2 to 4 points.

The difference here being... the grades that I offered were on the same books/same grades that MCS sold me just a couple months before. Any comics I send to them that I bought elsewhere I just trust their grading as I don't know otherwise. The main problem here is not the downgrading, it's the oversight of faults that they should have seen before they sold the first time around..fairly major faults that I have become accustomed to seeing them.. document before I buy. For example, I would not have bought issue 60 knowing it had a detached centerfold.

Edited by Ed Hanes

On 3/19/2024 at 12:00 PM, shadroch said:

MCS sold you a book with a detached centerfold?  Why not simply return it?

I didnt check when I got it..I put my trust in them 

It was also number 52..no mention of cover oxidation when I bought it

and number 123 loose at staple ..which I dont remember seeing but that can be very subjective

If I do buy from them again I will make sure to check everything 

On 3/19/2024 at 9:03 PM, Ed Hanes said:

I didnt check when I got it..I put my trust in them 

It was also number 52..no mention of cover oxidation when I bought it

and number 123 loose at staple ..which I dont remember seeing but that can be very subjective

If I do buy from them again I will make sure to check everything 

Well this stinks.  I would chalk it up to different graders and in the case of the book with a huge discrepancy I'd imagine the first grader just missed the defect.  I can see how frustrating this would be.