• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Point Five's 5th Annual Grading Contest: FINAL RESULTS
1 1

23 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Round 4 Grade Distributions:

Book 11: Fight Comics #27: CGC 4.0q

Book 12: True Love Pictorial #6: CGC 3.0

Book 13: Crime Mysteries #14: CGC 6.0

Book 14: Superman #17: CGC 2.5

ScreenShot2024-03-15at10_25_38PM.png.1319e62afc65355b95ecd79bad4f9a09.png

Edited by Point Five

On 3/15/2024 at 7:22 PM, Point Five said:

Congratulations to @grendelbo, winner of Point Five's 5th Annual Grading Contest!!!  :applause: :banana: (worship)

Honorable mention to @jbpez and @TheTallGuy, taking the silver and bronze slots respectively!!!

Cheers all!!!  :cheers:

Those guys KNOW GA low/midgrade grading! (worship)

On 3/15/2024 at 10:22 PM, Point Five said:

Final Results:   

All the guys at the top racked up some crazy impressive numbers for sure... but we have a winner.

Congratulations to @grendelbo, winner of Point Five's 5th Annual Grading Contest!!!  :applause: :banana: (worship)

Honorable mention to @jbpez and @TheTallGuy, taking the silver and bronze slots respectively!!!

Cheers all!!!  :cheers:

ScreenShot2024-03-15at10_10_55PM.thumb.png.c78531b4f6d3ca213d1af3661c8591b4.png

I got a DM saying my grades were recorded for the last round, but they didn't make it to this spreadsheet. I didn't win, but did pick up 10 points on the last round, for a final score of 38, tying for 16th place.

Edited by paqart

I need sleep but one last thing.

Maybe @zzutakwill chime in tomorrow with some means and modes, but until then I'll leave his wise words which are always great to read and figure after a contest. 

(worship)

So, just for kicks, recalculate your total Contest #3 score using "signed deltas": -2 for your guess being 2 grade increments too low, -1 for your guess being 1 grade increment too low, 0 for a bullseye, +1 for your guess being 1 grade increment too high, +2 for your guess being 2 grade increments too high, and so on.  What's your cumulative 20-book tally now?  Did the errors to the low side and high side more or less balance out?  Or is your tally way negative or way positive (in which case you're consistently being too strict or too lenient with your condition assessments)?

Chances are your score using signed deltas will be much smaller than your score using absolute/unsigned deltas.  If that's the case, your errors are balancing out (which is exactly what Ed predicted would happen for a decent grader).  Here's an example using my own Round 1+2+3+4 guesses (20 books):

5 Bullseyes = 0

3 times my guess was one grade increment too low = -3

7 times my guess was one grade increment too high = +7

3 times my guess was two grade increments too low = -6

2 times my guess was two grade increments too high = +4

My total signed delta score would be 0 - 3 + 7 - 6 + 4 = +2 for the 20-book challenge.  That's an average error of one-tenth of one grade increment (0.1).    Compare that to my total absolute/unsigned delta score (my actual contest score) of 20, or an average error of one grade increment per book.  This is exactly what Ed Jaster predicted would happen for a person whose grading standards are essentially in line with CGC's.

Here are my grade increments:

Bull - 5

Two increments too low - 3

One increment too low - 2

One increment too high - 2

Two increments too high - 1

Five increments too high - 1 (Stupid Battlefront I had a 5.0 and it was 2.5)

So I pulled 0 - 6 - 2 + 2 +2 +5 = +1

So I'm not sure that logic works where I have one outlier offsetting other bad grades, but in your case GB where you're never more than two off it probably makes sense.

On 3/15/2024 at 11:56 PM, Matt1982 said:

Here are my grade increments:

Bull - 5

Two increments too low - 3

One increment too low - 2

One increment too high - 2

Two increments too high - 1

Five increments too high - 1 (Stupid Battlefront I had a 5.0 and it was 2.5)

So I pulled 0 - 6 - 2 + 2 +2 +5 = +1

So I'm not sure that logic works where I have one outlier offsetting other bad grades, but in your case GB where you're never more than two off it probably makes sense.

(thumbsu

On 3/15/2024 at 11:45 PM, paqart said:

I got a DM saying my grades were recorded for the last round, but they didn't make it to this spreadsheet. I didn't win, but did pick up 10 points on the last round, for a final score of 38, tying for 16th place.

I do see your last four grades in the spreadsheet in the top post... 3, 3, 1, 3. Nothing has changed since I posted the chart last night. Check again?

Happy to make the fix if I screwed something up (always possible) but it looks right to me.  (shrug)

On 3/16/2024 at 12:01 AM, grendelbo said:

I need sleep but one last thing.

Maybe @zzutakwill chime in tomorrow with some means and modes, but until then I'll leave his wise words which are always great to read and figure after a contest. 

(worship)

So, just for kicks, recalculate your total Contest #3 score using "signed deltas": -2 for your guess being 2 grade increments too low, -1 for your guess being 1 grade increment too low, 0 for a bullseye, +1 for your guess being 1 grade increment too high, +2 for your guess being 2 grade increments too high, and so on.  What's your cumulative 20-book tally now?  Did the errors to the low side and high side more or less balance out?  Or is your tally way negative or way positive (in which case you're consistently being too strict or too lenient with your condition assessments)?

Chances are your score using signed deltas will be much smaller than your score using absolute/unsigned deltas.  If that's the case, your errors are balancing out (which is exactly what Ed predicted would happen for a decent grader).  Here's an example using my own Round 1+2+3+4 guesses (20 books):

5 Bullseyes = 0

3 times my guess was one grade increment too low = -3

7 times my guess was one grade increment too high = +7

3 times my guess was two grade increments too low = -6

2 times my guess was two grade increments too high = +4

My total signed delta score would be 0 - 3 + 7 - 6 + 4 = +2 for the 20-book challenge.  That's an average error of one-tenth of one grade increment (0.1).    Compare that to my total absolute/unsigned delta score (my actual contest score) of 20, or an average error of one grade increment per book.  This is exactly what Ed Jaster predicted would happen for a person whose grading standards are essentially in line with CGC's.

For me I ended up dead even? I assume one extra point for each additonal grade miss.

My takeaway is that I'm in the ballpark (-1, 0, +1) a majority of the time and when I whiff, I whiff hard lol

4 Bullseyes = 0

6 times my guess was one grade increment too low = -6

1 times my guess was one grade increment too high = +1

1 times my guess was two grade increments too low = -2

0 times my guess was two grade increments too high = 0

1 times my guess was three grade increments too high = +3

1 times my guess was four grade increments too high = +4

Thanks @Point Five for a great contest! 

On 3/16/2024 at 2:49 AM, Point Five said:

Sorry... one more quick thank you as the end credits roll.

My thanks as always to @sckao, who set up the Excel scoring sheet that I use for these contests back in 2020. I would not be able to program this scoring (or do it manually) to save my life. Not sure if he's still around here but his kindness is not forgotten. Thanks, Shin!

Well said.

Jon, thanks for running this contest again. It puts a smile on my face every time and I appreciate all the effort you go to as, I'm sure, do all the players. Well done mate. Hopefully see you next time :)